• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Gypsy" strikes in Seattle

Daddy-A

Something I spied in the Seattle Weekly online about a group called Gypsy. Classified as an "underground fine dining fraternity", they produce "raves" for foodies.

Anybody know if something like that exists here? If not, what can be done to start it? :hmmm:

DA

Actually, I few friends of mine had discussed this at length. The concept was original in our minds at the time, but then I read about a similar concept in Tim Taylor's book, Stanley Park.

The idea is not without its challenges, but was exciting when we were contemplating potential locations. Perhaps I'll re-seed his brain and we can put something together. We'll make it exclusive to gulleteers perhaps.

I'm no expert on the restaurant industry, but I know a thing or two about drug abuse ...

-Daddy-A (Kitchen Troll)

The author seemed to add maybe a little more subterfuge and intrigue than was required, perhaps because otherwise all you're left with is the concept of hiring a chef to cook a meal for you in a private residence. I think he's (she?) saw the orgy scene in "Eye's Wide Shut" once too many times. No secret knocks, or covert disguises required.

As a graduate of the rave scene, my imagination was piqued by thoughts of phat beats and fine dining!! But then I read the article and agree with Keith:

maybe a little more subterfuge and intrigue than was required, perhaps because otherwise all you're left with is the concept of hiring a chef to cook a meal for you in a private residence.

My idea of an Underground Dining Event: a unique dining location (preferably outdoors in the summer) decorated fabulously set maybe for an unusual time of the day (or night) that involves a bit of work getting to, a renowned chef(s) (local or international), and, of course, great company (and phat beats!! hehe)!!

If anyone can put that together, I'll be at the table.

Edited by tasty (log)

Exactly, this is what you get when image obsessed Gen-X grows up. The attempt to imbibe a traditional activity with underground street cred. Kinda sad really. No suprise that it comes out of Seattle.

And for no other raason than to be more politically correct than you (as in you the reader, not you the poster who originally began the thread,) Gypsy is a (semi) racial slur. Romany is the preferred term. And spending a little time in the south of Europe will make you question if maybe your whole liberal worldview is a social construct and a lie, because everyone turns into Archie Bunker eventually muttering "F'ing Gypsys" under there breath at least once while there.

And if this whole "too cool for you, hyper exclusive dining thing" is going to get pulled off, maybe we could go to work on the high end "Eye's Wide Shut" orgy thing next. Who's got a mansion in the country and knows fifty 25 year old dancers that are adventurous and willing?

Exactly, this is what you get when image obsessed Gen-X grows up. The attempt to imbibe a traditional activity with underground street cred. Kinda sad really. No suprise that it comes out of Seattle.

So I guess we'd expect a Kurt Cobain-type chef in a mac jacket then?

DA

Excuse Me?

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

So is this going to turn into a Vancouver vs. Seattle thing? Does anyone have anything to say about this underground dinner thing? Let's face it Gentlemen's clubs in jolly old England have been doing this sorty of thing for a couple of centuries, so it's not exactly fresh.

I agree that Seattle is the core of Gen X thinking, with Microsoft, Starbuck's and Nintendo being large players in the community. Let's not forget that the very term Generation X comes from West Van's own Douglas Copeland. So we are not without blame here.

I am by no means a world traveller, but I have never been to two cities who share more in common then Vancouver and Seattle.

As for secret dinners in clandestine locations. I geuss I'm just getting too old for that sort of thing. How much better could it be then the patio at Parkside or one of the kitchen side tables at West? Put me down for a couple of those 25 year old dancers though.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Sorry to disappoint you folks, but underground restaurants have been around for a while now, and most certainly did not come from Seattle.. Caution: this story quotes the "other" message board.

I have eaten at an underground restaurant in Seattle (not Gypsy) and can tell you that it was a lovely experience. It was a pleasant sunny evening and our group sat outside around a fire enjoying cocktails, nibbles and conversation both before and after the meal. The meal itself was great. It felt like hiring a personal chef for the evening. We got to eat fantastic food and participate in lively discussions without having to cook or clean. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

See, that article comes far closer to "underground dining" rather some some catered picnic or dinner party that smells like teen spirit.

If anyone knew of a chef operating on the sly here in Vancouver, I'd like to know about it.

Really though it just sounds like most third world restaurants, I've never been to Cuba, but I hear this type of thing is very popular there. I ate at the (unjustifiably) famous Li Family Restaurant in Beijing recently. It comes as close as anything to the intent of the concept. Dining in his house, served by family, although he has commercialized the venture to a large extent recently.

So is this going to turn into a Vancouver vs. Seattle thing?

I was questioning the insult.

Edited by lala (log)

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

This has been going on in Van for a few years now. It is on the sly so of course, no one is just going to just tell you about it. It operates on an invite only basis and as far as I can tell occurs on a somewhat monthly basis. You definitely have to know someone who knows someone! Good luck.

Let's face it Gentlemen's clubs in jolly old England have been doing this sorty of thing for a couple of centuries, so it's not exactly fresh.

Reminds me of that Cook's Tour episode when Bourdain went to Portugal. The men's dining club...damn that was good eatin'! And then at the end of the show all the women took him around town food-hopping Portugal style. Sweet.

sorry, kinda off topic.

This has been going on in Van for a few years now. It is on the sly so of course, no one is just going to just tell you about it. It operates on an invite only basis and as far as I can tell occurs on a somewhat monthly basis. You definitely have to know someone who knows someone! Good luck.

I know it has been going on for quite a number of years and it is a secret society, unfortunatley i am not in that society. But I have had a few friends invited, and said it is a crazy experience. I am not sure if you are talking about the chef that has a house of 'the drive' and he doesn't just serve food

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

Reminds me of that Cook's Tour episode when Bourdain went to Portugal. The men's dining club...damn that was good eatin'! And then at the end of the show all the women took him around town food-hopping Portugal style. Sweet.

I would have ditched the men from the get go. Who needs 'em? The women were (and generally are) much more fun than the men and seemed to know where the sure enough, real deal eating and drinking was going on.

Back to our regularly scheduled topic-

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Being the petty consumate nitpicker, I've gotta observe that I beleive those were two different episodes, or at least took place in Spain rather than Portugal.

You are correct sir! :biggrin: Now that I think about it ... Bourdain probably does the "underground eating" thing better than anyone.

The author seemed to add maybe a little more subterfuge and intrigue than was required, perhaps because otherwise all you're left with is the concept of hiring a chef to cook a meal for you in a private residence.

Just what I was thinking after I read the article. I think what interested me perhaps was the concept of having an "exclusive" experience ... somewhat like that special fly-fishing spot, or favorite look-out, or obscure musician ... that you'd much rather nobody else discovered lest it be somehow spoiled by becoming popular or mainstream.

Maybe some of the new restaurants offered up by jamiemaw will meet the need.

Okay, now my curiousity is piqued. Do elaborate DameD.

Well from what i hear the 9 course meal starts with a joint and ends with one. It may sound a little hokey, but it is a very elaborate affair. You all sit a round table and the chef doesn't really talk, just cooks and then comes out at the end of the night, (which finishes around 2am). It happens every few months (or used to) .

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

A joint? In Vancouver? Bull.

Seriously though, why? I try not to be too judgemental, but a joint? Like in grade nine? Fair enough, I'm not so far removed from my youth that I don't remeber the hunger inducing aspect, although the craving was usually for Doritos and KFC, rather than tuna tartare served in a sea urchin shell, but whatever.

And we wonder why the rest of the country makes fun of us.