• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My "First Pastry Job" Blog

jeniac42

I have a question for you Jeniac. I'm not familar with the peaches you refered to and posted photos of earilier (although I was interested because their lovely)........then today I was looking thru a baking book "Sweet Sicily" and there was a photo of a peach (but no accompanying recipe, it was in a larger photo showing something else) very similar looking to yours. So is this an authentic Italian dessert, do you work in an Italian restaurant? I had no hints about it's history, recipe or origins until now. I need to do an Italian buffet this week at work and I might like to make these.............

FWIW, Wendy, Balducci's used to sell peaches like that -- spongecake filled with pastry cream, I think, and decorated to look like fresh peaches -- that they sourced from Veniero's, a majorly old-school Italian bakery in the East Village. So they must have SOME genuine Italian provenence.

Wow, I had no idea they had an Italian background. The shop does Austrian/German stuff, primarily. I've been trying to find out if they're traditional and what the story is, so if anyone else knows I'd love to hear it.

Jennie

• 2 weeks later...

My apologies for not posting anything lately. Since my wrist went out, I haven't been doing much baking; mostly I get stuck putting away everyone else's baked goods and working the hot line all night. Disappointing for me and not much fun reading. I'll try to come up with something soon!

Jennie