• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in Princeton

hillvalley

Les Copains - Whats the story?

When I lived in Princeton (3+ yrs ago), we used to frequent this restaurant. Sunday brunch was great and included a devine lobster and black truffle sandwich.

I understand that it has closed its doors. Whatever happened to it? Are they planning to reopen another restaurant?

For the BEST chinese food in the Princeton area you have to visit Schezwan Ace, which is actually located off Rt 27 in New Brunswick

This is a hole in the wall place, but believe me, the food has been consistently great (I have been visiting it for over 10 yrs) and I now make the occassional 3yr trek from my home just for lunch or dinner.

If you like SPICY, un-pretentious chinese food, then this is THE place.

Order the dumplings in hot oil, beef with spicy peppers, eggplant in garlic sauce, ja-ja mein (sp?) and string beans with garlic.

Just posting this makes we want to get in my car and make the 3 yr trek to get the food.

8.  Hoagie Haven, "The Haven" to everyone except Westminster Choir College students who inexplicably call it "Hoagies".  God I hope that it is still open.  It is an institution.  Bacon Cheesesteak.  Or even the chicken fingers.  It will be greasey, it may have things in it that belong in the "Foreign Objects" thread.  You will get over it.  You will eat everything, and you will be happy about it.  Take Out.

Fortunately Hoagie Haven is still open and thriving. Just about a month ago I had one of their famous hamburgers with sauted onions and a fried egg on top (not many places make it like this anymore)....and it was GREAT !!

Edited by percyn (log)

I don't think they are there anymore. I went for lunch and there was a japanese couple behind the bar. It looked like they owned the place.

Sakura is still owned by Albert and Andrew. I was just there recently. I think they were on vacation. The sushi there is quite cheap (especially for a student budget) and good...try the marble roll and the spicy tuna roll.

Other great places:

Witherspoon Bread Company--one of my favorite bakeries, fabulous biscotti

Blue Pointe Grill--my favorite place for fish! It's all freshly caught and prepared very simply.

Bent Spoon--I agree with all the previous posts. The sorbet here is amazing.

Good Chinese places near Princeton:

Happy City--someone mentioned this one, and I think the food is pretty authentic. However, be forewarned, my friends and I have questioned the sanitary conditions. I have actually had indigestion problems a couple times after eating there.

Sunny Garden--good, expensive Chinese food. :) It's not terribly authentic, but I like the stir-fry lamb and basil.

Shanghai Park--my goodness, the "xiao long bao" here are remarkable. It's a ways up Rt. 27 into Highland Park, but it's well worth it.

Great Shanghai--this is perhaps the best Chinese restaurant in the area. (I have yet to try Szechuan Ace.) The dim sum is good, and the main dishes are spectacular as well. Very authentic, flavorful...great atmosphere as well. I believe it's in Edison.

Penang--not quite chinese, but it's very good. :) The menu is an extensive one, and chances are there is something for everyone. They even have a good dessert menu! (which is unusual for asian restaurants)

Welcome lady. I am so jealous of your proximity to the Bent Spoon. Do they have tomato yet?

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Les Copains - Whats the story?

When I lived in Princeton (3+ yrs ago), we used to frequent this restaurant. Sunday brunch was great and included a devine lobster and black truffle sandwich.

I understand that it has closed its doors. Whatever happened to it? Are they planning to reopen another restaurant?

Sadly enough, it's closed for good and a Subway is taking its place. I never had a chance to eat there--so sad. Subway replacing Les Copains! *sigh*

If you like SPICY, un-pretentious chinese food, then this is THE place.

Order the dumplings in hot oil, beef with spicy peppers, eggplant in garlic sauce, ja-ja mein (sp?) and string beans with garlic.

Here is a pic of the dumplings in hot oil, if anyone can help identify its proper name, I would appreciate it.

gallery_21049_18_1094490192.jpg

Thanks

No one mentioned The Lawrenceville Inn Only 6 miles south of Princeton.

Squashblossom started a thread on it here

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe