• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dissapointed w/ Peking Garden In Raleigh

s9498

I had DH take me to Peking Garden for mother's day b/c I think it's the best Chinese in North Raleigh. I was extremely dissapointed to see that they no longer had a traditional chinese menu anymore. In their defense I didn't ask and tried to pick some of their chef's specials that had some of the selection from the traditional menu.

Where am I going to go for good chinese? I saw your list for the Triangle Dinner group, but I've only been to China One for good Dim Sum. Is there anything closer to North Raleigh? I've heard people talk about 5 Star downtown, but the same people also like the local crap take out.

Thanks!

Well, this is upsetting. They were always the place we relied on. Maybe they are having financial problems since their place in Glenwood South (Cody's) is not doing well. The food there is not very good, although a bunch of us went after seeing "Eat, Drink, Man, Woman" and were the only people there and we got the chef just to make us a series of dishes and they were GREAT! When we call Peking Garden for take-out, they always try to talk us in getting it delivered. I say, "no, I'll come get it" afraid that they will deliver it from Cody's, since we live downtown.

We go to NeoChina in Cary for dim sum and think it is great, although we are not thrilled with either NeoChina's regular day menu.

My Chinese friends say Ma Ma Wok in Cary is the best. I, so far, have only been there for dim sum. It was good, but did not have the variety (or the carts) that NeoChina has.

• 1 month later...

Neo China was by far the best chinese food I had ever had in NC total. I went to the one in raleigh. The menu was fantastic and anyone who says it is NOT just does know chinese food. They made some of the freshest and most tasty food with huge portions I have ever had. Veg oil and no MSG. Great atmosphere and great service. Listen to a East Coast Chinese food junkie. Try Neo China. You will LOVE it!!!!

Neo China was by far the best chinese food I had ever had in NC total. I went to the one in raleigh. The menu was fantastic and anyone who says it is NOT just does know chinese food. They made some of the freshest and most tasty food with huge portions I have ever had. Veg oil and no MSG. Great atmosphere and great service. Listen to a East Coast Chinese food junkie. Try Neo China. You will LOVE it!!!!

I've not been to Peking Garden in Raleigh but I have been to the Neo China in Durham. It's pretty good but certainly not worthy of the title of best Chinese food in NC.

The menu is not authentic Chinese and this is confirmed because Asians do not flock to this restaurant (at least not the Durham branch).

The opposite is the case at China One and Hong Kong, both in Durham. I prefer both for Chinese food (though I've only had the dim sum at Hong Kong).

Foodie Penguin

Neo China is known for the freshness of their food. They have never claimed to be an overly "authentic" Chinese restaurant. It's mighty tasty; I go there often; but it's really Chinese-American food.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Neo China is known for the freshness of their food. They have never claimed to be an overly "authentic" Chinese restaurant. It's mighty tasty; I go there often; but it's really Chinese-American food.

Yeah. I think the name says it. They aren't calling themselves "Authentic China". They didn't pick the name "Neo-China" for nothing. The food is tasty, but it ain't the real McCoy. I am pretty spoiled by hanging out in Chinatown in NYC since I was a lad, but I haven't found anything down here I would call authentic

Neo China is known for the freshness of their food.  They have never claimed to be an overly "authentic" Chinese restaurant.  It's mighty tasty; I go there often; but it's really Chinese-American food.

My reference to authentic Chinese food and Neo China is directed at member, JerzeeTomato who gave Neo China the accolade, "Neo China was by far the best chinese food I had ever had in NC total."

He/she may not be able to distinguish/unaware that there is Chinese food and Chinese American food.

I know Neo China is not authentic Chinese food and that's why I go elsewhere. I personally don't care for American Chinese food since I'm more familiar with authentic Chinese food (via Chinatown in London, UK and having Chinese friends).

Foodie Penguin

Edited by Foodie_Penguin (log)

Foodie Penguiin, that was the reason for my post too, I just had less diplomacy, I guess. It just gets my goat when someone who disagrees with my opinion on a subjective issue tells me that I must be an idget because I don't agree with them. A personal problem I know. :blink:

I agree with ya'll about NeoChina. It is fresh and good Chinese-American. I just prefer the more authentic, although I will admit that I often disagree with my chinese friends about what I like. They like Hong Kong's dim sum better than NeoChina's. I like NeoChina's dim sum cause it is not as greasy, at least to me. I do find it amusing when the servers don't tell us everything they have unless we have Chinese friends with us, as they assume we don't want the more traditional dishes. You should see the look on their faces when my five year old peers into the cart and says "do you have any jellyfish in there?"

Varmint, if you live where I think you do, I have a question for you, as I think we are neighbors. How did you get your house looking so good?