• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Excerpts from Gluttony at Table #1

Rosie

A NJ eGullet poster, employee X, has a very tantilizing story here about how an incompetent restaurant runs from its accountant's perspective. Tony Bourdain wrote the intro and called the series a samizdat Kitchen Confidential.

http://egullet.com/?pg=ARTICLE-gluttony1

Great stuff.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

O.K., help a brother out. What is a samizdat? I read, searching on the egullet google site and Bourdain used it to describe a Dishwasher book.

Rosie, are you going to release a little more of this story? It's got me wanting to read a little more.

I’m thrilled that this material is finally seeing the light of day. Being one of the lucky recipients of the dispatches Bourdain referred to, and, not wishing to give anything away, I can only say that you guys are in for a treat :biggrin:

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

Employee X has graciously agreed to provide more of his story. Look for upcoming issues in TDG over the next several weeks. :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Samizdat was the name for clandestinely printed and circulated material the USSR government had suppressed or would have suppressed had it been aware of it.

I think it now can mean anything unauthorized or 'underground'.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in a foul mood right now and had held promise for these excerpts but this is basiclly everyday in the business. Shit, this a fucking fairytail weekly diary for what I go through. I wish whomever wrote this book the best of luck with this publication, but if this sells, I've got a humdinger about this thing we do. Drugs, sex, adultry, blah, blah, blah. Bourdain is really the only writer I've read who grasps the whole thing. Though, I'd drink with Ripert and Rulhman.

I should actually invest my time in writing my life story instead of lurking on egullet. Ahhh, I'll hire a ghostwriter who's a good designated driver and spellchecker.

• 4 weeks later...

I should actually invest my time in writing my life story instead of lurking on  egullet. Ahhh, I'll hire a ghostwriter who's a good designated driver and spellchecker.

I have sterling qualifications on all 3 counts. :biggrin:

Also, I'm available. :wink:

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845