• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktails That Will Never Work -- But They Do

slkinsey

Oh!  All of this Fernet! 

Branca!

Menta!

I remember seeing a bottle of Fernet Menta somewhere on my travels, can't remember where though and I didn't taste it.  :sad:

Must. Obtain. A. Bottle.

Interesting that you can't find it there. I've always thought it was very commonly found. Bummer. Anyway, no reason to limit yourself to just Fernet Branca and Brancamenta. The Fratelli Branca Distillerie Milan makes some other stuff too... Stravecchio Branca sounds extremely interesting. There's also the whole Carpano family, also made by the Fratelli Branca: Punt e Mes, Classico, Bianco, and Antica Formula. They even make a Chianti Classico Villa Branca.

A very interesting "Stinger" could be made with Stravecchio Branca and Brancamenta.

--

Just imagine 15 portly gentleman on a weekend wack 'em and stack 'em fishing trip standing in front of your bar trying to figure out what the best way to get stupid drunk is. As follows:

"Absinthe, what's Absinthe."

"Who cares what it is sir, it's the European variety with 70% alcohol"

"What should we mix it with....it seems a little strong."

"Well maybe tequila and jagermeister sir....they have less alcohol in them....40% or so."

1 oz El Jimador

1 oz jager

2 oz Absinthe

pour into champagne flute and shoot

1 oz El Jimador

1 oz jager

2 oz Absinthe

pour into champagne flute and shoot

Oh my. I wouldn't survive!

We did our LI Iced Teas with the clears, triple sec, sour, and cola, and would do special-Teas with peach schnapps or chambord.

Welcome to eG Delirium. :cool:

LIT's have countless variations with fun names like Long Beach Ice Tea, Gilligan's Island, Boston Ice Tea, Purple Rain (or an Opal as it is known in some parts) and old 80's Electric Lemonade.... I'm sure there are more and a couple I've forgotten.

Thanks for the welcome beans!

Having tended bar for years on Long Island (where I live), I've grown accustomed to the myriad variations of the LIT! I was quite surprised when I worked in the Bahamas for a few summers, that they even have an interesting version of the LIT!

Edited by Delirium (log)

tequila and absinthe mixes surprisingly well as a shot.

won't touch it again though as last time i indulged in that combo ended up w a broken collarbone.

absinthe pastis or death in the afternoon seem to be the safest way of drinking the stuff,

also nice w pistachio + apple, passionfruit, raspberry and in sazerac's, mmmmmmmm sazeracs!

think i may have a absinthe problem

'the trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass'