• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: (Excerpts from) Gluttony at Table #1

In that case, you should enjoy the latest installment of the series: A Tale of Two Bartenders

Murph could probably kick the shit out of most people while blindfolded and with one arm tied behind her back. In other words, you don't wanna mess with Murph. She's old enough to be Rewpert's grandmother and has been bartending since prohibition was lifted.

Things are looking up!

"Employee X, write a memo." Staff memorandum -- please throw your drug paraphernalia in the garbage across the street. Thank you for your cooperation. --Management . . .

Part 9: A Revelation at the Beet

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet home page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Anybody figured out the restaurant yet?

Maybe we're never supposed to know....

PM me with thoughts! :wink:

Andrew Baber

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya?

The Gentleman Gourmand

Enjoy this guilty pleasure while you can...only one more installment left in the series after this!

Say it ain't so!!! What are we going to read to amuse ourselves around here? Is there a book deal? Don't just cut us off!

Walt Nissen -- Livermore, CA

Enjoy this guilty pleasure while you can...only one more installment left in the series after this!

NO! :shock: Say it ain't so.

I will miss this very much...

These stories remind me of every law firm I have ever worked in...knuckleheads everywhere, not just in the restaurant trade... :raz:

Edited by shelly59 (log)

Damn! I wanted do see the Beet implode, but I guess X wasn't around to chronicle that.

Well, unless Employee X is being deliberately misleading, The Beet is still around...

Walt Nissen -- Livermore, CA

That's it? Come on, I've enjoyed reading these every Monday. It really was somethng to look forward to. There has to be more.

Like, Employee X gets a new job and lives happily ever after. Or maybe Employee X goes back, kills the B's and is relased, as the jury recoginizes justifiable homicide when they see it.

Trish -- you mean that has an absolutely gorgeous sink but stocks it with cheapo z-fold paper towels?

That's C-fold, ya know, the kind you find at the Port Authority.

With the coaxing of a few whackos, Employee X agreed to let me relate the following. THANK YOU THANK YOU and that’s a BIGTIME THANKS. And there are so many to thank. The wonderful comments here [almost] made his 18 months of torture at the beet worth it. And the eglutton staff knocked X’s socks off with their professionalism and assistance. He’d love to name them all but there were so many who lent a hand. He’s afraid he’ll overlook someone and be banished to standing in the corner. Suffice to say, eglutton is a class act.

Most all, a huge thanks to X’s Dad, Rosie - the NJ eglutton czaress and Tony Bourdain. GAT #1would never have been finished if not for the motivation and inspiration they provided. And that’s the truth, 100%.

It remains to be seen whether the manuscript will ever hit the shelves of amazon.com. It’s still a pipedream, though negotiations are in progress. It should be understood that X does not consider himself a writer and he has never been published.

GAT #1 was not originally intended for anyone’s eyeballs except a few acquaintances and friends. The original purpose of it was as a vent and an outlet for X’s klutzy and bumbling writing. Whatever happens, it served its purpose well.