• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipe Contest - 2

could even be a wax coating thing.

incidentally for y'all talking about having to eat eggplant for a week - just think about me and the asparagus contest. and asparagus side-effects. and then be thankful. :-)

The recipe is correct, at least its the way I made it. I took careful notes. The coconut milk and yogurt do go into the batter, and the water is used to thin it a bit. I didn't have any trouble with the batter not sticking to the slices, so I am clueless how to advise. I cut the slices and then immediatly dipped them into the batter and then right into the oil.

I'm at a complete loss as to why the batter isnt sticking for you. :blink:

Thanks for clarifying, I am very keen so I'll try it again today. I hope it works for the others too.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

Tryska

:laugh: True we should not be cribbing :smile:

Nessa

I guess the problem is also the type of ingredients - apart from what Bong has mentioned about the eggplants, there is also the 'density' of the liquids/semi-liquids. I'm going to use canned coconut milk and thick greek yogurt.

Pardon my ignorance, but I did not realize that there was uncanned coconut milk. Thick greek yogurt sounds really good, I love that stuff.

Pardon my ignorance, but I did not realize that there was uncanned coconut milk.

There's fresh coconut milk, Nessa.

But you have to have a fresh coconut in order to make it. :biggrin:

Michael aka "Pan"

Pardon my ignorance, but I did not realize that  there was uncanned coconut milk.  Thick greek yogurt sounds really good, I love that stuff.

:laugh: Uncanned coconut milk...

I have in my freezer home-made thick and thin coconut milk. Grate the fresh coconuts, add a wee bit of water, grind to a paste and strain the milk (this is the thick milk). Repeat the procedure and you get thin milk...

And then there's the famous (even used in India) coconut milk powder... :biggrin:

AND THE WINNER IS --------------------------------

Quote from the judges:

"Nessa is the winner – her recipe was original, she gave the pakoras recipe a new twist, the sauce was ready in a wink. It tasted a bit like coconut chutney that’s how I’m going to make coconut chutney when I’m in a hurry!"

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Nessa-- many many congratulations!

And a HUGE thanks to our judges Episure and Bague25 who spent so much time and effort on this contest (and have SWORN of eggplants for a while!!!)

If you have ideas for the next contest.. send them my way!!

Thanks to all who participated :wub:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

I'm totally shocked! But thrilled, none the less!

And certainly thanks to the judges. I understand being tired of eggplant..... I had to eat that entire batch myself. :hmmm:

But seriously, thanks for the oppurtunity. I feel that I learned, and that was my goal. I'm no longer scared of eggplants. As a matter of fact, they are moving up in rank towards one of my favorites. Who knew?

I'm no longer scared of eggplants. As a matter of fact, they are moving up in rank towards one of my favorites. Who knew?

I could be imagining but I think I saw some eggplants cowering to the back of the vegetable counter as they saw me walk by.

Word must have passed that here is a guy who is buying eggplants like crazy. :biggrin:

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com