• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 2001 Las Rocas de San Alejandro V.V.

Jean Brislance

2001 Las Rocas de San Alejandro Vinas Viejas Garnacha - Very dark purple color. The aroma is a little like a big Aussie Shiraz...blackberry liqueur, vanilla, and oak, and also a little bit "grapey." Big flavors of blackberry, blueberry, cocoa, pepper, and oak. Still pretty tight, with firm tannins that really make their presence known on the long, spicy, and oaky finish. The oak seems to throw it out of balance, in my humble opinion. Extremely "New World" in style. I never would have guessed this was Spanish. Not recommended with food! This absolutely overpowered tonight's dinner of chicken and pasta with a saffron sauce. Definitely one for sipping on its own. Oh well, live and learn...

Jean

I am sorry to read this.

For me Old vine Grenache pictures gentleness, elegance and harmony. To read that such a wine smells like the down under jam and is overpowered by oak disturbs me.

This is one type of grape that does not stand too much oak.

Try the Martines Bujanda 1995 Garnacha as a compensation...

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

I am sorry to read this.

For me Old vine Grenache pictures gentleness, elegance and harmony. To read that such a wine smells like the down under jam and is overpowered by oak disturbs me.

This is one type of grape that does not stand too much oak.

Try the Martines Bujanda 1995 Garnacha as a compensation...

Andre, in a blind tasting, I swear I could have easily mistaken it for something like a Marquis-Philips Shiraz. It smelled very New World and manufactured. Now, I should clarify that I don't mind a New World manufactured fruit-and-oak bomb wine once in awhile. But when I want that, I'll get myself a Marquis-Philips! :biggrin:

I think it was most disappointing because I opened this because it was Spanish, and I thought it would be nice with a Spanish-inspired pasta dish. This wine definitely did not taste Spanish!

All the best,

Jean