• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bay Area Visit

mascarpone

My girlfriend and I are planning to visit the San Francisco, Walnut Creek, Antioch area from May 25-May 31. Coming from New York City we are very interested in Authentic Mexican restaurants that are not going to break the bank. Of course if you can suggest any other outstanding and inexpensive-moderate priced ethnic or regional retaurants in the Bay area it would be great. At the moment we are deliberating between driving to Wine Country, Yosemite or up Route 1 :unsure: so any other recommendations of good and inexpensive restaurants, wine tours, or culinary attractions (e.g. Copia in Napa) would be really appreciated.

mascarpone

Edited by mascarpone (log)

I don't think you'll find a lot near Yosemite. It's way off the beaten path, and once you're there, it's a long drive anywhere else -- so the area tends towards chains or expensive places. (I did find a pizza joint that was incredible, but nothing else impressed me). It's also going to eat up a big chunk of your trip -- there and back costs you a day. Not that I want to discourage you; the scenery is fabulous, but if you're looking for food, I wouldn't head there.

Going up (or down) 1 is fun for a few hours. I highly recommend it, but after a while, you get tired of slowing down for stoplights every two miles when you hit the next townlet along the highway. Still, great views, and if you head north, you could go past glass beach and the like near Fort Bragg. Some pretty good eats there. I will try and dig up my postings about the area.

Wine country isn't going to give you cheap eats, but near there will. If you continue north on I-80, there are a lot of stops on the way to Sacramento that have big Mexican communities. Dixon comes to mind; if you search the board for "Mr. Taco" you'll see one of the places. There should be a lot of cheap authentic Mexican in the area, as many of the grape pickers seem to be Mexican.

Or, just head to the Fruitvale area of Oakland -- right off the BART (subway) from Walnut Creek you can get to a big Mexican district, replete with sit-down restaurants and "taco trucks". Otaez, El Huarache Azteca, La Torta Loca, Taqueria San Jose... all are good and within blocks of the Fruitvale BART station.

Trust me on this one....the is NOTHING in Antioch. I lived and worked there for 16 years and know it well.

However, if you are in that area of Eastern Contra Costa and HAVE to eat, the New Mecca in downtown Pittsburg has some decent and inexpensive mexican food.

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

The Oakland Fruitvale area rocks. I would add El Ojo de Agua and La Gran Chiquita to merle's list. Mission's not bad either. San Jose has some great Mexican eats, too. None of these will break the bank. South of SF on the coast, Santa Cruz, Monterey and the Monterey Bay have lots to offer in the beauty department and towns such as Watsonville are almost entirely Mexican. I'm not a fan of Mr. Taco, but there is a whole area of Sacramento that has excellent options that are near the interstate. (Also, Dona Tomas in Oakland isn't too expensive and has good upscale Mexican.)

I commented on a few threads down below, but you can also just go to my blog and check out the full report:

http://www.extramsg.com/modules.php?name=N...order=0&thold=0

And you can see the pics here:

http://www.extramsg.com/modules.php?set_al...=view_album.php

Edited by ExtraMSG (log)

I agree with Bombdog. The best thing in Antioch is a branch of that drive by espresso chain. Get your espresso and get the hell out.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

I don't know much about Walnut Creek or Antioch, but for reasonably-priced and delicious Authentic Mexican in San Francisco, check out Los Jarritos ("the little jars") on South Van Ness at 20th.

Delicious moles and enchiladas, and they make their tortillas by hand. They even do birria on the weekends. Wonderful, charming people as well: they go out of their way to make you feel at home.

Los Jarritos

901 South Van Ness Avenue

San Francisco, CA 94110

415-648-8383

Cheers,

Squeat

theres a little place in Mill Valley that has great fish tacos, just fabulous not sure about anything else they have becaseu I always get the fish tacos in fact make it a point to do so every time I am there, don't know the name but it is in Mill Valley proper a few blocks from Whole Foods (Fresh Fields ?)

Don't miss the Marin County farmers market, not only is the food incredible but it is in the parking lot of the Marin County Civic Center which is a Frank Lloyd Wright Building, there is an almond vendor that has the best flavored almonds & dried fruits ever and a citrus grower who sells budahs hand, sweet limes and meyer lemons, also this man who has incredible chutneys & sauces...its just wonderful there

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

The best taco truck in Fruitvale is Tacos Sinaloa at 22nd and International. The very best carnitas, crunchy and soft and uber-succulent, dripping with luscious pork fat. Don't forget to bite the end off of your pickled jalapeno and drizzle the juice over your tacos. I have spoken.

It's funny how the taco trucks in Oakland are miles better than the SF ones. They even smell different. You can smell the corny goodness of the tortillas as you stand outside. Divine, I tell you.

Speaking of Walnut Creek, my fave dim sum, Tin's Tea House, has opened a branch there. Reports are that it's smashing good. IrishCream and Grant and I have dined at the Oaktown branch, and I feel like I am not overextending myself by speaking for them in that we all thought it was excellent. My favorite of theirs is the shrimp fried in bean curd skin, served Hong-Kong style with a little dish of Worcestershire sauce. I would risk contracting the Ebola virus for a plate of those.

Not that you would catch the Ebola virus at Tin's or anything; it's just a figure of speech.

I'm leaving now.

Thanks to all -- esvee, Malik, Aliwaks, Sqeat Mungry, jschyun for the great reccs and to mongo_jones for helping me to lose my appetite :laugh: I know about Antioch, as I have friends there and generally pick them up and go elsewhere for restaurants.

We are considering rethinking the the Route 1 and Yosemite visit and making this a food tour :biggrin:

mascarpone

Has anybody been to Tiburon (Marin County)?

Tiburon is a little cutesy community on the Bay, north of Sausalito. It's a ferry ride from the city, with ok restaurants featuring great views. Guaymas ("Mexican" food), next to the ferry dock, was disappointing during my last couple of visits.

The deck at Sam's is great for burgers and beer (although they don't have any shade, in case it happens to be sunny and hot).

There are little shops, galleries, bookstores, etc. for a couple of hours of browing before or after lunch.

Susan

How is the neighborhood of Fruitvale? Should I be concerned about safety? Is it a place to avoid going to after dark? Has anybody been to Tiburon (Marin County)?

mascarpone

Tiburon is the poor sister of Belvedere :laugh:

I'd bypass S.F. entirely if I were only looking for authentic Mexican (well, except for some of the Yucatecan places that are opening up) - I think your best bets around the immediate Bay Area are along International Blvd in the Fruitvale District in Oakland, including El Huarache Azteca* [for huaraches & weekend-only lamb!] or La Torta Loca [for sopes & champurrado, among other things].

(About safety in the Fruitvale: evidence of conspicuous consumption may get less-conspicuously consumed by others - flash the bling-bling if you can afford to lose it or fight for it; that being said, other than some teen street racers, I'm never bothered by anything in this lively AND family-oriented neighborhood.)

For a tour from Antioch, I'd head north, along the delta (on Hwy 160) to Rio Vista, turn left on Hwy 12 to link up with Hwy 113 then head north to Woodland - and the Cuatro Milpas Taqueria [534 Main St] for some real Mexico City-type quesadillas & panbazos. The drive itself would be a nice way to see a part of California that gets missed even by locals. From there you'd be on your way to Sacramento, Gold Country, or just returning to the Fruitvale for a block-by-block discovery of the nabe's eats....

Buen provecho,

Richard

Berkeley/SF, CA

*http://www.futbollocal.com/el_huarache_restaurant_menu.html

I lived in Clayton last year, up the street from Walnut Creek, and I can verify that there is no decent Mexican food. You may as well eat at El Torito...better food for the same price. If you are absolutely desperate for Mexican there is a passable greasy cheese place called Guadalahara in the strip mall at the corner of Ygnacio Valley and Clayton Rd.

I do recommend a Thai/Indian place called Hot Basil. It's fabulous and if you are careful you can eat for less than $10. Hot Basil

Lobster.

Mascarpone, from the looks of this and a previous thread, Mexican Food - Why So Average in NoCal?, you might not want to get your hopes up.

Having lived near the San Diego/TJ border early in my life, I have long since gotten used to the fact that decent Mexican food just doesn't exist anywhere away from The Border.

Good luck!

Fruitvale is getting spiffed up a lot, and I (female early 30's) feel fine walking there by myself during the daytime. It is quite family-oriented. If you're in Fruitvale, an excellent way to start your day would be breakfast at Otaez Restaurant (3872 International Ave @ 39th Ave). Very clean, popular with families, excellent and authentic (filling!) Mexican breakfasts. Also are popular with their seafood.

A great way to spend the day in SF is to start at the 16th street BART station and walk your way down Mission all the way across Cesar Chavez to 30th. Or walk up one block north to Valencia where everyting is a lot trendier and more Anglo. Whether you go Mission or Valencia or weave down both, it's a great walk with tons of excellent stores, bars, and restaurants to keep you entertained. This area is usually always sunny, too. Mission can be dicey at night, btw.

A few recommendations along the way:

DRINKING:

Puerto Allegre- 546 Valencia Street @ 16th.

This is a perfectly fine restaurant, but they're known for their pitchers of (strong and excellent) margaritas and laid back atmosphere.

Dalva- 3121 16th Street.

Great single malt scotches, fantastic juke box (huge variety from 40's to today). Friendly.

Argus Lounge- 3187 Mission @Valencia

Another superb jukebox place, very friendly staff. Pool table. Very cool place.

Odeon-3223 Mission @ 29th

Just up the street from Argus, very funky and arty. If you like Argus, you should stop in here.

EATING:

Pakwan- 3182 16th street

Cheap, super authentic Indian food.

El Farolito- 2779 Mission

Never eaten here, but always a top contender for best burrito.

La Taqueria- 2889 Mission @ 25th street.

Super popular, and it's easy to see why. Best tacos in town.

Blue Plate- 3218 Mission ($$)

Very Cal, very unpretentious, very "SF" place. If you have to wait for a table, do it in their backyard garden sipping a glass of wine (sighhh).

Suriya Thai- 1432 Valencia @ 25th

Arguably best thai in the city. Pumpkin curry to die for.

I know I'm leaving stuff out, but I do think a day spend wandering Valencia and Mission streets would be a great way to experience SF.

Have a good time!

Thanks again for all the great reccs. A friend suggested taking a ferry from SF to Sausalito for lunch or dinner. What is the scoop on Sausalito retaurants? Pricey ?

Historically, Sausalito Restaurants have been pricey, and seldom worth talking aobut. Lately, however, there's been a lot of buzz about a new place called, simply, "Fish." (the period is part of the name) that might be worth checking out. Not too pricey, and has had good early reviews. The chef is a refugee from Masa's.

Here's the somewhat schlocky website:

Fish. the Website

• 3 weeks later...

I had excellent Tandoori Lamb Chops at Pakwan 3180-82 16th Street in San Francisco--eally memorable...spicy and large and a real bargain at $7.99! My girlfriend had a decent Chicken Korma that was $5.99. The somewhat gruff service and the decor (flies) added a interesting demension to the meal. As this was an inexpensive place and the food was good I will go back if I am in that part of town again.

Somewhat off the subject of this thread (Cheap Eats) was our juant up to Napa Valley where we had a stellar meal at Martini House in St Helena. The Rainbow Trout was very well prepared and my girlfriend's Duck Confit was equally spendid. The Lemon Custard/Tart that I had for dessert was worth breaking the diet for. Great dessert chef. This place was in order--food, service, a great outdoor space...wonderful.

I was less impressed with Don Giovanni in Yountville, where we headed for dinner ( I know, I know ...this was the place to go for lunch, not dinner...but it was a friends idea and we went along with it). The Porchetta was solid, the Liguini with Clam Sauce was a bit to oily for my girlfriend. The special dessert Fruit Trifle was pleasant. The service was sincere and prompt. The waiter was excellent, yet I had the same feeling, regarding atmosphere at Don Giovanni as I do when I am at some Italian restuarants on the Upper West Side, namely "cattle call". It was so busy that the waiter should have gotten a purple heart for his struggle to get the food to our table.

We also went tasting at a small winery St. Clement. The tasting was free as my girlfriend had spotted a free tasting coupon in the Wine Country brouchers that I picked up at the information stall at San Francisco International Airport. Of the five or so wines that were offered (Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Rose, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, and a Bordeaux-like wine that I can't recall) my favorite was the Chardonnay and the Merlot. I must have enjoyed them a bit to much as I my recollection of the tasting is hazy at best. We also visited the Mondavi Winery. As it was Memorial Day weekend, there were throngs of people there. I liked the mom and pop feel of St. Clemente better. All the wines were pleasant. It seemed to me that bottles were very expensive so I abstained as I can get cheaper and equally good wine at stores in Manhattan. Nonetheless, the wineries were great to visit.

La Taqueria on 25th and Mission is a very interesting place. What was particualrly facinating was the incredible speed in which the tacos are prepared. There is a guy at the stove heating tortillas with cheese and a woman at the cash register who also does the soda fountain. And there is the burrito, etc. guy. But there is one young guy who assembles all the tacos and, Jesus, can he move. The volume that this guy handles equals that of four station cooks (thanks to him the long line was moving steadily) yet he wasn't sloppy in the least. During the whole show there was this great Mexican music blaring and the "Speedy Gonzalez" Taco guy was singing along at the top of his lungs. I had four Beef Tacos and my girlfriend had a Chorizo Burrito. Both were delicious and quite hot when we ate them do to the speedy assembly. The clientele was evenly mixed (Gringos/Mexicanos). The show made the trip to La Taqueria in itself.

Even better was a taco truck named Tacos Sinaloa on International Aveue in the Fruitvale district of Oakland. On recommendation I had three Carnitas Tacos with Pickeled Jalepeno Juice. Then I had three more. Then.... To make a long story shorter everything about this taco was sublime...I particualry like the tortillas. This taco was more authenitc than those served at La Taqueria. And even on Memorial Day, when all the other retaurants and trucks were closed; this stand was buzzing. I mean this was El Cento del Barrio!!! Every muchacho and his novia was there which made parking somewhat problematic. Hay Caramba!!!

I returned to Fruitvale the next day and had lunch at La Huache Azteca. I had their signature dish Hurache Azteca, a paper thin slice of beef atop green lettuce, thinly sliced spicey green pepper, in a spicy green sauce on top of a freshly baked hurache (slightly more thin than a pita but wider than an tortilla)--very nice. I was the only gringo in the place. I will be back. Also of particular interest were the numerous Panderias that I visited. The pandolce made me feel like I was in Cozumel or El Centro de la Ciudad de Mexico at the Hotel Presidente.

Great place, Fruitvale.

Very pleasant Oysters at Hog Island Oysters located in the Ferry Building near Pier 1. And a sinfully decadent Hot Fudge Sudae at Ghiradelli Cafe. Lovely.

I was taken to a chinese restaurant called China House on 2507 South El Camino in San Mateo. Very nice Scallops with Bean Curd and Black Bean Sauce. The House Salted Chicken, like drunken chicken without the wine, was pleasant, and particularly good were the Salted Cabbage with Stewed Pork and the Pepper w/Salt Spare Ribs. This cuisine was from a specific region of China that I was not familiar with and can't remember at the moment. Very interesting dishes. Everyone there was Chinese.

On my way to the airport I picked up a Super Burrito at El Farolito on 24th and Mission. The place is really run down and dirty (they should be concerned about inspectors). The Burrito tasted good and looked great however I would recommend take out only.

One regret was I did not get to go to Suriya on 24th and Valencia. There is always next time...

Edited by mascarpone (log)