• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blood, or meat juice?

Dover - happy to oblige! Ain't a bit o' info' grand?

Couple of things...

First, when's the party, because it sounds great and I think I am going to crash your little soiree. :wink:

Second, are you, or are you from "Dover Canyon" the wine producers? in CA?

Yes, I am from Dover Canyon Winery, and the party is today! "Dover Dan" and I will be grilling lamb ribs and duck breasts for oh, several hundred people. :blink:

Not to worry, we've done it before and it usually goes pretty well, except for the time I set fire to the barbecue itself, a feat Dan didn't think possible. And, hathor has just tagged me for the next food blog, starting today!

Come on over!

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

what exactly is myoglobin

Myoglobin is the protein found in muscle cells that acts to carry & provide oxygen to muscle cells when a lot of oxygen is needed. Cells need oxygen to produce energy for movement & stuff. The reason why beef & lamb are more red than, say pork or chicken, is because their muscles contain more myoglobin since they eat grass. Grass contains iron which is an essential building block for myoglobin & hemoglobin (myoglobin is actually quite similary to hemoglobin, found in blood). The iron within the myoglobin (and hemoglobin) is what gives rise to the red colouration.

Although not entirely relevant, certain creatures (such as insects) use other metal ions such as copper in place of iron in their 'hemoglobin'...which is why when you squash cockroaches, their bodily fluids look green and not red like ours!

Edited by Gul_Dekar (log)