• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: hathor - Big Apple Blog

Besides, the "Damn, another New Yorker" crack was mine, and quite obviously a joke. :raz::laugh:

A joke? I'm always the last to find out. :hmmm:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Besides, the "Damn, another New Yorker" crack was mine, and quite obviously a joke.  :raz:  :laugh:

A joke? I'm always the last to find out. :hmmm:

:raz::raz::raz::raz::raz:

And that's all I have to say.

Michael aka "Pan"

Yes, but when did you buy it? I don't have to worry about building codes here - but it's my understanding they're not making them with pilot lights any more because other people do (have to worry about building codes, I mean). If memory serves, they year I bought my stove (1993) was either the last or the penultimate in which pilot lights were available.

I believe 1999, from a restaurant supply in Sacramento. It was one year old at the time, from a failed venture.

I believe you are correct as far as residential models are concerned; no pilot lights.

Duh! I guess I wasn't paying attention - hadn't noticed you said yours was commercial. Well, that wouldn't really be an option for me either. Was sorely tempted, some years back, to buy an old Viking, cheep-cheep, at a garage sale - it needed a lot of cleaning up, but at the price it would have been well worth it. The deciding factor was the realization that it wouldn't have fit through my doorway. About 20 years ago my mother was seriously considering whatever was then state-of-the-art from West Bend or one of that ilk, onlly to give up the idea because the house at the beach (the house which will eventually become my permanent home) isn't built solidly enough to support the weight! So she bought two 30-inch gas stoves (WITH pilot lights, of course) and placed them side by side. No fancy-schmancy bells and whistles, but there's something to be said for having eight burners and two ovens.... I can certainly live with it.

You could always say about this being a cult that at least taking pictures is a lot easier than having to shave your hair :laugh:

Or drink Jonestown Kool-Aid! icon8.gif

don't even joke about that, i was 8 when it happened and guyana is near trinidad to date i haven't drunk anything that's purple.

Don't loaf and invite inspiration. Light out after it with a club.

- Jack London

Neither have I, now that you mention it.

But I was only sort of half-joking, actually. Of course one shouldn't bring up such things lightly; but when you consider how many cults there are that require their members to do really dangerous or harmful or actually lethal things, it always amazes me that anyone can suggest there's anything wrong with taking pictures of one's dinner.

PICTURES OF THE LIMONCELLO PLEASE!

As requested, here is the lemoncello in stage 1: freshly skinned lemons in vodka, and stage 2 after the peels are removed and the sugar has been added.

i6988.jpg

i6985.jpg

Edited by hathor (log)

alligators, debauchery, and seafood

What's up with the turkey. Will you return with it?

What more could anyone desire...alligators, debauchery, seafood??? I'll be there!

I promise when the turkey makes its reappearance, I will document it!

Sorry to blame you for the NY'er crack...I just don't know why I ass -u-me d it was you!! :laugh: