• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: hathor - Big Apple Blog

I've never tried getting delivery from any of the Little Korea places, but a check on http://newyork.citysearch.com/ shows that Han Bat delivers:

53 W 35TH St

New York, NY 10001-2225

Phone: (212) 629-5588

Here's a link to their page on www.menupages.com, where you can have a look at their menu:

Han Bat

Thanks! We will try to take a look at this later in the week.

I haven't been able to shake the pond scum imagery. When we were kids my mother made us drink a shot of orange juice with cranberry pulp and aloe vera in it every morning. It was thick and slimy and sour, but we were pretty healthy kids. I think the cult of pond scum has been growing in numbers since at least the 1970s.

I am looking forward to your pictures. I'll ask Keifel about resizing in iPhoto, he is a Mac demigod. Maybe he can PM you instructions this afternoon.

Victoria Raschke, aka ms. victoria

Eat Your Heart Out: food memories, recipes, rants and reviews

Good morning! I'll gladly take any help offered on the iPhoto thing...help, Keifel!! All I've been able to come up with is a way to resize if you want to e-mail.

I just finished reading Galileo's Daughter, reluctantly finished it as there was a lot of food for thought there. Just how did the Catholic Church gain such power and control over people?

Then before going to sleep, I started Fergus Henderson's The Whole Beast, so I had strange dreams about bone marrow, parsley and crispy pigs ears. This morning there is an article in the NY Times about a market in the Bronx that caters to Caribbean and African customers, and would clearly be a source for many of the bits and pieces that Mr. Henderson is recommending. I love the way the recipes end with: NOW EAT.

Had some Pond Scum and juice at home with the cats, then we ran downstairs for a quick muffin and scooped out bagel, and some decent latte! Thanks god.

Now we are off to Philadelphia to bring home our son, but before we tackle the nasty job of getting him packed up, we have a lunch reservation at Rouge which I am certainly looking forward to.

good day to everyone!

Montone looks beautiful! Perhaps I'll have a chance to see it. My SO and I are planning a trip to Italy for a couple weeks in late August or early September and haven't yet decided on our route, although it will likely include Montalcino as my family has friends there.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Had some Pond Scum and juice at home with the cats, then we ran downstairs for a quick muffin and scooped out bagel, and some decent latte!

hathor, what in the world is a scooped out bagel? Should I make sure I have one when I'm in NYC later in the year?

Thanks for blogging! You sound like a great foodie.

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer

hathor, what in the world is a scooped out bagel? Should I make sure I have one when I'm in NYC later in the year?

I'm not certain, but I'll take a wild guess that she does the same thing I do: digs out all or most of the squishy interior of the bagel, leaving the outer crust nice and intact. It's an easy way to downsize a bagel.

It's nice to hear what you are reading. In many ways, reading is like eating. We gain nourishment from it. Everyone's talking about The Whole Beast so I'm going to order it too, but I'll have to wait until this summer to pick it up. :biggrin:

Meanwhile cooking up any demonstrations from the book would be helpful. :laugh:

Edited by bleudauvergne (log)

I ragazzi ritornate!! Meaning...the kids are home. Our son has a very lovely, significant other, who shall be known as "J", and when C (our son) is home, J is around somewhere! Actually, J has kept us company while our son has been away. The flock is returning to the nesting ground! Our son has very close friendships, as he went to a small school and he basically had the same kids from kindergarten on up. We love these kids like extended family, and its nice to know the loft will once again be filled with i ragazzi.

Ok...here is the scooped out bagel. Yes, you scoop out all the insides and then toast it so you are basically left with just crunch. Its heresy among true bagelers, but what can I say. I would have been burned as a heretic a long time ago. i6762.jpg

Yesterday was quite l o n g and h o t and n a s t y. Except for lunch at Rouge which was delightful. Rouge is on Rittenhouse Sq, which is sort of a larger version of Washingtong Sq. Park, lots of trees and chess players. We sat outside on the sidewalk and shared some very delicious malpec oysters. Tiny little guys that tasted like fresh ocean. C claimed that they reminded him of eating oysters at Eden Rock on St. Barth, the fresh scent of the sea and the briny liquour. Coming from C, who is an oyster lover, and shucker par excellent, that is a high compliment. My husband had the crispy sweetbread salad, mmmm, I do love sweatbreads, I had the very clean and bright tasting tuna tartare, and C had the goat cheese salad. I apparently have a defective cheese gene, because I detest goat cheese. i6764.jpg Here is Rouge at lunchtime yesterday.

Then came the long shlog. 4 boys + 1 dorm room + 1 whole school year = some really nasty stuff!!! By the time we packed him up, cleaned up, and hog tied the bike to the roof of the car, it was 6:00. By the time we got up to Westchester to drop off the big stuff, it was 9:30. By the time we got to the Bronx to pick up J, it was 10:30....by the time we got to Lucky Strike to have something to eat, we were damn near dead. Lucky Strike is a neighborhood bistro, reliable, relatively quick and you can show up grungy. Our stand-by, don't think about meal is steak au poivre, which is just fine, good frites. But, by then we were almost too beat to chew! images.egullet.com/u14010/i6763.jpg

But, today is another day! Well rested, some yogurt, fruit and granola for breakfast and I'm ready for the day.

Jake: stay in touch! We might be in Montone in late August, you're welcome to stop by!

Hathor, how close is your job to 32 St. and Broadway? Failing that, 35 St. and Broadway?

very, very close. 40th and 7th...why do you ask?? :raz:

That's a dangerous neighborhood to work in with all the sample sales. :laugh:

Sample sales...absolutely!! I'm a regular! :biggrin:

OH!! I forgot to mention, last night at dinner, I take out my camera to snap the steak au poivre, and J wants to know what I'm doing. I explain about eGullet being a website for the food obssessed, and as I'm starting to explain about the blog, she busts out laughing, and says, "Wait. You belong to a 'club' and you take pictures of your food to show each other?? That's sick! But...in an adorable way!" :laugh: So...ok, maybe we are a little involved with our food....

I take pictures of my food just to have them. I mean, I share too, but I like to have a picture of it so I can look back and say "yeah, that was the first batch of vada I ever made. Awwww..." Its not sick to take pictures of your kids... and you created them, so why is is to strange that folks like to take pictures of other creations. Ok. So maybe its a little...... obsessive. SO WHAT!!

Tee hee. Keep on clicking! Lovely blog you have here :biggrin:

congrats on the pictures, you missed a link though, the steak picture.

i'm enjoying being on the reading end of of the food blog thoroughly, i'm still fascinated by this turkey and curious as to how you're going to marinate it.

Don't loaf and invite inspiration. Light out after it with a club.

- Jack London

I hear ya. My family thinks I'm a little off kilter when it comes to the food. Not long ago, in fact in the last week, I had my sils over for dinner and everyone was at the table and I said "Wait! Stop! Let me take a picture!" - I start taking a picture and then I realize that everyone is staring at me with this wierd look on their face - I was honing in on the food, of course. It was strange and difficult to explain. :unsure:

I just informed Blovie that I want a digital camera for my birthday. He's refusing on the grounds that I'm too obsessed with my food as it is, and he doesn't want me photographing everything I eat.

He's refusing the enable me.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I just informed Blovie that I want a digital camera for my birthday. He's refusing on the grounds that I'm too obsessed with my food as it is, and he doesn't want me photographing everything I eat.

Its all about self enabling! Go buy yourself that b'day present!! Don't even wait for your b'day. Life can be short....so seize the moment! I have to admit though, it is a bit strange when you pull up your 'photo library', and its all food shots.... :laugh:

congrats on the pictures, you missed a link though, the steak picture.

i'm enjoying being on the reading end of of the food blog thoroughly, i'm still fascinated by this turkey and curious as to how you're going to marinate it.

Keifel: any words of advice on resizing on a mac, or did I miss something? I'll go back in and fix the steak link. Thanks!!

Oh, there are ways around that. Tell him you want to be able to send photos of him to his mother, for instance. :smile:

I just informed Blovie that I want a digital camera for my birthday.  He's refusing on the grounds that I'm too obsessed with my food as it is, and he doesn't want me photographing everything I eat.

Oh, there are ways around that. Tell him you want to be able to send photos of him to his mother, for instance. :smile:

or take..... well never mind ........

Me bad

Cheers

Tom

I want food and I want it now

Yesterday was quite l o n g and h o t and n a s t y. Except for lunch at Rouge which was delightful. Rouge is on Rittenhouse Sq, which is sort of a larger version of Washingtong Sq. Park, lots of trees and chess players.

Blimey, should have mentioned it earlier.

You should have asked for Katie Loeb while you were at Rouge.

She works in the back. And is also PA forum host.

I doubt Rittenhouse Square is larger than Washington Square,

although the possibility is there.

It is definitely more popular, although whether that remains true over the next twenty years remains to be seen.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Hathor:

So sorry I missed you! And thank you for the lovely post re:your lunch at Rouge! Great picture too, thanks! I actually was toiling away in my office until about mid-afternoon yesterday and then went home and finished the payroll reports propped up in bed and heavily medicated. I do wish you'd asked for me to say hello - I'd certainly have come out of hiding to welcome you. I actually came out and scanned the dining room at one point to see if a party matching what I imagined yours would look like was there but alas, I didn't really know who I was looking for and decided to spare myself the embarrassment of walking up to every table and asking "Excuse me, are you Hathor?" :huh:

Look forward to meeting you on your next trip to Philly!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Oh just go buy the camera for cryin' out loud!! :biggrin: My little Olympus went on the fritz and I used my blog as an excuse to buy a new one. Granted.... I did not have the SAF to deal with (Spousal Acceptance Factor) but I did promptly pull it out to photograph the dinner when I was out on a first date. I explained the whole notion in advance and even sent her a link to the blog but it was evident that she found it a bit odd. Fortunately, I suppose, we assessed the whole thing afterwords and mutually agreed that there was some spark missing (might it have been her indifference to food and my fascination with it?).

I'm among those anxiously looking forward to reading about the prep methods for the turkey. One of my hunting collegues insisted that wild turkey (the animal of course, not the beverage) is nearly inedible. I was skeptical and look forward to learning more.

Hathor:

So sorry I missed you! And thank you for the lovely post re:your lunch at Rouge! Great picture too, thanks! I actually was toiling away in my office until about mid-afternoon yesterday and then went home and finished the payroll reports propped up in bed and heavily medicated. I do wish you'd asked for me to say hello - I'd certainly have come out of hiding to welcome you. I actually came out and scanned the dining room at one point to see if a party matching what I imagined yours would look like was there but alas, I didn't really know who I was looking for and decided to spare myself the embarrassment of walking up to every table and asking "Excuse me, are you Hathor?" :huh:

Look forward to meeting you on your next trip to Philly!

Too bad! A missed opportunity, seems our waiter thought you weren't around until later. Oh well.. next time!