• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Get together at Village Green

adegiulio

I like 7:30 also...

Right now, we are looking like this:

Anthony & Amy-2

Tommy 2

Curlz 1, maybe more

Fatcat 2

Thursday May 27th...5 courses

I'll call Linda tonight to talk about the menu...If anyone has any food allergies or other food issues, or if there is something you would like to see on the menu, let me know...

A

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

If anyone has any food allergies

i have a terrible allergy to not having foie gras.

no, but really, if you could "build" a menu with linda, that would be great. perhaps you could post it for feedback.

it would also be nice to know ahead of time so that wines/whatever can be paired appropriately.

thanks for putting this together.

I have a similar allergy Tommy. Fortunately the doctor at Village Green fixed me up with their version of Benadryl....Foie on Brioche... :biggrin::biggrin:

I'm setting this up for selfish reasons...it starts with Pro and ends with ecco... :cool:

Will you be planning a set menu, or will you have choices for each course as they do on their standard menu?

i just kind of assumed we'd have a semi-special one planned, if the restaurant would work with us. i think that's my preference, but we'll certainly go with the majority, or just go with a regular menu if anyone feels strongly about it.

that said, a semi-special menu might very well run a few dollars more, depending on the choices. that might be a factor to consider.

ant-nee, what are your thoughts on this business?

I just spoke to Linda. We thought that the best thing to do would to just have them "cook" for us. She and her chef will come up with some ideas over the next few days and get back to me with some plans. I think this is a great way to go, and I am sure they will hook us up with some terrific, seasonal items. We'll have plenty of time to plan the wine and discuss any other issues...

As a an added bonus/incentive, I've signed up a professional guitar player friend of mine to serenade us for the evening...He is an absolutely fantastic musician and a really good guy. It will be a great night...

I told Linda to keep the dinner in the same range as a normal 5 course meal, so figure around 50 dollars, plus tax and tip. The entertainment is my treat...

Anthony

PS---go to this link for more info about the music.

i'm on board ant-nee.

as far as the tunes go, i suppose it's a bonus not only for us, but for the rest of the 10 table restaurant as well! cool.

his website says he plays weekly, or did at some point, at cafe panache. so he's no stranger to restaurants.

Lemme tell you...good food, wine, music and fun people are one of my favorite combos in life! This sounds great, Anthony! Thanks for the great addition.

As for the menu, I'm always happy to trust a great chef and fellow foodies who know a restaurant's abilities. Just let us know if there are decisions to be made and help us know what wine we'll need! :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I can't say one way or another whether Sue and I will be there, If you need to fill our spots please do so and we'll catch up some other time.

By the way, where the hell is Ridgewood?

No problem Lou...If you decide either way, just let me know. From Randolph, Ridgewood is a bit of a hike, but worth the trip. Take 10 to 287 north about 15 minutes to 208 south. From there its maybe 10 minutes...I'm not sure of the exact roads from 208...

Directions to Village Green Restaurant

36 Prospect St. Ridgewood, NJ 07450 Tel: 201-445-2914

From Garden State Parkway: Exit at #165 Ridgewood Avenue, going towards Ridgewood. Follow Ridgewood Avenue over Route 17 and through a residential area, passing Ridgewood High School on the right. Go through the intersection at Maple Avenue and into the commercial district. Pass the Post Office on the right and park on the left. Turn left just pass the park on Van Neste Square. At the end of the block turn right. The Village Green is on the right.

From New York City: Cross the George Washington Bridge and take Route 4 West. Pass the Route 17 interchange. Exit at Saddle River Road. Pass Herold's Farm on the right. At the fork in the road, stay to the right and follow Prospect Street. Go through two lights and Village Green is at the next major intersection on the left.

From Highway 287:Take 287 to Route 208 South. Exit at Maple Avenue to Ridgewood. Follow Maple Avenue to Prospect Street. Turn left on Prospect Street. Follow to the next major intersection and Village Green is on the left.

Lou, coming from Morris Cty, it might actually be faster to take 80 to the GSP and then you only have a short way to go before you get off the Parkway...just my two cents, but that drive up 287 and across 208 always seems long to me.

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

I have heard and enjoyed Mark Sganga's music a few times; at Cafe Panache once, and I think also at Grandma's Cheesecake Company in Ridgewood which I don't think exists anymore.

Having live music for our dinner will be a treat. I believe he is a friend of one of my good friends who is also a musician. So, maybe you know my friend as well. Small world.

Looking forward to this event.

Count me in for 3 people. A fellow foodie friend will be joining my husband and I.

By the way, I dined at The Village Green with 13 friends last Saturday night. I tried/shared just about everything that was offered on the menu. Everything was wonderful! Officially met the owner and chef, who were extremely nice and accommodating to our group.

Super!, the updated list looks like

Right now, we are looking like this:

Anthony & Amy-2

Tommy 2

Curlz 1, maybe more

Fatcat 3

Still room for more...Curlz, any idea if you will be bringing people?

A

I'm starting to doubt it, but will push for an answer...if so, I think it will only be one more.

Joanne, that is terrific, we would love to have you....Will it just be you or will you be bringing others...Bring more!! It's going to be fun...

Curlz, no pressure, if you need till next Wednesday to decide, thats fine with me... :smile:

I'll post some details tomorrow about what kind of food to expect for wine matching...The food sounds terrific. Met the chef tonight...Art seems like a great guy...

Till tomorrow...

Anthony

Ok all, Linda has given me a sneak preview of the dinner, but has withheld some of the details to add to the excitement...right now we can expect...(cut and paste from email)

Chilled Gazpacho with Lobster

Soft Shell Crab

Foie Gras

Seared Duck Breast

Lamb

Dessert Sampling

We will bring some Pinot Noir and probably a merlot. And a chardonnay. And a bottle or two of white dessert wine...Some Quarts de Chaume for the foie would be nice too....

Anthony

i'm all over the prosecco, which i'm sure will go with the amuse and the gazpacho. and the soft shell crab for that matter. any idea on if it'll be a buttery dish rather than a fried dish? i was also going to bring that sherry for dessert, but if you've got that covered, i'll have to think of something else. although i'll probably bring it anyway.

i'll give the foie pairing some thought. i forget what the sommelier at Veritas paired with my foie gras, but it was really good.

Edited by tommy (log)

Not sure about the preparation on the crab. When in doubt, bring both :biggrin::biggrin:

Just an attendance update...

Anthony & Amy-2

Tommy 2

Curlz 1

Fatcat 3

Joanne 1

Anthony

Okay, I've got some Hedge's Columbia Valley CMS for the duck course!!

DUCK! :laugh: