• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Get together at Village Green

adegiulio

Amy and I have been back to Village Green several times since they re-opened, and each time was fantastic. This is simply one of the best restaurants in the area, and it is seemingly getting better. Last time we were there we discussed the idea of an e-gullet dinner with Linda, the owner. She was very receptive to the idea. So, today I'd like to put the plan in action. I would like to see something in May, preferably on a Wednesday night were we can receive the attention we might not get on a Friday or Saturday. Just to get the conversation started, I'll propose Wednesday the 19th, with the 26th as an alternate. As for food, we can go for 4, 5, or 7 courses. BYOB.

So, what do you think??

Anthony

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

i think it's a grand idea. i'll have to check on the 19th tomorrow, though, at which time i'll post regarding my availability.

7 courses can be a lot. and a long dinner as well. for us, on a wednesday, i'd vote for 5. but we'll go with the majority.

Rosie, was it something I said?? :biggrin:

Is there a better day or date for you?

Rosie, was it something I said?? :biggrin:

Is there a better day or date for you?

Not at all. Not a good time. Feel bad as I do try to make all of the eGullet dinners.

And why would I want to miss your gracious company, good wine and lovely wife?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Definitely interested, but not sure about the date until I get back in my office, which won't happen until Wednesday.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Are the egullet events/dinners open to any forum member?

I agree that The Village Green is fantastic. I am having my husband's 40th party there next Saturday, and the owner, Linda, has been wonderful. Every time I go to the Village Green, I wonder why other restaurants in the area haven't adopted a similar menu offering. It is so nice to be in a restaurant that believes in quality over quantity.

Are the egullet events/dinners open to any forum member?

Absolutely,

All you need is to be available, let whoever is organizing the event know and pay your share! Welcome to eGullet!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

OK, so its looking like Thursday the 27th is good with everyone who has responded...lets build on that...

Any others?

Interest seems underwhelming. Is it too soon? would we get more interest if we pushed it back into June? Right now its just me and Tommy, sitting around getting drunk, listening to moderators telling us we just dont get it (Rosie, I'm not talking about you). Let's hear some more thoughts on the subject, I really want to see at least ten people at this dinner. It is a fantastic restaurant, and it should be a fun evening, complete with a surprise...(oooooooh)

Anthony

Right now its just me and Tommy, sitting around getting drunk, listening to moderators telling us we just dont get it (Rosie, I'm not talking about you).

we laugh, only because we love.

lou expressed some interest in a thursday. maybe he'll pipe in again. and fatcatbrew did as well. curlz?

that would be a group of 6 or 8 or so, which seems appropriate. short of a dinner here, we can just go over to MacMurphy's and have a coupla pints.

Count me IN for the 27th! :smile:

Do we have any idea of cost yet? Knowing that might help me recruit a few more people...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Well this is a little better. The 27th is a great date for me. As for cost, I think the 4 course was 42, the 5 course was 48 and I forget what the 7 course menu was. I like the idea of a 7 course tasting, but think we should discuss that...I'd certainly go for 5 also...

So the way I see it..

Anthony & Amy-2

Tommy 1 or 2?

Curlz 1?

Fatcat, possible for 2

Lou?

Edited by adegiulio (log)

Count me IN for the 27th! :smile:

Do we have any idea of cost yet? Knowing that might help me recruit a few more people...

the prices, if they haven't changed, are $45 for the 5 course, and $65 for the 7 course.

as i suggested, i'd prefer the 5 course, but i'll go with the majority.

and since it's BYO, it's pretty easy to figure out the cost for a group.

Personally, I'd rather do 5 courses on a 'school' night too, but let's get a vote.

Curlz

I would be interested in doing the 5-course or 4-course on a "work" night. The cost for the 5-course is $48.00 pp and the 4-course is $40.00 pp. I don't remember exactly what the 7-course is, but I am going there this Saturday and can find out.

OK, Thursday May 27, 5 courses. Curlz, any feel for how many people you might be coming with? Lou, is this date good for you? Tommy, is Mrs. Tommy coming? FatCat, are you a definate??

I love when a plan comes together...

Definitely 1 right now, and I'm going to see if I can get another...the other person I tried isn't available on the 27th. I'll keep you posted on the count if you'll keep me posted on either the menu or what wine you'd like me to bring!