• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is Seattle missing?

Ahhh....elswinger, my child :laugh: ...there USED to be an Ezell's in the U-District, back in the halcyon days of Oprah ordering it every year for her B-day...Wonder if Ezell's would say that it is "Health Food" in the style of KFC? :raz:

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

A good old fashioned Hoff Brau with a chef in a hat cutting your sandwich meat to order. Something like Lefty O'Douls or Tommy's Joynt in SF. Nothing like a custom sandwich and a cold beer for lunch.

A good Jewish deli where we good buy REAL bagels as well as cornbeef on rye sandwiches.

Also....a terrific little Northern Italian restaurant...light on the sauces...clear and delicate flavors.

Oh yeah...and maybe Armandino roaming around between the tables...LOL

Would Cafe Juanita fit your bill for northern Italian?

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

I would love to have more small bites restaurants. Bin 941/2 in Vancouver is exactly what I am looking for.

i couldn't agree more. (oh that hummus!)

it was after a meal at 941 that i knew my boyfriend was "the guy." his eyes were glazed, his hands jerky and he was muttering something about brandade.

love the bin.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

I would love to have more small bites restaurants. Bin 941/2 in Vancouver is exactly what I am looking for. (Warning: web site has sound effects).

I second that. Bin 941 is one of my favorite tapas places in Vancouver.

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

I remember the Ezell's in the U-District. Now there is nowhere on the Ave to satisfy my Fried Chicken and Mashed Potato craving.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

(Moaning) I know...... :sad:

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

"I also wish Ezell's (or someplace even better, would open in the U-District or Ballard."

There was an Ezell's on University Ave about 10 years ago, but they closed for whatever reason. There was another one in White Center, but it also closed, darn it...

I'll tell you what I miss, food-wise, in Seattle: Good deli & kosher delights... Growing up in L.A., there was hot pastrami on good rye at a moment's notice. Here, despite a healthy Jewish population of many L.A. and NY transplants, there's a dearth of tasty eating!

An actual (Spanish) tapas bar. Small would be okay. Food on display in a case, along with ham, chorizo and other charcuteria, fried things (fish), olives etc. Taken standing up or sitting at stools or small tables. Good Spanish wine, and small glasses of beer. Or sherry.