• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Northern NJ Recommendations

Jason Perlow x

For those garden state readers, here's a few really notable places I've eaten at in the last six months that are really exemplary:

1) Silver Pond (Fort Lee). Perhaps the equal or superior to some of the best Dim Sum restaurants in NYC's chinatown.

2) America (Tenafly) CLOSED. In the style of Tom Colocchio's Gramercy Tavern and Craft in NYC, New American cuisine at its finest with a very comprehensive wine list featuring wines from all over the US.

3) Kinara (Edgewater). Not your average Moghlai indian place, Kinara is representative of some of the best Punjabi dishes that you'll find anywhere in the Tristate area. And with a primarily indian crowd you'll know that you'll get it the way its supposed to be prepared.

4) Bennies (Englewood). Just a little hole in the wall, but dont let that fool you. Bennies is a serious lebanese restaurant with mezze and salads to die for (amazing smoky babaghanoush), in addition to perhaps the best felafel in the entire area and a real Turkish coffee service with the old style coffeepots and everything-- and you can even eat there on Fridays and weekends, unlike the other israeli establishments in nearby teaneck. And the place is dirt cheap.

5) Wild Ginger (Englewood). At Nobu level prices, it better be good -- and Wild Ginger is. Serving fish literally right off the boat and prepared in some of the most unusual ways -- Wild Ginger, often with crowds pouring out of the place and 1 hour wait times -- proves that you dont have to go into Mahnattan to enjoy some of the best sushi there is to eat.

6) Wondees (Hackensack) -- if youre looking for hot, HOT! authentic Thai food, this is definitely the place. In this tiny predominantly Thai-patroned restaurant Chef Wondee prepares some of the most serious and intricate dishes you'll ever have this side of of Bangkok. if soups, noodles, curries and yum salads are your game, and chili head is your name, than this is your place.

Anybody else with some great places over the GW bridge? <p>-----

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

That's all well and good, Jason, but in your haste you managed to omit what stands as one of the greatest restaurants in human history:

WHITE MANNA (River St., Hackensack)

This is the definitive hamburger in the "slider" style. Burgers are cooked on a metal griddle the size of an open Wall Street Journal. The grill cook (you must place your order directly with the cook; try to order with anybody else and you will be disciplined) places small (single) or large (double) balls of chopped beef on the griddle, tosses a pile of raw slivered onions on the ball, and flattens it with a spatula so the onions and meat integrate. Later in the process, the bun is placed atop the cooking patty to steam/warm. Gooey orange cheese is added early enough to melt fully. Fries and breakfast items also great.

-----

Jon Marcus

jonathan-marcus@excite.com

For those in Manhattan, there is also a Bennies on the Upper West Side (321 1/2 amsterdam between 75th and 76th, 212-749-7500). It's not quite as wonderful as the one in Jersey, but it's excellent nonetheless. At the one in Jersey, the matriarch of the family is present and in control. Manhattan operates more as a satellite. For some dishes this doesn't matter, especially the make-ahead salads and spreads which are indistinguishable between locations. But falafel is unfortunately warmed over in Manhattan while fresh in Jersey.

-----

Steven A. Shaw

www.fat-guy.com

Every Northern Jerseyite has at least heard of Manna (well, not really, but its nice to say...)!

To tell you the truth, I love Manna, but can only stomach it every few months.  Why?  Because it is so addicting that I over-buy and stuff myself silly.  And being pure red meat and cheese... well... even of the highest quality it can wind up not feeling so good later on.

Really its the meatball into onion into cheese process that makes the thing.  The completely irraplacable cast iron grill--"seasoned" with the leavings of approximately a million meatball sized burgers--is the other half of the equation.  If the idea of the "seasoning" of a million other meals sickens you, I'll understand... but they've got a real good scraper.  

White Castle, the "slider" being alluded to elsewhere--is a far far second place comparitively.

(Edited by Jhlurie x at 6:02 am on Aug. 5, 2001)

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Oh, there's absolutely no comparison. WHITE MANNA makes real hamburgers. White Castle makes a fake thing from sawed off frozen beef and onion sheets. Sassy's Sliders is slightly better but much closer to White Castle than to WHITE MANNA. All hail WHITE MANNA!

-----

Jon Marcus

jonathan-marcus@excite.com

I would go farther than you with Silver Pond. The dim sum there is better than anything I have had in Manhattan. If Ping's or some of the other best Manhattan dim sum restaurants do serve dim sum as good as Silver Pond's, there is still a Silver Pond edge in terms of freshness. No carts, hand carried trays only, makes a big difference.

Wondees sounds wonderful.

Got to mention Baumgarts on Palisade Avenue in Englewood. Fresh Chinese and homemade icecream - the combination should be patented.

Anybody check out the recent incarnation of Sol N' Sol, across the street from Baumgarts? It's moved around a lot since it's first location on lower Palisades, but they used to have the best hand-cut fries and superior pastrami.

-----

Liza

Yes, PB, there is an underground gourmet world south of Routes 4, 46, and 3 in NJ.  To meet the need for rodizio, take the trip to Newark to the Iberia Restaurant, a few blocks from Penn Station.  The meats are juicy and spiced, and the rule is all you can eat (for under ฤ).  The special sangria is also top-notch.  There are other outposts for the gustacurious in central NJ.  Three great restaurants which can kick up excitement to match some of NYC's best do a great take  on American Nouvelle.  In Red Bank there is Two if by Sea, in Ocean Township there is Bistro J, and outside of Princeton in Lawrencville is Acacia.  The latter two are BYOB for extra enjoyment.  Let's have some central Jersey gourmet dialogue in the future.  Cordially, Manny Shapiro

-----

mannyshp

I always found the food at Iberia to be too salty. For Spanish we love Spanish Sangria on Magazine Street. It's off the beaten path. For Central Jersey--and I consider that the New Brunswick area we like LouCa's in Edison (BYO), Panico's in New Brunswick (upscale Italian) Soho on George ( we were just there and it was fantastic) and Frog and The Peach. Have you been to Restaurant Nicholas? Devine. We also love Moonstruck in Ocean Grove (BYO). And for a real treat go to Homestead Inn in Trenton. It is an old house that you wouldn't go into unless someone told you about it. No prices, no menu, no wine list. Don't worry. You will be impressed.

-----

Rosie

eGullet.com Community Coordinator, New Jersey

(Edited by Rosie x at 6:03 am on Aug. 5, 2001)

Spanish Sangria has been kind of a disappointment lately, they've been very heavy on the salt, rachel will attest to this. Their garlic mushroom appetizer which really used to be quite good has tasted like it was swimming in salt the last 2 times we were there. They have also been overcooking their seafood. I'm willing to go back again but I think they need a new chef.

I vastly prefer Casa Vasca off of Lafayette street. Its too bad sangria has been kind of a downer, because when I go to casa vasca I still have the urgings for Teixiera's bakery right by sangria, and that requires moving the car  If you go to Casa Vasca make sure you bring home a tortilla de patatas and eat it for lunch or breakfast the next day.

-----

Jason Perlow -- Director eGullet.com Community

(Edited by Jason Perlow x at 6:04 am on Aug. 5, 2001)

A recent favorite is Homung Nangmyom.  A Korean restaurant at 570 Piermont Rd, Closter, NJ, 201-750-1010.  The food preparation and quality is similar to Shin Goon Jin in Palisades Park, but the service is so much better and friendlier.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Quote: from R Perlow x on 6:06 am on Aug. 5, 2001

A recent favorite is Homung Nangmyom.  A Korean restaurant at 570 Piermont Rd, Closter, NJ, 201-750-1010.  The food preparation and quality is similar to Shin Goon Jin in Palisades Park, but the service is so much better and friendlier.

What do you order there?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

At Homung Nangmyom we usually order Bulgogi (thin sliced marinated ribeye) and another type of table grilled meat (spicy pork, shrimp or short ribs).  Sometimes we'll also get the green onion pancake (nothing like chinese scallion pancake).  This comes with an assortment of pan chan (kim chee, various pickled things like bean sprouts, something shredded and white (daikon or jicama?), preserved fishy thingies (bait?), very good fish cakes, a custard served in broth, etc.).  You eat the meat wrapped in lettuce leaves using the pan chan as condiments.

They also have dishes that are not cooked at the table, Korean and Japanese, and sushi.  

Quote: from Jason Perlow on 12:40 pm on Aug. 10, 2001

Jtracey where do you live in north jersey?

In Scotch Plains -- newly emigrated from Rumson! Which has Fromagerie, a great place to blow a 401k; and Salt Creek Grill, which is a great place to blow ๪ on bad hamburgers and sorry ass fries; and this little Irish pub/restaurant, which is a great place to sit in a barely air conditioned room and eat canned mushroom soup gravy on thick chicken cutlets; and What's Your Beef?, which is supposedly Heather Locklear's FAVE place to eat, in spite of her 22-inch waist. Apologize for spreading urban myths. And -- actually -- Fromageries was wonderful. But there we sat, two barely solvent editors, eating this marvelous food, our 92 Mazda Protege hidden down the block far from the beemers and -- no lie -- the lambhorghini (sp?) in the lot. There were actually people there with thick wads of 100-dollar bills.

Quote: from Rosie on 1:50 pm on Aug. 10, 2001

They have a wonderful tasting dinner and Chef Drake makes skate that is better than anything I had in Paris.

that's saying a lot, what with Paris being the "skate capital of the world" and all. ;)

kidding aside, SHI is wonderful.  i just wish i lived closer.

Quote: from jtraceynj on 12:33 pm on Aug. 10, 2001

How about some suggestions in places other than the 10-mile radius around Jason Perlow's house?? :)

We don't all live in Hackensack or Edgewater dammit!

Well it is a Northern NJ thread.

Jay... why don't you post a Central Jersey thread and post Morristown recommendations.  Well... actually some might still consider that Northern Jersey.  And besides, those would all be within 10 miles of where you USED to live! :)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

LouCas also now has a sister restaurant, CHRISTINE'S on Rt 9 in Howell, Monmouth County. If you like LouCas, Christine's is an exact duplicate. First try at a post, hope it works

Tom D

Quote: from jtraceynj on 12:33 pm on Aug. 10, 2001

How about some suggestions in places other than the 10-mile radius around Jason Perlow's house?? :)

We don't all live in Hackensack or Edgewater dammit!

Feel free to post all the recommendations you'd like for other areas you'd like, I don't know anything about the Scotch Plains area.

As to jhlurie's suggestion we post about Morristown and vicinity, here's a guide:

Italian:

Cinque Figlie was our very favorite, but we heard recently that it closed :( Opening in a new location, Rosie?

Pazzo Pazzo: decent Italian right across from HQ Plaza movie theaters. Jason loved the marinated olives they put on the table to nibble on.74 Speedwell Ave Morristown, NJ (973) 898-6606  

Il Mondo Vecchio - really good, fresh homemade northern Italian.  Make a reservation for this smallish restaurant.  72 Main St  Madison, NJ (973) 301-0024

Trattoria Toscana - Tiny place, great food, make a reservation, BYOB.  Luscious osso bouco. 554 State Route 10  Whippany, NJ (973) 386-0303  

Eccola - Excellent pasta, mussels marinara, semi-open kitchen.  Gourmet shop next door. 1082 US Highway 46  Parsippany, NJ (973) 334-8211  

French:

Pierre's - Bistro cuisine in a renovated mansion.  Fabulous buffet at lunchtime.  995 Mount Kemble Ave  Morristown, NJ (973) 425-1212

CIA aka New American Cuisine:

Tim Schafer's Cuisine - Formerly of Creations in Madison, the CIA trained chef creates dishes that feature various beers, but the restaurant is BYOB.  82 Speedwell Ave  Morristown, NJ (973) 538-3330  

Garlic Rose - gimicky restaurant that works.  All dishes feature garlic and a whole head of roasted garlic is usually the garnish.  Make a meal out of the french onion and garlic soup.  I think we've loved every dish there. Fabulous roast chicken. Take home some of the garlic/herb oil placed on the table as a bread dip. Skip the garlic ice cream (I thought it would be sweet with roasted garlic. It wasn't.)  41 Main St  Madison, NJ (973) 822-1178

Spanish:

Galicia - More South American than spanish, but great garlic chicken.  Good choice if you don't want to travel to Newark.  141 Speedwell Ave  Morristown, NJ (973) 682-8828

Steakhouses:

Sebastian's - Premium steakhouse by Morristown train station.  Great chef, terrific sides, excellent service, etc. 80 Elm St  Morristown, NJ (973) 539-8545  

Sagebrush Steak Cantina - Fun and casual with Tex-Mex leanings.  Great margaritas, order steak by the ounce, extensive salad bar.  38 Horsehill Rd  Cedar Knolls, NJ (973) 539-3324

Hamburgers/Bar & Grill:

Bogey's - Great burgers.  Small standard menu, but the specials are always good, especially the eggplant rollatini.  960 State Route 10  Whippany, NJ (973) 887-7324

Charley's Aunt - Big burgers in a bar.  8-10 S Passiaic Ave  Chatham, NJ (973) 635-6772

Durkins Irish Steak Ale House - true bar with food, good burgers, great steakfries.  235 Ridgedale Ave  Cedar Knolls, NJ (973) 540-0264

Chinese:

Noodle Chu - great dim sum, extensive cantonese menu, including lots of roast meats. 770 US Highway 46  Parsippany, NJ (973) 299-6518  

Hunan Cottage -  Ask for the Chinese menu, the regular one looks like your typical chow mein place; fabulous soup dumplings. 14 Route 46 E  Fairfield, NJ (973) 808-8328

Mr. Chu - American Gourmet Chinese, owned by the same guy who runs Noodle Chu.  Trivia: Mr. Chu has Mandarin staff vs. Cantonese staff at Noodle Chu, so they don't trade staff because they can't speak to each other!  More white people at Mr. Chu, but food and service is excellent. 44 State Route 10  East Hanover, NJ (973) 887-7555

Japanese:

Nagano - most authentic, best sushi.  23 Washington St  Morristown, NJ (973) 540-9120

Nikko - most popular, better sushi and all the standard hot Japanese food.  881 State Route 10  Whippany, NJ (973) 428-0787

East Tokyo - Bowling Alley adjacent (not audibly thankfully), good sushi, kitchen prepared hibachi available. 119 State Route 10  East Hanover, NJ (973) 515-8080

Mikado Japanese Steak House - Hibachi, better than Benihana's, inside a Marriott. 1401 State Route 10 Whippany, NJ (973) 538-8811

Thai:

New Main Taste - Elegant and relatively expensive thai.  Only one curry of the day, but otherwise extensive menu. 225 Main St  Chatham, NJ (973) 635-7333

Morris Thai Cuisine - More casual, less expensive, mix & match curry selection. 1975 Morris Ave  Union, NJ (908) 688-5678

Malasian:

Penang - We keep finding new things to order on their extensive menu. Fried Pearl Noodles and Tofu Nyonya were two favs, also the Pineapple or Mango Chicken. 200 Route 10 W  East Hanover, NJ (973) 887-6989

Mongolian BBQ:

J P Lee's - this is where there is a kind of salad bar with all the fixins, you put it into a bowl with your choice of sauces and the chef cooks it on a big round flat grill.  They usually have a chinese buffet and simple sushi at dinner time. Skip it and stick with the BBQ. 318 Millburn Ave  Millburn, NJ (973) 912-9899  

Indian:

Moghul - Modern menu, great buffet. Known for its catering on and off premises. 35 Morris St, Morristown, NJ (973) 631-1100

Best Diner:

Whippany Diner - the Best hands down. Burgers, daily specials, some greek, Moussaka on Friday nights. Cheesecake. 417 State Route 10  Whippany, NJ (973) 428-5054  

Deli:

Harold's - Mammoth portions, plan to share, go with a group. 707 US Highway 46 Parsippany, NJ (973) 335-3339  

Eppes Essen - kosher style. 105 E Mount Pleasant Ave Livingston, NJ (973) 994-1120  

Kosher/Vegetarian:

Jerusalem West - formerly Jerusalem Pizza. They still have pizza, but now in a bigger location and not next to the "Pork Store". Great felafel and turkish coffee. 99-101 Mount Pleasant Ave  Livingston, NJ (973) 533-1424

Cinque Figlie is still open. They will be moving to a new location in a few months--maybe sooner. I will report on Table Hopping With Rosie as soon as chef/owner Joe gives me the ok. Also, someone bought CF and will be opening a restaurant under a different name there.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE