• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farmer's Markets - 2004

:cool:

Probably the only reason it was quiet on Saturday in Evanston would be that lots of the folks who come from greater distances hadn't heard it was open ("Already? COOL!").

Me? I live three blocks away from that market now; it's gonna be a ratatouille summer, I can tell already. But first, the morels, sauteed in butter with shallots and piled on toast for breakfast. And then there's that asparagus, the salad course to end 'em all, with a lemongrette drizzled on top. Between that and the seriously good bread at Bennison's that makes me too lazy -- and jealous -- to bake (I quit buying the stuff at Whole Foods awhile ago), and all those jams and jellies to play with over and inside spongecakes until the berries truly get going (PIE TIME!), and the adventures in my wineglasses recommended by the owner of First Evanston Liquors (on Davis Street east of Oak, north side of the street, just a few doors down from the Pine Yard and across the street from the Cozy Thai place)...restaurants are only gonna see me now and then this summer, even with Va Pensiero barely a few steps from my back door and the fearful temptation of Trio barely four blocks away!

Gonna be goooooooooood cooking this year.

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Many welcomes, Ian. One of my own personal Bermuda Triangles seems to be located with corners at Barnes and Noble, Dixie Kitchen and Bait Shop, and Whole Foods (to stock up after I'm done bookshopping and breakfasting, particularly if what I read at breakfast is a cookbook!). Another is shaping up barely a block away, with its first two corners at Border's and the Farmers' Market (I don't know where the third corner will be. An interesting possibility is Chef's Station, the restaurant located literally underneath the Davis Street Metra station.). Still another is forming from the Main Newspaper Stand to Lupita's just west of the Metra tracks to...I don't know where yet.

Does that happen with you -- do you have similar sorts of microneighborhoods that simply demand that you spend time with them?

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Green City Market Report:

The market is amazing this week-- I shopped until I ran out of room in my pannier, then I bungeed 2 bunches of rhubarb on the back for good measure. My haul:

--NY strip steaks and stew meat from Heartland Meats

--Horseradish mustard from Herbally Yours

--Pepper/olive/cheese bread and a chocolate croissant from Bennison's bakers

--the aforementioned rhubarb

--bacon, lettuce, and really gorgeous red red tomatoes from a Milwaukee farmers coop with a shivering (nervous) chihuaua

Other temptations included morels, asparagus, cheese, etc. I really need to get a second pannier. I just devoured the chocolate croissant and it was delicious. As the nice lady said "Honey, it's better than Paris!" Then she apologized for calling me honey-- I told her that we're in the Midwest, you can go ahead and call me Honey. Just keep the croissants a-comin'!

Edited to correct spelling and add: The tomatoes are outstanding-- real summer flavor and juice. Wow-- I just slurped the entire thing!

Edited by iguana (log)

One of my own personal Bermuda Triangles seems to be located with corners at Barnes and Noble, Dixie Kitchen and Bait Shop, and Whole Foods (to stock up after I'm done bookshopping and breakfasting, particularly if what I read at breakfast is a cookbook!). Another is shaping up barely a block away, with its first two corners at Border's and the Farmers' Market (I don't know where the third corner will be. An interesting possibility is Chef's Station, the restaurant located literally underneath the Davis Street Metra station.). Still another is forming from the Main Newspaper Stand to Lupita's just west of the Metra tracks to...I don't know where yet.

Does that happen with you -- do you have similar sorts of microneighborhoods that simply demand that you spend time with them?

Mine is east of the Main Newspaper Stand, to Cafe Express (I'm not crazy about Lupita's). The lakefront from South Blvd. to Northwestern. The Farmer's Market & Movie Theatre area. Whole Foods & Peet's. North Clark St. in Chicago. Barnes & Noble probably would be too, but the traffic over there drives me nuts, even though I usually bike (glad to hear there's another bicyclist at egullet, Iguana).

I have to say, I liked my collections of microneighborhoods in Chicago, but Evanston is a decent substitute.

Ian

... even though I usually bike (glad to hear there's another bicyclist at egullet, Iguana).

I'm glad to see another biker too! There are lots of us on egullet, including Fresser and yellowtruffle. The possibility of an egullet bike ride has been discussed-- maybe to a farmers market!

Another Green City Market report:

I second Iguana's sentiments about the quality of today's GCM. Probably their best opening day ever in terms of number of vendors and selection. There were several new booths--unfortunately I realized too late I had forgotten my pen and paper to get all the specifics. On Clark St. facing the street, there was a new vendor (from about 70 miles downstate) of potted/picked organic herbs, plants, and soaps. Perhaps most interesting was a dairy vendor I had not encountered before. Traderspoint Creamery is Indiana Certified Organic and sells unhomogenized whole milk, whole milk plain yogurt, chocolate milk, and flavored yogurts. The yogurts are thin and pourable--perfect for smoothies, fruit topping, or just drinking. I bought one plain yogurt and one whole milk. After just pouring myself a glass for lunch, I'm not so sure I'll get used to the taste of the milk. Their cows are grassfed and it has a distinctly grassy taste. I also noticed more egg vendors this year than last. One stand was selling both chicken and duck eggs ($4 and $6 a dozen respectively). All the old favorites were back, including Klug's and the Wisconsin Homegrown cooperative. The guy at Klug's is great to talk to--he is always enthusiastic about sharing his farming techniques and knowledge of the different varietals he sells.

This morning's haul included:

Rhubarb (from Klug's--a Russian variety he claims no one else is raising in the vicinity--I thought it looked the best of anyone's, good red color and not too thick.)

Green Asparagus and Morels: I'll simmer both in shallots and cream and pour over pasta.

Green garlic from Nichols: Hey, I never know what to do with this stuff either. I think I'll make some garlic/oil pasta with some of it. Probably put it in some pizza sauce too.

Potted herbs (we'll see how well they withstand the downtown wind on my balcony this year)

Peppery Mesclun mix (at least that's what it looks like--my husband picked this one up)

Milk and yogurt from Traderspoint

This was my husband's first time at the market, and he proved to be a sucker for Wisconsin cheese curds, a crepe (can't say I minded sharing that), and those hothouse tomatoes Iguana mentioned. Not all things I would have purchased, but to each his own...

All in all, we blew any semblance of a budget and had a great time.

Klug's says two weeks until strawberries! I can't wait.

I'm interested to hear if anyone was around for Chef Bruce Sherman's (North Pond) demonstration? I really enjoyed his last year.

Damn!

I'm going to have to 'call in sick' one of these Wednesdays and hit the GCM. :biggrin:

Thanks for the reports everyone.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

First day of Springfield Farmer's Market today. I had forgotten and only had $5 in my purse, but I did fine.

8 stalks of green onions (not scallions)

1 bunch cilantro

1/2lb arugula

2 bunches of radishes

The market also had strawberries that were popular, but I think it's still too early for good strawberries.

We are going to be in Chicago to visit my family for the Memorial Day weekend. I think we are going to have to swing up to Evanston for the Farmer's Market on Saturday! Is there anything we absolutely shouldn't miss? We might have to bring a cooler along! :biggrin:

Green garlic from Nichols: Hey, I never know what to do with this stuff either. I think I'll make some garlic/oil pasta with some of it. Probably put it in some pizza sauce too.

I ended up doing a simple sautee of green garlic (bottom white bulb and up to pale green) and broccoli on Tuesday with just EVOO and salt. Turned out very nice. I might take off the exterior layer next time as it was a bit tough. Let me know how yours turns out.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Went to the Kalamazoo Area Farmers Market in Kalamazoo, MI this morning.

I shall soon become addicted.

I bought:

red/orange bell peppers (4 for $4, at the local grocery stores they are $3.99 a piece right now :wacko: )

white and red radishes

green garlic

2 T-bone steaks from Girton Farms, LLC--$6.99/lb. They are a 6th generation farm out of Sturgis, MI.

1 7-lb. roaster chicken :shock: at $2.00/lb. This came from Jerry & Bonnie Bartholomew in Scotts, MI. They also had pork chops at $3.99/lb. and soon they will have bison meat.

rhubarb

strawberries

a baguette about 10 feet long

and some German sausages from Standale, MI--real hickory smoked pork & beef

I was in heaven. What a wonderful place. Tonight I shall have steak and a radish salad, with a green garlic saute.

:wub:

Noise is music. All else is food.

• 2 weeks later...

Hit the Deerfield Market today--opening day :smile:

I ended up with the following:

Broccoli - My favorite item from last year's market. Deep green and a whole 'nother' world from anything you see in stores. It's much softer in texture, almost leafy--if that makes sense--and way sweeter in flavor than conventional stuff.

Red Bulb Onions - very aromatic and beautiful-looking

Asparagus - fantastic looking stalks...firm and unblemished

Strawberries - aromatic, sweet and delicious

Dark Sweet Cherries - very sweet and not mushy at all

2 aged ribeyes from Heartland meats - first time trying these. I'm skeptical but figured I should give them a chance.

It was a very sparse market today--usually is at the onset. Still, it was great to be back at the market. As I work through the goods over the next couple of days, I'll be sure to report back on the highlights.

=R=

I got up to the Evanston market today, and got some baby leeks from Kinikinick, to be used in Szechuan Twice-Cooked Pork, red potatoes from Henry's, and a pint of blueberries. Amazing how bountiful the farmers markets are now compared to a month ago...

Broccoli - My favorite item from last year's market. Deep green and a whole 'nother' world from anything you see in stores. It's much softer in texture, almost leafy--if that makes sense--and way sweeter in flavor than conventional stuff.

I almost got the broccoli too, but we may have some in our box from the co-op this week, so I had to restrain myself. It better be in there, because you've really got me wanting it now.

Ian

guajolote sent me this link, about Nichols Farm, which has a fantastic stand at the Evanston Farmer's Market...

Farming It In - Organic produce, packaged for you

What Nichols claims Chicagoans have found a place at the table for are the 1,000 specialty vegetables and fruits he grows on his 273-acre family-run farm in Marengo, Ill., about 70 miles west of Chicago. "I was organic from the beginning," he says. And now he's online: Nichols Farm and Orchard's latest offering is a Pick-of-the-Day individually designed and priced package of fresh produce that he'll ship overnight anywhere in the United States (815-748-8526; www.nicholsfarm.com). He's bringing the farmer's market to American city dwellers who might not be motivated enough to get there themselves.

=R=

now i'm really wishing i had clicked on the link to all the farmer's markets before and realised that sunday is not a good day to try and do your grocery shopping.

i am deeply jealous of all your veggies.

BTW Tarka,

Nichols Farm sells at both the CHiC (Cooking & Hospitality Institute of Chicago) Market--Chicago's only year-round market (Orleans & Chestnut) and at the Bucktown Market June 20 - October 24. Both are 'Sunday' markets. :smile:

=R=

I almost got the broccoli too, but we may have some in our box from the co-op this week, so I had to restrain myself.  It better be in there, because you've really got me wanting it now.

Ian,

I sure hope your box included broccoli because the stuff we got from the market was fabulous. So too were the ribeyes from Heartland meats and the red bulb onions.

Unfortunately, the cherries and strawberries deteriorated somewhat from the time I tasted them at the market on Saturday until the time we served them at dinner on Sunday. They were ok, but not even as good as some I'd purchased a few weeks ago at Costco :shock:

Grilling the asparagus tonight. And fwiw, the organic greens from Nichols Farm/Evanston Farmers Market were to die for. My friend brought them over and I have never loved salad so.

=R=

Nichols farm does a nice job with all of the markets they hit. I am fortunate that I get to hit them 3 times a week, Tuesday at the Federal Plaza, Wednesday at the Green City Market, and Thursday at Daley Plaza. The onions from them have been outstanding. Same with their kohlrabi.

I am also going to put my vote in for the amazing produce from Green Acres, they definitely have more of an Asian vegetable selection, but lately their baby carrots have been incredible. The cilantro this week, looked a lot like dill, but was so pungent it was incredible. :cool:

It's great to see how big the green city market has grown in the past few years. Thank the great culinary God in the sky people appreciate produce the way it was meant be.

Patrick Sheerin

Unfortunately, I don't have access to Nichols Farm products at the Deerfield market but I did get some fantastic blueberries and black raspberries there today from Skibbe Farms out of Eau Claire, WI. My other favorite vendor at the Deerfield market, is Red Barn Farm Market which is located in Woodstock, IL. They are the ones with the aforementioned, wonderful broccoli. They also have some fantastic greens and today had the most perfect looking kohlrabi I've ever seen.

Anyway, here are a couple pics of the broccoli...

broccoli2.redbarnfarms.smaller.jpg

brocoli.redbarnfarms.ecu.smaller.jpg

=R=

edited to correct Skibbe Farms' name

I LOVE the Evanston farmers market! I just discovered it this year, and it becomes my inspiration to survive the week. Heirloom tomatoes, "skinny grass", apple cider, all are amazing! For many years I had gone to the market in Northfield, just across from New Trier, which was small, and in retrospect, inadaqaute. The only thing I miss about it is the cheese stand. All the cheeses were AMAZING! I CANNOT DESCRIBE THE BEAUTY OF THIS CHEESE PLACE! I loved it. The Evanston markets does have a cheese stand, but it is overpriced, less friendly, not made by the sellers, and simply not as good. Nonetheless, the Evanston market is wonderful, and I am also excited to find out more about the market at CHiC.

If you havent seen the market at Evanston, check it out, but also visit the cheese place in Northfield, its out of this world!

~Ben

Some people say the glass is half empty, others say it is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

Ben Wilcox

benherebfour@gmail.com

I will expand this to include the Twin Cities. As I picked my niece up at the airport at the someone obscene hour of 5:15 am last Friday, we drove through the Lowry tunnel at exactly 6:00 am, so decided that a trip to the Mpls. Farmer's Market was in order. I used to live but 6 minutes away. Now, it is much further, but I must make the effot to go the extra 15 minutes to get there. My niece is from Berkeley, and she describes their farmer's market as much different (only on Saturday's; most vendors are aging hippies).

The Minneapolis Farmer's market operates every day of the week. Although the St. Paul Farmer's Market is only open on the weenend, it only permits produce and products (including meat, cheese, vinegars, etc.) produced and grown within a limited geographical area (includes a little bit of Western Wisconsin as I recall), Minneapolis Farmer's Market also has some "commercial" vendors so you can get stuff like bananas, etc. But, I digress.

On weekdays, the Minneapolis Farmer's Market is pretty sleepy. Much smaller than on weekends. All veggies and plants -- no meat, eggs, cheese, etc. But it's quiet and easy to park and navigate. Most of the vendors are Hmong, and my do they clean and present their veggies in a most appealing manor. It is amazing. Everything glistens and looks beautiful.

We have had a very cool and rainy spring and early summer. We have only seen one day above 80 degrees (F). We are loning for the hot days of summer. I continue to think that if I continue to wear shorts and tank tops, the Weather Powers That Be will realize that it is time for us to be something other than neon-white and goose-pimply. We are starting to wonder if we will see a homegrown tomato. An ear of fresh picked sweet corn.

But, I did pick up the most beautiful peas --- snaps and snows, and spinach to die for. The latter included the beautiful pink "just above the roots." I also snagged some MN grown strawberries -- outstanding, as always. And, new potatoes the size of marbles. I seared the peas (in two batches, but mixed together later) with garlic and shallots and added a bit of soy and sesame oil. They were divine.

So, last night, potato salad (potatoes halved, cooked, dressed with white wine, then EVVO, some white wine vinegar, garlic and leftover cooked artichokes and the last of my frozen roasted red peppers), and strawberries mascerated in a tidge of balsamic over some of the spinach (which had been very lightly coated with EVOO).

Tonitgh, it's just Paul, Heidi and I, so I will fry some bacon, make a warm dressing with the bacon drippings, and toss with the spinach and some hard-cooked eggs.

I will say that this is the sweetest, most beautiful spinach I could ask for. Unfortunately, I forgot my digi-cam at my folks house. Just imagine. I really should dig out a bottle of pinot.

Edited by snowangel (log)
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I hit the CHIC farmers market this noontime. I think I'm spoiled by the Green City market, because this one seemed a bit sparse. I got chuck stew meat from Heartland Meats to grind for burgers tonight, plus beets and dill from Nichols farm and a few cheeses for a Ravinia outing this week.

Ronnie_s, I'm glad you enjoyed the Heartland Meats ribeyes. The Heartland meats folks are just the sweetest couple and they produce some fine beef. I just had a new cut from there-- a flatiron steak. It's like a mini flank steak, very lean and beefy.

Thanks Susan, for the report. Even with all the caveats, it must be nice to have a 7 day/week market. Sounds like you picked up some very nice items.

Iguana, I have to say that when I bought the steaks last weekend, the gentleman at the Heartland booth told me that he wouldn't be back in DF until 7/3. At the time, I just sort of shrugged it off. But when I was back at the market this Saturday and realized that they weren't going to be there, I was bummed. No question I'll be buying some more of their stuff next weekend--perhaps even the flatiron cut.

=R=