• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farmer's Markets - 2004

Has anyone heard of Organic Pastures? They seem like a nice group of people with some high quality meat. They were at Evanston last week and were quick to explain to me not only how they raise, feed, and care for the animals, but exactly where on the animal the meat I was purchasing came from. I say all this, however, before actaully cooking the meat. I bought some lamb chops and a skirt steak. We'll find out if they are any good!

~Ben

Some people say the glass is half empty, others say it is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

Ben Wilcox

benherebfour@gmail.com

Has anyone heard of Organic Pastures? They seem like a nice group of people with some high quality meat. They were at Evanston last week and were quick to explain to me not only how they raise, feed, and care for the animals, but exactly where on the animal the meat I was purchasing came from. I say all this, however, before actaully cooking the meat. I bought some lamb chops and a skirt steak. We'll find out if they are any good!

~Ben

I buy from them here in Bloominton, IL. So far I have been happy with everything I've gotten...the only semi-annoying thing is you don't have much control over how things are cut, or what's available at any give time. (I originally planned on joining the CSA, but it was way too much beef for our needs. Now I go once a month and buy an assortment of whatever they have. I hoard certain cuts, like ribs and the leg of lamb...more expensive out of the CSA, but still totally worth the money, IMO.) Apparently the kids raise the lambs, for 4-H.

I am curious to hear what you think. Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have said anything, I don't want to be competing for my meat with another eG-er :wink:

edited to fix a typo -- but while I'm here, can I just mention how happy I am that central IL people are such idiots when it comes to cooking? Farmstand people keep giving me free stuff, as none of their customers know what to do with it. Last week, 2 lbs of beet greens, this week, a giant bunch of dill. I am a good customer and all, but given that it's really hard to spend more than $15 at the market each week, I feel kinda bad about all the gifts-with-purchase.

Edited by Behemoth (log)

Here's my report from the Green City Market today: WOW!

They have at least doubled the number of vendors from previous weeks, breaking out a second row of tents into the park. All manner of fruits are in: cherries, peaches, blueberries, raspberries. I was promised pitted pie cherries for next week. I scored carrots (with tops for my pet iggies), Chinese broccoli, and hothouse tomatoes.

On the non-veg side, there was a new vendor selling yogurt and I got a quart of peach. Also bread and a chocolate croissant from Bennison's. The croissant is already history-- one of the best I've ever had. The Heartland Meats people were there, but I had stocked up on beef on Sunday at CHIC. We're having leftover grilled tri-tip tonight.

This really is the best market in Chicago, and I've been to CHIC, both downtown markets, and several of the neighborhood markets including the Saturday Lincoln park market. The crowds here are mellow-- more babies, dogs, and bikes than uptight jerks. Also, this market seems to draw a better crowd of vendors. I love summer in Chicago!

Also bread and a chocolate croissant from Bennison's.  The croissant is already history-- one of the best I've ever had.

Bennison's...yeah!! :smile: As you probably know, their helmsman, Guy Downer, is a member of Team USA 2005.

Thanks for the excellent report, Iguana. Sounds like the market is really beginning to hit its stride.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

• 2 months later...

Just received this news about Chicago's Green City Market today...(thanks g-man for the heads up)

Six extended season Markets at the Zoo!

November 6, 13, 20 & December 4, 11, 18.

The first 3 SATURDAYS of November and December.

9am-1pm.

The Kovler Lion House.

I sure hope the Lion House is less 'aromatic' than the Monkey House or this is going to be a less-than-optimal venue for food shopping. :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

• 1 month later...

didn't smell at all.

it was great market and VERY BUSY :shock: . i highly recommend going. lots of things are still in season: shallots, leeks, potatoes, spinach, baby lettuce, beets as big as your head :cool:, kale, broccoli ,cauliflower, winter squash, parsnipos, etc. i also picked up a dozen eggs, honey, mushrooms, some goat cheese from capriole, and an epi from bennisons . parking is a problem, i was with my kids and had to pay the $12 for the zoo parking :angry:

there's also a thanksgiving market on saturday at the church across from the best western in evanston. i'll be picking up my 16 lb. bourbon red guajolote :wub: .

Just received this news about Chicago's Green City Market today...(thanks g-man for the heads up)
Six extended season Markets at the Zoo!

November 6, 13, 20 & December 4, 11, 18.

The first 3 SATURDAYS of November and December.

9am-1pm.

The Kovler Lion House.

I sure hope the Lion House is less 'aromatic' than the Monkey House or this is going to be a less-than-optimal venue for food shopping. :biggrin:

=R=

I was there as well, and it was quite crowded, I was happy to see. I also wondered about the feline aromas, but was shocked that it was not noticeable. The doors were open, which I'm sure helped.

I suppose I shouldn't give away my parking secrets, but there's often parking north of Fullerton on...not sure of the name, but the street that runs in front of the nature museum. I almost always find parking there.