• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farmer's Markets - 2004

The Evanston Farmers Market, generally regarded as one of the best in Chicagoland, is scheduled to open on Saturday May 15, 2004 and Farmers Markets in many other communities will also be starting their seasons in the very near future.

The market nearest me--Deerfield, IL--is just okay but still I look forward to it. Most of the produce offered there comes in from Michigan and downstate Illinois. I'm especially looking forward to once again scoring some fantastic broccoli, asparagus, apples, peaches, and greens--to name just a few items. I try to appreciate the market for its good points and not dwell on the negatives. Deerfield is a relatively small market but there's always enough good stuff there to make it worth the trip even if there is a disproportionate quantity of dog treats being sold there :wacko:

Anyone else excited about Farmers Market season? I'd love to hear about your favorite markets and the items that you look forward to. Since my spring and summer Saturdays are normally tied up with Little League, it's not always easy to venture out to other markets, but I'd still love some recommendations for those days when I do have the time.

FYI, click here for a (complete?) listing of Farmers Markets in Illinois.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

While it's not the best market in the city I imagine, the Farmer's Market at the Post Office downtown has always been my favorite because of its convenience. I pass it almost everyday on my way to and from work and I liked stopping there on Tuesday afternoons to pick up the week's veggies. With some time to kill this summer I might head up to the Evanston and check out that market.

What others are also good? Like I said, I have some time to kill this summer and new bike to pedal around.

I can't believe farmers market season is here already! Woo hoo! I love the Green City Market on Wednesdays at Lincoln and Clark. (http://www.chicagogreencitymarket.org/). The first market is May 19th. This market is less of a zoo than some others and includes some more interesting purveyors.

My favorites:

Beef from Heartland Meats

Goat cheese from Capriole Dairy (not always there; keep an eye out for Wabash cannonballs)

Whoever those folks were on the right near the back, who had the farmed trout and the people next door who had fennel to stuff it with!

The market is also quite bike friendly. I'm the gal with the stickered Raleigh, black pannier, and the helmet with the "I love MEAT" sticker.

I'm going to get some rhubarb, and some greens for the iggies, and some beef, and some cheese! I'm so excited!!! </spaz>

I sense bit :wink: of enthusiasm on your part Iguana and I know a lot of people who feel the same way. One of my friends has been keeping a countdown--and reminding me about it daily--until the Evanston market opens. :smile:

mudbug, thanks for the link. I know I'm probably being dense, but is their a market locator at that site? I couldn't find a link for one. :sad:

=R=

Ours starts on the 15th -- Yay!

I will be out of town -- Boo!

But I am having a bunch of people over for "Market Dinner" (aka I cook whatever I find) on the 22nd -- Yay!

Seriously though, I really can barely stand waiting any longer. I hope that guy with the amazing fennel is here this year. A little too early for tomatoes I suppose. It's like having christmas once a week! Yes, I am a dork.

I'm a Green City Market person, though sometimes the pressure gets to me. What to buy...what to do with it before it rots. I always buy too much and end up with a bad case of vegetable- induced anxiety. Fruits are not so bad--you can always make a pie. Though I always circle the guy with the small table who has currents and gooseberries. They're so expensive I would need a surefooted plan before buying. And I have yet to develop one. My favorite stand is probably the one with the husband-wife team from WI who represent an organic farming consortium and sometimes sell fresh eggs under the table. They always have the best tomatoes and you have to get there early to get the optimum pick. I also see the chefs buying from them a lot.

My big Green City dilemma is always: Should I get there early while I can find close parking, they still have free coffee and all the best produce is still out? Or go later for the chef demonstration and crepe lunch? I usually lean toward the former.

It's like having christmas once a week! Yes, I am a dork.

Me too. It's like Xmas once a week, with better presents! I hope to hear lots of reports from everyone as their farmers markets open in the upcoming weeks. I have the Green City opener on May19th marked on my calendar.

Farmer's Market Season also means easier access to perfectly fresh produce and fabulous bread from Bennison's in Evanston.

If you've had it, you know what I'm talking about.

If not, treat yourself.

I know this might sound like a plug. But it really isn't. It's about great bread and the farmer's market foodstuffs we look forward to.

If I've committed a faux pas, I apologize.

Susan H. Loomis ("On Rue Tatin") got me going with her favorite market treat: fresh French bread, with European butter, fresh radishes and a pinch of sea salt. I can make loaves and pounds of radishes disappear.

And, I know it's awesome bread for several reasons. First, I've baked there for a couple years. But don't just take my word for it. The lead baker, Jory Downer, is a Certified Master Baker, hardcore bread guy and member of the U.S. Coupe de Monde Team for 2005. We're talking world class bread here. Literally.

Bennison's bread is available at the Evanston and Wilmette Farmer's Markets and the Green City Market. This will be their second season at the Green City Market.

Enjoy.

nyc

Hi NYC :smile:

That kind of "plug" from a person who is as dedicated to their craft as you are, is exactly what makes this place truly unique and it's great to hear from someone with your level of passion.

I've heard such great things about Bennison's breads from several sources, but I've never tried them. I'll make a point of doing so in the very near future. And I have to say that I've crossed paths with Jory Downer over at the BBGoA forum and he was kind enough to help me with some bread baking questions I had.

=R=

Here's an interesting story (from today's Chicago Tribune) about a few of the local farmers whose good comprise the Chicago area Farmers Markets...

Dependent as we are on farmers, how many of us know one personally? With spring in the air, opportunities to get to know some of these agricultural workaholics are as close as your neighborhood farmers market. Beginning in May, farmers from Illinois, Michigan, Indiana and Wisconsin will be making the trek to Chicago to peddle the fruits -- and vegetables -- of their labors.

To Market, to market Part 1 of 2

To Market, to market Part 2 of 2

And here's a link to another piece that provides some great, detailed information about many of the Chicago area markets...

It's harvest time in Chicago

=R=

Ian,

Here is a link to a thread about the 2003 Evanston Farmers Market where some lists of purchases were posted.

I hope this helps. :smile:

=R=

Thanks!

My gleanings from that thread:

What guajolote hoped would be there the first session:

Hopefully there will be morels, ramps, peas, salad greens, rhubarb, ...

And what he bought:

Asparugus - about 1 foot long and 1/2 inch diameter

Spinach (top) and mesclun greens(below)

Scallions

Baby Zuchinn

Morels

Green Garlic

Bag of Cremini Mushrooms

Snow Peas

I'm suprised there was so much! I can't wait.

Thanks again,

Ian

weatherunderground.com shows Saturday will be 65 and partly cloudy, and my bank balance seems in good shape. Who's going to Evanston? :)

To answer the original inquiry yes, I am very excited for the markets to open, I'm just always a little sad that the markets in my immediate vicinity (Schaumburg area) are a little lacking. But hey, I commute downtown anyway, what's a little more time in my car?

--adoxograph

Despite the name, I no longer live in Chicago (though a Chicagoan I always will be!). When we did live there, we hauled from Hyde Park up to the Evanston Market.

We would hit Lloyd Nichols' stand first. This time of year, the mushrooms and green garlic are great. We also bought our tomatoes, as they came in, herbs, and cranberry beans from him. Then over to Giles, King of Cheese for a bunch of stuff. La Petit Tome, any of the Lazy Lady cheeses, Berkshire Blue, Mezzo Secco, and his Asiago were perennial favorites. There's a stand along the far back run by a husband and wife pair, European, and for the life of me I cannot remember their names. Tiny perfect flower bouqets, jams and jellies, and the most luscious fruit.

This time of year, we'd be eating green garlic and goat cheese pasta a lot. Saute Lloyd's thinly sliced green garlic (white and pale green parts) with whatever luscious mushrooms he was selling that week, in a smidge of butter and olive oil. Boil orichette or other smallish pasta. Drain, and add big fat dollops of whatever fresh-ish goat cheese Giles was selling. Toss to coat, pour green garlic and mushrooms over, toss, eat. Why no, I don't miss the Evanston market at all.

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

This time of year, we'd be eating green garlic and goat cheese pasta a lot. Saute Lloyd's thinly sliced green garlic (white and pale green parts) with whatever luscious mushrooms he was selling that week, in a smidge of butter and olive oil. Boil orichette or other smallish pasta. Drain, and add big fat dollops of whatever fresh-ish goat cheese Giles was selling. Toss to coat, pour green garlic and mushrooms over, toss, eat.

I live in Fox River Grove,IL and have never considered making the trip to Evanston "just" for the market... until of course that last description from chicagowench. I'm practically salivating on the keyboard.

Welcome to egullet, chicagowench!

Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about.

Troy McClure, hosting the film, The Meat Council Presents: Meat and You - Partners in Freedom

I'm almost certain that I won't have time to make it down to the Evanston market this Saturday, but on the first available Saturday, I'm there. :smile:

=R=

I live in Fox River Grove,IL and have never considered making the trip to Evanston "just" for the market... until of course that last description

I'm your pusher.

Seriously, it is a haul in from Fox River Grove, but there are all manner of tasty things along the way and in Evanston. The German market in Volo, the restaurants in scenic Evanston, the Spice House on Central Street... why not make it a day of gustatory excess and seasonal eating? And thanks for the welcome!

Yes, welcome chicagowench. Nice to have to you with us. :smile:

Where are you located now...or did I miss that?

BTW, I love The Spice House!

=R=

I'm in....Kansas. Land of BBQ, wheat, BBQ, beef, 40 Sardines, beef, beef, and did I mention beef?

So, still Heartland, just not Chicago. We're on the KS side of the Kansas City metro area.

The Evanston Farmer's market was really quiet on the 15th. Mostly fresh herbs, asparagaus, rhubarb, lots of plants. Not all the vendors are there yet. None of the fruit vendors were there, for obvious reasons (too early in the season, even for Michigan strawberries).

I highly recommend the Morlock's from Barrien Springs (I think), MI. I only buy my fruit from them. Highest quality. There are some vendors who either don't sell their own stuff or sell poor quality items that look beautiful, but taste like cardboard. Just because it's a farmers' market doesn't mean every merchant has quality.

And please, avoid my greatest pet peeve...do not strip corn! The size and/or appearance of the kernels has nothing to do with the quality or flavor of the corn; it has to do with the characteristics of the particular variety. Most farmers grow supersweet types now for truck farming, so the flavor will hold. A more important question is when it was picked.

Parking at the Evanston market will be a nightmare once it really ramps up. There is a parking garage right next to the location...use it. There is no street parking, unless you want to drive in circles for an hour. You can get your parking ticket validated right at the market, so you won't have to pay (the first hour in the garage is free anyway, whether or not you have a validated ticket).

Highland Park has a very nice, very small farmers' market on Wednesdays. There is one vendor there who has high quality Michigan fruit; a guy who has a really small operation (he's at Evanston, too), but quality, Illinois produce; and a flower vendor that sells the best cut gladiolus and sunflowers anywhere. They open fully, do not rot, and last an entire week...until you go back for more.

Hooo boy, you got me started..... :raz:

I went to the market on Saturday too - there was more there than I expected, given the tiny amount of sun we've been exposed to this Spring. I got some great, sweet asparagus, mild spring onions, green garlic, 2 dozen eggs, and some fresh herbs. I ended up making prosciutto wrapped asparagus, a fresh herb frittata, and James Beard's sweet-onion sandwiches. No plans for the green garlic - anyone have experience with it?

Ian

I love the market. Being a bit further north than you all, ours doesn't start until after memorial day. Thanks for whetting my appetite though. Our market used to be in a parking lot, just off the downtown area and was limited to a few fruit and vegetable vendors and drew just a couple dozen shoppers each week. Last year they changed it a bit, moved it to the main street and encouraged a wider variety of vendors. It really has taken off and become a weekly celebration with music and hundreds of shoppers. It's such an asset to the community.

When we lived in the Chicago area we would frequent the Oak Park market on Lake St. In addition to the fruit and veggie stands we just loved the cheeses, flowers and especially the freshly made donughts. Yum!

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

A friend of mine who shops the Evanston market brought me some asparagus from there on Saturday which I grilled last night and served with a roasted red pepper vinaigrette. It was fantastic--as good as any asparagus I've ever had. He also brought me some green garlic, but I haven't used it yet, so I can't provide any feedback on it...yet :smile:

Cusina, my wife used to live in Oak Park and she always raves about the market there--especially the flowers (she's not much of a cook :wink:).

=R=