• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baked Brie

Pumpkin Lover

I make mushroom-stuffed brie en croute from Gourmet magazine. They have the recipe on Epicurious:

http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?...om-stuffed+brie

and I make another one with apricots, pine nuts and honey and I serve it with ginger snaps or twist refrigerated bread dough around it (I can't get refrigerated bread dough in Israel, so I use the ginger snaps) and bake it. I will put it in the recipe file.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

I have had brie en croute drizzled with honey, topped with toasted almond slivers and served with apple slices, it was delicious.

I usually serve brie en croute with a Jezabel sauce on the side (sort of like a jalapeno jelly), it's so easy and always a crowd pleaser.

I have also had it topped with chutley and enjoyed that also, I mean what's not to like melted brie and pastry....yum

You can never have too many brie recipes. Or any kind of cheese recipes.

Couple versions to add:

1) Split the brie in half, spread with apricot jam, top with slivered toasted almonds and dried cherries. Wrap in puff pastry, freeze and bake.

2) Take a hunk of Havarti cheese. Brush a couple of layers of phyllo with melted butter and wrap the Havarti up. Bake until the phyllo is golden.

Laurie

I too am a fan of baked brie in puff pastry especially when it is still warm and goey. My favourite is served with a fresh blueberry sauce with some whole blueberries (I had it in a restaurant once and absolutely loved it). I think the suggestion of serving it with apple is also very appealing. I'll have to try that out soon!

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

• 3 weeks later...

I finally did this yesterday. I used Red Pepper Jelly instead of a jam to spread on top. Rolled out the pastry and sealed it up. I didn't pinch the edges closed quite tightly enough, so some of the jelly leaked out, but overall, for a first attempt, I was quite pleased. :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 13 years later...

Ok, so resurrecting this old as heck thread for some help.  I am making baked brie tomorrow for a holiday party.  I was going to make it like my mother used to: brie wheel with boursin smushed on top.  I also have a recipe for a sweeter one where the wheel is cut in half and raspberry preserves are put in the middle.  Then, my mother made another one last year that had almonds and homey.

I, now, have too many options.  Any suggestions?  I didn't want to do onions as suggested above because it seems like a more common thing for people to have an aversion to onions.

Also, what type of crackers to use to serve?  Or is some type of bread better?

Thanks!!

For baked brie, I like something with enough sweet-tart-spicy flavors to contrast with the rich cheese:  pepper jelly, cranberry relishes, ancho chile jam, blueberry chutney, peach & jalapeño preserves, that sort of thing.  I also like the honey/nut combination you mentioned.

I like to serve it with crusty sourdough bread or ciabatta.  I usually thinly slice and lightly toast some and put the rest of the loaf and a knife out for those who prefer that. 

• Like 1

I made one a few weeks ago - pecans, dried fig, brown sugar. Doused in rum & set on fire - watch the eyebrows!

For lazy baked brie, I like sundried tomato pesto, tapenade, or spicy pepper jelly. Also really like puff pastry-wrapped brie.

• Like 1

Or you could go in a completely different direction, and do it with potatoes and smoked sausage, Savoyard style.  It's what I do with baked Mont d'Or and it always goes over well :)

Although if you can find Mont d'Or, I strongly recommend getting some and baking it.  Not for the party though- you don't want to share it with too many people.

• Like 1

More suggestions did not help - lol.

I ended up not being able to find a full brie wheel, so I made both.  One with Boursin and one with honey and almonds.  I think the only reason the honey one wasn't a hit was because it was in a bowl with foil since it leaked.  I don't think anyone was sure what it was.  Once I told them, it seemed to be a big hit.  Not many have had brie with sweet, or "dessert" brie as someone called it.  Turns out, there were two other people that brought brie.  Next year, I think I'll do something different than brie.  I didn't realize it was so popular!!

• Like 1

Last time I made baked brie, I had too many layers of puff pastry which didn't cook enough. I've looked at a few blog posts where it seems "other people" are able to have many overlapping pastry leaves, see link. Suggestions about how to avoid undercooked dough?

Edited by TdeV
To add link (log)

19 hours ago, TdeV said:

Last time I made baked brie, I had too many layers of puff pastry which didn't cook enough. I've looked at a few blog posts where it seems "other people" are able to have many overlapping pastry leaves, see link. Suggestions about how to avoid undercooked dough?

Just bake it for longer.

It's been awhile, but I did a baked brie in puff pastry, with honey/pears/and I think pecans. Might have chopped walnuts.  Extremely addicting. For another option, if you want to depart from the brie scene, there's some pretty creative cheese "ball" designs out there. Somewhere, I posted the pinecone cheeseball- with almonds and rosemary sprigs. Did one of these for a snack at my daughter's impromptu 19th bday party last month...horrible pic.  (I had to take a pic off the computer. ).  Its just sliced almonds, cheddar slice, round crackers and two olive slices.  

IMG_2237.JPG

• Like 4

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

There’s a really good roasted garlic and Brie soup recipe that I pinched the flavors from - make a paste of roasted garlic and finely chopped fresh thyme and fresh oregano and a dash of olive oil (just a little) and let it sit for a short time so the flavors blend, then add that to your Brie and bake. (When I did it I made little bite sized parcels of puff pastry, but a whole round would work too.)

For a whole round I’d serve with thinly sliced lightly toasted crusty bread. (Just toasted enough for it to have more structure and stand up to oozy cheese.)