• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Courvoisier

bloviatrix

The other day I was on a subway car plastered with ads for Courvoisier. Some had the words "Fine Champagne" on them. I would love for someone to explain how that term relates to cognac. I'm perplexed.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

The other day I was on a subway car plastered with ads for Courvoisier.  Some had the words "Fine Champagne" on them.  I would love for someone to explain how that term relates to cognac.  I'm perplexed.

My Guide for the Perplexed:

Perhaps they wanted to come up with some type of alcohol metaphor? :laugh:

and make it appear even more spectacular than it is, bubble-wise?? :hmmm:

Reality check time click on "Quality Portfolio" ...

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Hello all.

The matter is simple. In Cognac there are six recognised sub-zones, in descending order of quality (and actually in ascending order of distance from the centre of the region too):

Grande Champagne

Petite Champagne

Borderies

Fins Bois

Bons Bois

Bois Ordinaires

Cognac blend coming from both Grande Champagne and Petite Champagne can be labeled as Fine Champagne, although it isn't a sub-region in itself.

No relationship with sparklers, then. :smile:

Alberto

Also the word "champagne" itself actually comes from the soil type called campanien. It is a chalky, fossel rich soil and both the Champagne regions of Cognac and the famous sparking wine region Champagne itself feature this type of soil and hence share the name champagne.

Thanks for giving me some clarity.

Gifted -- I actually looked at the Courvoisier site before I posted and their explanation made no sense to me.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs