• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Defunct Nightclubs

pjs

Pan's defunct restaurant thread started to drift into this area so I thought I'd start a new one. I can think of a couple or so.

Cafe Wha

The first place that served me alcohol without question. I think I was 15 years-old at the time. The drinks sucked and so did the entertainment. Someone outside the club tried to sell me some catnip and readily admitted it was such.

Max's Kansas City

Highlight: Gram and Emmylou.

Lowlight: The Miss Edie Tour. So low it was good, like most of Water's stuff at the time. Miss Edie's MC, Gina S., went on to fame and fortune drummin' with the GoGo's.

The Bottom Line

Their closing really sucks. Notable memories include Chet Atkins and Les Paul, doing the "Chester and Lester" tour.

Also fondly remembered was one of the last US performances of the original Hollies. Notable because their harmonies were exquisite and a fist-fight didn't erupt on stage.

PJ

PS Never dared ordering food at any of these places.

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

J's on 97 St. and Broadway, 1 block from the apartment building I grew up in. 1 drink minimum (~$7) per set to hear some great jazz performers like Ken Peplowski on clarinet and sax and my old schoolmate Bill Charlap on piano. J said that people on the Upper West Side were too cheap and resented buying even one drink per set, that her location on the 2nd floor of a building militated against walk-ins, and that too few people went there for dinner (truth be told, I had dinner chez les parents first and then went to J's for drinks and jazz).

Michael aka "Pan"

TWILO... 530 W 27th St, 1994-2000

A mecca for dance music, voyeurism, and perfect sound.

-mjr

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

Max's Kansas City

Highlight: Gram and Emmylou.

Green with envy. Just green. :wink:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

The Half Note, of distant memory (early 1970s).

Yeah, Bottom Line: Olu Dara, recently.

Lush Life: great sight lines and a big stage, as well as decent food

Sweet Basil: co-owner Phyllis used to be a schoolteacher, IIRC, and she would make sure everyone got and stayed quiet during the music.

Yeah, Bottom Line: Olu Dara, recently.

I saw Olu Dara last week-twice. :smile:

Extremely nice guy. Charming as a matter of fact. He actually had a memory of something that happened at one of his shows almost three years ago.

He blew the roof off of the tent during his show at the Fairgrounds.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

There are so many--I don't even think restaurants are quite so ephemeral as nightclubs. A couple I recall with special fondness, mostly from the early '80s:

Tramps, when it was off of Union Square, for it's being a great bar where you could hear great bar music--Screamin' Jay Hawkins, like that.

Club 57, on St. Mark's Place, for its pateneted version of punk-rock, junkie vaudeville.

The Mudd Club. Great location, down on White St., and all kinds of fashionably weird music.

Lauterbach's in Brooklyn. Like being in a roadhouse in the middle of Missouri, yet close to the R train.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

Twillo and the Paladium were both amazing clubs. To those I would like to add The Shelter. It was called Arc in it's last incarnation before it closed. It is where the NASA parties began. 6 Hubert street at hudson.

The Garage - quite literally, a garage (actually an old gas station). bands would set up in the area where you'd have the cars on the lifts, and they'd sell beer out of a tub in the "office" part. somewhere in the east village. i have no idea where, and i haven't been able to locate the spot where it once was since i went there 15 years ago or so (my NYC geography wasn't so hot back then). i have a feeling it's now a parking lot.

Mother in the meatpacking district,,,,,, i believe it was on west 14th ,, they had tons of diffent nights,,,,,,,,, including Jackie 60 which was supposedly a blast though i never go to go to that one,,,,,, they lost their lease the summer of 2000,,,,,, imagine that, i think theres some store there now, bummer.

Tunnel had its moments too,,,,,,,

"Is there anything here that wasn't brutally slaughtered" Lisa Simpson at a BBQ

"I think that the veal might have died from lonliness"

Homer

Tunnel had its moments too,,,,,,,

Yes it most certainly did.

when i first moved here 6 yrs ago, my first NY New Years eve was spent there, it was totally insane but very fun-the place was huge and and maze like and the bathrooms were strangely coed and you had to pass the guys at the urinals to get to the stalls,,,,,,,,,

ironically, i ve only spent 2 ny eves in the city since then!

Homer

It was really a bar rather than a nightclub, but I really miss the St. Mark's Bar, whose space is now occupied by Tribe. I played there the last night they had music. I used to love their Sunday night open post-bop jams.

I also enjoyed the blues open jams at Finian's Rainbow on St. Mark's between 2nd and 3rd, which is now - I just can't remember what it's called now, but unlike the St. Mark's Bar, it was never closed or remodeled, so I'm just missing the music there.

Michael aka "Pan"

I went to one very fun show at Coney Island High when I was 20 and had great memories. I think that I went into shock when I saw what they were building there on St. Marks.

Homer

No more Be Yourself nights anymore--it's really, really sad. :sad:

My

They'll be more....probably after the summer. He'll wind up with a weekly thing after traveling the world for a bit.

My favorite defunct places.....Twilo (on saturday), Vinyl, Sound Factory (the original), Centro-Fly (just closed), and Ohm (now Called DEEP....wierd space, but always had fun there).

Oh, and I went to the Funhouse when I was 10.....does that count?

Smalls, the dear departed jazz club on W. 10th Street in the West Village.

A little basement space. Rarely if ever did they attract the big names, but for a couple of years it was *the* place to hear up-and-coming young jazz players in the City, who would often show up and jam after their gigs. For a $10 cover you could stay 'til dawn and the non-alcoholic drinks (no liquor license) were free. The best nightlife value in NYC, hands down.

enrevanche <http://enrevanche.blogspot.com>

Greenwich Village, NYC

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.

- Mark Twain