• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle Suggestion

hey folks

i'm going to be in Seattle (for the first time) next week and would love any and all suggestions.

i won't have a car and will be staying (and "working") on Broadway (Madison to Olive basically).

i'm set for coffee, but would love to hear opinions on breakfast and lunch places in the area as well as dinner spots (both in the area and the top, 'must hit' places outside the area).

to be specific... i'd love to hear about breakfast places and bakeries convenient to that area. i'd love to hear about any and all suggested lunch places in that area. i'd love to hear about good places to eat (cheap or not, i just want tasty food) in that area. and i'd love your suggestions for that one "special" meal that you simply have to have in Seattle.

final catch... unless some of y'all want to join me these will be meals for one. so, while i'm not ashamed - they need to be places where this is appropriate (and bar menus, etc are ideal as a result).

finally... any suggestions on wine bars and/or wine shops would be much appreciated.

thanks

-c

fanatic...

You can get good coffees, desserts, and casual lunches and dinners (and weekend breakfasts) at B&O Espresso at Belmont & Olive. Great atmosphere.

For a fabulous dinner go to Lark, at 12th & Madison, a few blocks east of Broadway. The place has been well-documented on this board.

checking on the following...

any "no! don't got there!" thoughts on the following suggestions:

Rovers, Lark, Salumi, SCCC, Harvest Vine, Mistral, Union, Le Pichet

any suggestions for lunch places on or near Broadway would be really appreciated...

fanatic...

When I was in Seattle I had a very good time at one of Tom Douglas' restaurants, the Dahlia Lounge. Here's a link to his website:

Tom Douglas Restaurants

The service was excellent, the food was good (we choose primarily seafood selections) and Tom himself was table hopping around.

My friends and I enjoyed it.

Have a great time. Seattle is a great city.

Stephanie Kay

For lunch or dinner, Osteria La Spiga at Broadway and Union offers excellent rustic Italian. Their crescione sandwiches, soups and pastas are particularly good. They've been discussed extensively here: search results.

Lark is a great recommendation for a great dinner.

It's gotten mixed reviews here, but I really like Crave on 12th (a couple blocks east of Broadway) for all three meals of the day....

Here's a link to a recent thread of suggestions, many of which are in the general area that you're interested in.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

malachi -

if the weather is nice - you're not a long walk downtown from broadway. i highly recommend a visit to Pike Place Market - Chez Shea and Matt's In The Market (across the hall from each other) both have bars where lone diners eat all the time - and they're excellent. the Alibi Room is a good spot for a drink afterward. if you happen to be going stir crazy during the day - the market has a plethora of great cheap eats options (sandwich and homemade soup from Three Girls, piroshkys, fish and chips...homemade sausages, etc)

Lark (mentioned above) is a quick walk from broadway and wonderful place. they don't take reservations, and eating alone might be a slight challenge as the tiny bar is also the waiting area - i suggest eating early. i haven't been to Union, but my dinner at lark was the single best meal i've had in seattle all year.

enjoy your visit and let us know what you've discovered!

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Don't forget the free bus zone in the downtown area.

We have a whole thread on eating at Salumi! Definitely a unique experience but not much room there. Similar to Matt's in the Market.

edited because I just noticed you'll be up on Broadway so alittle out of free bus range. Duh. :unsure:

Edited by sequim (log)

Brilliant.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm hoping to hit at least some of these - and will (of course) post reviews.

I'll also post reviews of the coffee (grin).

Again - thanks. And any more suggestions would be lovely of course.

fanatic...

Great suggestions all. I would especially third the Osteria La Spiga recommendation. Corner of Broadway and Union. And since no one is really throwing out breakfast suggestions, I'll recommend the Coastal Kitchen, on 15th, a few blocks east of Broadway.

broadway is generally lacking for yummies but, don't despair, you can find a good meal on the main drag. than bros. pho is delicious, cheap , and dining alone is comfy. plus, the cream puffs are divine (get 3 to go for $1 for a snack later). aoki (621 broadway) is my fave spot for sushi on the hill and they frequently have good lunch deals. you would be remiss to not have a dick's deluxe & fries while in seattle - it's an institution. machiavelli is a good neighborhood italian joint down pine st. toward downtown. you really should head up to 15th for breakfast: the coastal kitchen is consistently good and their bloody marys are delicious. try to hit kingfish on 19th for either lunch or dinner, their food is good for your soul and you will thank the heavens if strawberry shortcake is in season.

i am brand new to this board so forgive me if all these places have been covered in other threads.

- lemony

A co-worker once told me she liked the Hotel Monaco (Sazerac) for breakfast - I felt like I could trust her review of it as she was a foodie hedonist. Nice surroundings and they really take care of you as a single diner. But haven't gone myself. 1101 4th Avenue.

I definately second Reesek's recc for the Pike Place Market. Be aware that the Market proper (shops, vendors) closes at 6:00, but the restaurants remain open for evening dining. If you can get down there during the day (before 10:00, preferably), it's a real slice of Seattle. You could breakfast at the Athenean (food so-so, but high in historic value, or at Lowell's. Etta's serves a very good breakfast on weekends. If you don't want to walk, there are plenty of busses that will take you downtown, close to the Market.

Edited by lala (log)

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

checking on the following...

any "no! don't got there!" thoughts on the following suggestions:

Rovers, Lark, Salumi, SCCC, Harvest Vine, Mistral, Union, Le Pichet

any suggestions for lunch places on or near Broadway would be really appreciated...

none of these are a 'don't go there'. I'd also add Matt's in the Market, and Cafe Campagne. Let me emphasize that: do NOT miss Pike Place Market.

Born Free, Now Expensive

sadly, i don't know if i'll be able to make it to the market as i'll be busy from 9-5 each day (with a short lunch break). sigh...

fanatic...

those restaurants are open at night too! and you're here in the perfect season to watch the sun set over the market.

you can take a $6 cab ride or a 20 minute walk...it's been nice here lately and not dark until 8 or later.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

I'll second Malarkey's recommendations of Cafe Campagne and Matt's in the Market. I had great lunches at both of them last month. I also had a wonderful lunch at Le Pichet. I'm still dreaming about their baked ham and eggs dish!

la spiga is right where you'll be, but it's closed monday and tuesday.

are you staying in the new silver cloud? someone mentioned that the hotel restaurant (cayenne?) might be interesting, has anyone tried it

sazerac would be far for breakfast from there.

if you work 9-5, try and get out early/come in late/take a long luch one day to see the market.

someone mentioned that the hotel restaurant (cayenne?)

I've eaten there a few times. My post about it here. Nothing wrong with the place, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

than bros. pho is delicious, cheap , and dining alone is comfy.  plus, the cream puffs are divine

I agree with lemony that Than Bros at the north end of Broadway near Roy is an incredible deal, although pho is best on a cold rainy day. Maybe you'll be lucky, and get one of those in Seattle during your visit!

Has anyone been to Crave on 12th? I haven't yet, but my cousin says it's a good breakfast/lunch place. They have several wines by the glass and it's in malachi's neighborhood.

For breakfast on Capitol Hill, try El Greco on Broadway and Glo's (go early) on Olive Way.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

The Silver Cloud is almost right next to The Garage, a very fun and friendly bar (and I oughta know) where you can shoot pool or bowl. Their food is decent too.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

For a quick decent lunch, I like Philadelphia Fevre (on Madison just east of 23rd). They have great cheese steak sandwiches. I also love their onion rings.

Pallinos (on Madison about two blocks west of your hotel) has fairly decent panini sandwiches, soups and pasta - very fast sit down service at lunch.

Also, 2 blocks north of the hotel is one of our local chain grocery stores, QFC. They have a deli dept where you can get a quick sandwich or a grilled panini. They also have some ready to go meal options and soup.

If you like beer, the Elysian is only a few blocks away and serves decent pub food. The Deluxe on Broadway is a great place for burgers or try their enormous baked potatoes.

For dinner, there are two other places just a quick bus ride east down Madison:

1) Harvest Vine - has a bar where one can eat solo - food is fabulous.

2) Cactus - authentic Southwestern / Mexican food. Very good.

Good luck and happy eating!

"Unleash the sheep!" mamster