• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TdeV

TdeV

Clarity

4 hours ago, TdeV said:

The mushrooms in my fridge do A LOT BETTER inside a paper bag than wrapped in cling plastic.

Actually, I could restate this. Mushrooms in machine-sealed plastic bag from the Chinese market, last just fine over one week. Mushrooms in styrofoam from any of the huge grocery stores, might get mouldy in a week; will definitely get mouldy a few days later. Mushrooms in a plastic bag from the vegetable section of the grocery story will definitely get slimy within a week.

Mushrooms from the grower in a holey plastic container inside a paper bag will last well over two weeks. Eventually, they will get a little dry (chewy) but no mould. I don't know how much this increased storage life has to do with the total storage time (i.e. the other mushrooms may have been shipped long distance before hanging out in my fridge, which would shorten their viability in my fridge).

This is true of strawberries also.

TdeV

TdeV

4 hours ago, TdeV said:

The mushrooms in my fridge do A LOT BETTER inside a paper bag than wrapped in cling plastic.

Actually, I could restate this. Mushrooms in machine-sealed plastic bag from the Chinese market, last just fine over one week. Mushrooms in styrofoam from any of the huge grocery stores, might get mouldy in a week; will definitely get mouldy a few days later. Mushrooms in a plastic bag from the vegetable section of the grocery story will definitely get slimy within a week.

Mushrooms from the grower in a holey plastic container inside a paper bag will last well over two weeks. Eventually, they will get a little dry (chewy) but no mould. I don't know how much this increased storage life has to do with the total storage time (i.e. the other mushrooms may have been shipped long distance before hanging out in my fridge, which would shorten their viability in my fridge).