• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deep-fried Nirvana

katzenjammy

You could always expand on fried mozerella cheese sticks with other types of cheese.

Why not fried battered chunks of parmesan? Or Roquefort, Camembert, Gorgonzola, balls of Mascarpone or cream cheese, Gruyere, Roubochon, or any other cheeses you fancy?

Deep fried turnip slices are quite good.

Also try onion rings battered in crushed up pork rinds instead of bread crumbs, gives it a nice hint of bacony flavor.

Slices of pepperoni turn wonderfully crunchy and yummy when deep fried.

Kale also gets quite crunchy, and is tasty deep fried till crisp then lightly salted and vinegared.

I really want to try to toss a lobster into a deep fryer now....

But really, if you can deep fry a soft shell crab, whynot a lobster?

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

But really, if you can deep fry a soft shell crab, whynot a lobster?

I don't know if this is really true but I am just going on "scientific" deduction. There are many stories of lobsters "screaming" while being steamed. This is said to be due to steam escaping from small breaches in the connective tissue between the segments and such. Now, if I take that scenario to a quick dip in 375F oil, that means that the same steam will be produced very rapidly. A KABOOM may be a distinct possibility. I am not sure about this. It just seems logical. A soft shell crab doesn't have the firm exoskeleton to form a potential steam bomb.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Hmmm, so maybe you would need to first perforate your lobster? I imagine a live lobster, quickly bludgeoned with a plank which has four or five sharp nails sticking out of it, and then immediately tossed into near boiling oil could at the same time be a wonderful form of stress relief, graphically entertaining, and quite tasty.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Hmmm... That technique has possibilities.

Has anyone ever tried frying a lobster?

We need a reality check here.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

hot oil, keg beer and a pantry full of food. Why didn't I think of this in college. What a great idea for a party. And when the cops show up to bust it, they get fresh made donuts!!!! :laugh:

Patrick Sheerin

This brings up an interesting question:

Has anyone ever had a softshell lobster and also is there any farming of these seemingly potentially delicious crustaceans?

I mean, they are after all, crustaceans. I suppose that they do lose their shells occasionally and it would seem that they could be tanks like buster crabs and held till they molt. On the other hand, I am not a biologist and have no idea if this is a practical possibility or not, but the thought of softshell lobsters sends my culinary mind reeling with possibilities.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I have seen photos on Discovery Channel or somesuch about the molting lobsters hiding out in their caves. All crustaceans go through a "soft shell" stage so I don't think there is any reason to think that soft shell lobsters are too improbable. I think the question is "How do you catch them in the act?"

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

It probably hasn't been investigated because molting lobsters are almost impossible to find. They hide in caves and under rocks from the time the process begins, until the shell hardens, a few hours later.

The way that soft shell crabs are identified is when busters crawl into the traps and the crab guys identify them and put them aside, They are then put into shallow tanks (which have to be checked every three hours 24 hours per day) and held until they shuck their shells.

I don't see why lobsters would not be the same situation, unless lobsters head for a hole as they innately realize that they are about to molt.

The possibility is tantalizing.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I didn't see it on your list and fifi mentioned it:

Deep Fried Turkey

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I don't see why lobsters would not be the same situation, unless lobsters head for a hole as they innately realize that they are about to molt.

I might be making an unwarranted inference, but that's what this says to me:

Molting. A lobster's hard outer shell does not grow.  Homarus can only increase its size by molting periodically.  In preparation for molting, the lobster lays down a new, soft shell underneath its old shell.  Just prior to shedding the old shell, the lobster seeks out a protected shelter - a rocky cave or crevice - because a newly molted lobster is soft and helpless, unable to move.  Then the lobster rolls over on its side, bends into a V Shape, shrinks its extremities (especially the large claws) by drawing fluids from them, and withdraws from its shell.  Over a period of several hours after molting, the lobster swells to a larger size and the shell begins to harden.

From Rhode Island Sea Grant web page.

But dude, if you want to go diving in the frigid Atlantic, lookin' under rocks fer nekkid lobsters, be my guest. I'll be back on shore with a pile of breadcrumbs and a pot of hot oil.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

umm .. didn't see it on your list already - and the season may be wrong, but for future reference - deep fried oysters (out of the shell obviously) are just delicious! I love them even though am not a huge fan of oysters au naturel ... weird I know. and if you want to continue on an oriental theme - deep fried short ribs or pork or chicken strips in a light fluffy egg batter could be really good with some home made sweet and sour sauce.

Think someone has mentioned samosas already - but of course there are bhajis and pakoras too if you like .... try onion, eggplant or mushroom ... or a mixture!

you mentioned snickers were not so good, but I have heard good reports for mars bars and bounty bars (coconut inside) - assuming you can get them in the States.

and would you be prepared to experiment with marshmallows? or would they melt too quickly?

and pineapple (tinned - don't waste teh fresh stuff) is good fried - with caramel and sesame seeds also.

I also have a terrible weakness for scotch eggs .... but accept that makes me a bit of a freak.

Happy frying!

I'm surprised Mayhaw Man didn't suggest fried okra. Cut into 1/2" slices, dip in eggwash, then breadcrumbs, then chunk them in the oil. Fry till you think the stuff might taste better.

The deep fried twinkies can be done with the same kind of batter you would use for fish and chips. Then you can do fish and chips.

Breaded shrimp or crawfish tails make some mighty fine eating. And some people have had luck with frying preboiled pasta. I think there might be a texture issue there, but why not try it.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Can you deep fry a whole, live lobster? No, I'm not trying to be sick here, but if we can boil 'em, what's wrong with deep frying one? Just curious.

So funny... I have a friend who is an actor and for Thanksgiving last year, performed a skit on Reno radio about doing exactly that.

He created the character, "Chef Pooch" visiting from Boston saying that while the rest of America was deep-frying turkeys, he created the original deep-fried lobster. They had people calling in, horrorfied at the prospect that it wasn't a joke. Very, very hilarious.

The utimate in extravagance:

Panko-crusted, deep-fried Foie Gras.

Crusty, crunchy exterior - absolutely motlen interior. How could it get more decadent than that???

<gee... I think I mentioned a similar thing on the Food Festivals thread....>

It probably hasn't been investigated because molting lobsters are almost impossible to find. They hide in caves and under rocks from the time the process begins, until the shell hardens, a few hours later.

The way that soft shell crabs are identified is when busters crawl into the traps and the crab guys identify them and put them aside, They are then put into shallow tanks (which have to be checked every three hours 24 hours per day) and held until they shuck their shells.

I'm positive I remember reading somewhere (maybe Marc Bittman?) that lobsters do of course go through a soft-shell stage, but that the flesh of a molting lobster is watery and unpalatable.

The question certainly bears investigation, though.

This article is from the Dallas Morning News (3-5-2003). They tested different foods: Fried Everything

And this website is all about deep frying and has a list of international fried dishes: Joan's Fried Foods Primer

Your deep-fried party sounds like a blast.

I tried a fried Twinkie at the Texas state fair in the fall of 2002. It was served dusted with powdered sugar and with a (pretty good-especially for a fair) raspberry sauce. It was good. In fact, I thought that a fancy restaurant could get away with serving it with the addition of a scoop of good home-made ice cream. And another name, of course!

I have a "hardware" question. Exactly what kind of equipment are you using? Can you rent the fryer set-ups? I mean, we do fried turkeys with a big pot on a big propane burner. But, I am thinking that a party like this would need two fry pots, one for sweet and one for savory.

(Can you guess that I am starting to plan a fry party? :biggrin: )

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

(Can you guess that I am starting to plan a fry party? :biggrin: )

Just invite someone who has a nice propane burner and a full tank. When they RSVP and ask if there is anything they can bring, start your reply with "Well, let's see, now that you mention it..."

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Panko-crusted, deep-fried Foie Gras.

If you could get it to fry without totally melting, now, that probably wouldn't suck. Swizzle of sweet chili sauce sounds like the right condiment to me. Ohmy.