• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

We are planning a trip to Aruba this summer and would love to get some feed back on places to eat.

Help!

We ate at the Italian place on the Tierra Del Sol course, it had a wonderfull view of the blue ocean and some pretty good food to boot...I also heard "the flame" is a pretty nice place!

Bon Bini!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Steak -- El Gaucho, in downtown. Sort of casual atmosphere, but great steaks.

Or if you want a variety of meat and want to feel unbelievably full, Amazonia (right across from the Hyatt). It's an all-you-can-eat churascuria (sp??). The waiters walk around with different types of meat on a spit and you have a little "on/off" piece of wood to signal that you don't want more!! There's a "side dish" buffet with rices, potato, salad, etc.

We had great seafood all over the island. We also like Papiamiento. It's a house turned restaurant, with dining around an old swimming pool that looks like a pond. Nice vibe, good seafood cooked on hot stones and a wonderful breeze in the evenings.

On a casual note, Iguana Joe's in downtown had decent pub fare & drinks -- burgers, chicken sandwiches, etc.

Was just there in March. Great restaurants!

Seafood. Aqua Grill- a bit expensive but worth every penny. We dropped $200 for two people and that included tip and a $80 bottle of champagne and two cocktails.

Steak, El Gaucho Go for the special bone in rib eye. The steaks are huge and all Argentinian beef. Fun place, loud and FANTASTIC sangria!

Sushi, Japengo at the Hyatt. Creative, very fresh fish, unique specials and great sake. Some of the best hamachi I EVER had.

Caribbean,French, Madame Jeanette Easilly the best of the bunch. All atmosphere here, very romantic and very reasonable prices. Big portions and very well prepared food. I had Lobster Thermidor and couldn't finish it. Make reservations as soon as you get to the island since they book up unbelieveably fast, and for good reason.

Ruinas del Mar again at the Hyatt. Sit outside on the veranda overlooking the waterfalls and black swans. VERY romantic and very good food. More continental than anything. Great seafood specials.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Oh I forgot, for Italian food you can't beat Valentino's

I'm use to very good home Italian cooking. This place comes very close. Excellent pastas which are home made and very light. The gnocci melted in my mouth and wasn't a bit "heavy" Wandering accordian player with Italian love songs. Great Zabaglione for dessert!

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I am going to Aruba with friends at the end of the month for 8 days. Has anyone been recently & can recommend some good places to eat? We already have reservations at madame Janette's and El Gaucho. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

"Whenever someone asks me if I want water with my Scotch, I say, 'I'm thirsty, not dirty' ". Joe E. Lewis

• 4 weeks later...

I'd love to hear about your experience at El Gaucho....it's almost definitely part of the El Gaucho chain here in Holland, which is made up of tourist-targeted restaurants for the "palate that needs comforting" (my tagline, not theirs). For some reason Argentinian-style steakhouses are piled up in every single tourist area of town and nowhere else.

Anyway, I'm curious because of all the recommendations on this thread....is this a souped-up El Gaucho for Arubans, or is it another tourist restaurant?

thx

mark