• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

next colorado gathering?

Ahh, gosh folks, I'm touched. Not to make waves, but if it works for others, the 17th works for us, as does the 24th of July.

We were at Dalat tonight--I wonder if they could get creative with seating, like pushing 4 tables together into a large square with 3 people seated on each of the 4 sides? And then do 2 of those?

We usually grill hamburgers and bratwurst at the picnic, pretty simple. Last year we grilled marinated skirt steak with flour tortillas, salsa, guacamole to make tacos de carne asada. We might do a combo of the 2 this year; about half of our employees are of mexican descent and half norte americanos.

Edited to add that over dinner my wife informed me that she had no problem making Dalat on the 10th--she would just as soon skip the picnic and dine with egullet. That's loyalty for ya, huh!

Edited by fredbram (log)

Fred Bramhall

A professor is one who talk's in someone else's sleep

Any date in July works for us. Agree that it would be good to push it back so Fred can join.

Katzenjammy, Spouse, and Reproductive Success Unit would like to come...
...the group I was with had major issues with the whole "Bambi" thing...

You guys are cracking me up! :biggrin:

“When I was dating and the wine list was presented to my male companion, I tried to ignore this unfortunate faux pas. But this practice still goes on…Closing note to all servers and sommeliers: please include women in wine selection. Okay?”--Alpana Singh, M.S.-"Alpana Pours"

Like Katzenjammy said, our schedule is extremely fluid right now...we are building a new house that is scheduled to be done around that time, so our attendance will depend on what's going on with that, but we'd love to come along if possible...the whole arrangement sounds good to me.

Brian Hoffmeyer

"It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black."

Geez Louise, I'm off getting Philly recommendations for this past weekend and there is mutiny in my absence! OK, July 24 at 7 at Dalat. Since we all love Fred and Fred loves Dalat, I nominate Fred to speak with the folks at Dalat once we have a head count to try and negotiate an amicable (and amiable) table configuration and determining if they will accomodate BYOB? I will remain responsible for a) reminders and b) gathering our total head count figure.

Fair enuf?

Edited by AmyH (log)

Geez Louise, I'm off getting Philly recommendations for this past weekend and there is mutiny in my absence! OK, July 24 at 7 at Dalat. Since we all love Fred and Fred loves Dalat, I nominate Fred to speak with the folks at Dalat once we have a head count to try and negotiate an amicable (and amiable) table configuration and determining if they will accomodate BYOB? I will remain responsible for a) reminders and b) gathering our total head count figure.

Fair enuf?

Sounds like a plan to me, as long as you still bring the egg timer.

Edited by afoodnut (log)

I nominate Fred to speak with the folks at Dalat once we have a head count to try and negotiate an amicable (and amiable) table configuration and determining if they will accomodate BYOB?

Actually, they have a liquor license, and Colorado is one of those stupid states where you cannot (legally, anyway) bring your own libations into a restaurant.

-Midson-

A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart, who looks at her watch

-James Beard-

I nominate Fred to speak with the folks at Dalat once we have a head count to try and negotiate an amicable (and amiable) table configuration and determining if they will accomodate BYOB?

Actually, they have a liquor license, and Colorado is one of those stupid states where you cannot (legally, anyway) bring your own libations into a restaurant.

They have some godawful wine that they've been trying to use up for years also. And I know that I should be probably be drinking beer with their food not wine, but I'm just not a beer drinker, so sue me.

Oh, that's right, a couple of you are lawyers so you could sue me.

I would be happy to work on table arrangement with them, and see if there is something that we can do other than one long rectangle.

Thank you for making the effort to include me--that's really nice.

Have you been to Philly already Amy, or are you just gathering rec's?

Fred Bramhall

Fred-

Was in Philly last weekend but only time for one meal and was limited by geography, price and aging parents. We wound up at Trattoria PrimaDonna at 15th and Spruce, very good home cooked Italian, but there were so many places that I wanted to try!

I will bring the egg timer.

By the way, I will be out of town in a couple of days--back June 21, so I won't be communicating much, if any.

Fred Bramhall

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sooo... it is maybe time to get a head count going for Dalat on the 24th of July. We will be 2 people. Stand up and be counted please.

Fred Bramhall

I'll definitely be there, but don't know yet if I'll be alone or with one or two more.

Mongo and his wife will be there, possibly with a couple of mongo's colleagues, if that's okay with the group. What say group?

BTW Fred congrats on 5280's best chocolate chip cookie award in the Top Of the Town issue.

Congratulations Fred.

Thanks for posting this colestove. I hadn't heard about it.

We're in for three.

Any friend of Mongo's is . . . probably an interesting dining companion. Bring 'em on!

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain

Of course we would welcome Mongo, the formerly evil Mrs. Jones and their colleagues.

The cookie accolade was nice--except that they gave our address, which means the occasional poor soul turns up at the door of our wholesale bakery looking for cookies--which we don't usually have available and aren't set up to sell.

Fred Bramhall

Put me down for two for the Dalat dinner.

Yes, congrats to Fred! Where can we get these magical cookies @ retail?

Colestove, when are you going to post about your New Mexico trip?

“When I was dating and the wine list was presented to my male companion, I tried to ignore this unfortunate faux pas. But this practice still goes on…Closing note to all servers and sommeliers: please include women in wine selection. Okay?”--Alpana Singh, M.S.-"Alpana Pours"

The trip was actually to Phoenix and we were only in New Mexico 2 nights. The meal we had the first night proved to us that New Mexico style cooking is way too hot for my wife and I's spice challenged palates. It was good but we had to have the chili on the side so I can't give you any meaningfull comments on how "good" it really was. The meal we had on the way back was Fathers Day night and we wound up with a decent rib eye steak at Texas Land and Cattle Co. They closed here in Denver some time ago and we like there steaks better than Outback and we were both tired from the heat and travel, so we settled for that. The meal highlight of the trip was lunch at Capitol (sp) Grill in Phoenix. I echo your comments about the one in Denver. Very good food and service. My wife had the lobster salad, I had the crab and lobster "burger", which I ate with out the bun, and my brother had the filet caeser salad. We got a tour of the restaurant after and I would be happy to trade my income for the forseeable future fot the money they have in prime beef in their walkin and the wines in their "cellar". The rest of the trip was takeout pizza, and chain city tto suit my 89 year old mother. Thanks for asking.

colestove

wound up with a decent rib eye steak at Texas Land and Cattle Co

I used to live near one of these in Austin and still get inhuman cravings for their deep fried pickles (of all things). Why did the CO location close?

Thanks for the report. Glad you liked Cap. Grille.

There was a story awhile back in the Nationl Restaurant News the original co. expanded too fast had money and mgmt. problems and closed some stores because of those problems. The last story I saw said they are in some form of reorginaztion process and the parent of Del Frisco, Lonestar etc is trying to buy them. More info as I become aware of it.

colestove

Amy, are you back in town? I didn't mean to usurp your authority as official head counter for this gig. Jump in and start bugging people--it's all yours. I am hoping to go out to Dalat this week some time to look at and talk to them about table arrangement. Are we thinking about planning a menu ahead, or should I check to see if they would prefer that we do that? Any thoughts from any one on this?

Fred Bramhall

I am just now back, but underwater at work. Fred, if you can continue to keep the total numbers, I would be grateful. We are in for two. I believe that we decided that we would not order in advance this time but would wait and order as a group with the more experienced diners taking the lead at guiding us through an appropriate array of dishes. We also agreed that barring unforseen extravagances by any particular indvidual or group, we would evenly split the check, even if we order tripe as a dish and not all of us eat it (spoken like a true lawyer, I know).

edited to include the following:

Fred, you were going to check and see if they could do a better seating arrangment and I was going to bring my egg timer. So far, we have:

mongo 2

peppered 2

katzenjammy 3

colestove 2

amyh 2

rlm 2

fredbram 2

Did I miss anyone?

I will try posting little bits and pieces of my trip on various message Boards . . the filles and I covered 5,000 miles, crossed through 19 states in three weeks. I think dining highlights were in DC (already posted), a great place in Camden Maine (based on egullet recs Cafe Miranda) and two fine dinners in Chicago (Feast and BlackBird).

Last night, Mr.H and I had a date at the Kitchen in Boulder and, although like Sally Field, I really wanted to like it, we just thought that it was very plain. We ordered apps only but I felt like I was at a picnic with takeout from Whole Foods.

Edited by AmyH (log)