• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

GITS - Gulab Jamun

Here are my 2 cents:

GITS

Step 1: Make the dough

i6506.jpg

Step 2 --roll into balls

i6507.jpg

step 3: deep fry on a low flame

i6508.jpg

step 4: drain

i6511.jpg

step 5: Soak in sugar syrup ( which I forgot to take a picture of as I was making it :wacko: )

i6512.jpg

Step 6:

Eat.. enjoy.. love life and be happy

step 7: Find Deliad and feed him all this so I am not alone in gaining 10 pounds

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

BTW, should I chastise you for wearing finger-nail polish??? I big no-no in kitchens, you know!  :raz:

as you know I am not a professional chef and dont have to "work" in a kitchen. i only cook in my own kitchen for family and occasionally for courses I teach :biggrin:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

BTW, should I chastise you for wearing finger-nail polish??? I big no-no in kitchens, you know!   :raz:

as you know I am not a professional chef and dont have to "work" in a kitchen. i only cook in my own kitchen for family and occasionally for courses I teach :biggrin:

Actually, that remark came from my Green Envy Monster. As a jeweler and affirmed nail-biter, I could never hope to have such perfectly lovely nails...

traditionally women in india have grown long nails, and sharpened them, to slice garlic in a particular way.

yes that is exactly why I have long nails... to cut garlic with ... yep exactly right... and while I am at it I also use it to extract that last bit of peanut butter out of the jar

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

i wonder how the gits brand does in england. would be like an english company selling "ch..iya" brand jams and jellies in india.

I've also wondered the same thing, trust the good Doctor to know all such gutterspeak.

It was the same word that spawned the restaurant Cinnamon Club. :smile:

Google for the two words and you'll get it.

Google for my name and the restaurant and you get a pigeon recipe. :smile:

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

Ammini - I have recently tried GITs. I rarely make them... when I did it was with powdered milk and all purpose flour.. and cream to knead instead of milk. It works great but is loaded with calories.

this one i could not resist.. what can I say.. its been a HARD week

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

step 7: Find Deliad and feed him all this so I am not alone in gaining 10 pounds

Any takers!!!! (to feed me) :rolleyes:

If my plan works correctly, I will not be gaining any weight by eating these. This weekend, we will try to make these using Splenda or Stevia or something like that.

Gotta watch my blood sugars!!

Cheers,

My local grocer just started carrying blocks of khoya. Store bought khoya/paneer won't be quite as easy as a mix, but I think the end result might be superior.

Now making these things low carb, that's a whole different ball game. The syrup should be easy but the flour? And the khoya? Yikes!

yes that is exactly why I have long nails... to cut garlic with ... yep exactly right... and while I am at it I also use it to extract that last bit of peanut butter out of the jar

Mental note: Politely decline Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches @ Monica's house :laugh: