• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

More places to eat in Mumbai

Monica Bhide

:smile: Anil, I am headed to Bombay in a few weeks, any places you would recommend that I try.. I love the secret hole in the wall places that no one knows about

Monica: When I left for "vilaate", I called it Bombay - There was a song "Bom Bom Bom, Bombay meri hai....", In mumbai, check/ask around - I'll probably make my pilgrimage in 'Feb 03. Good food in Mumbai tends to be in clubs/Gymkhanas - Juhu/CCI/BreachCandy/..... But then this is my humble opinion.

In my younger days, at Juhu Beach, there were only three portable Bhel-puri-walas... And I can go on an on about us being the only other punjs in Juhu apart from DevAnand -- :cool:

Edited by anil (log)

anil

:smile: Anil, I am headed to Bombay in a few weeks, any places you would recommend that I try.. I love the secret hole in the wall places that no one knows about

Monica: When I left for "vilaate", I called it Bombay - There was a song "Bom Bom Bom, Bombay meri hai....", In mumbai, check/ask around - I'll probably make my pilgrimage in 'Feb 03. Good food in Mumbai tends to be in clubs/Gymkhanas - Juhu/CCI/BreachCandy/..... But then this is my humble opinion.

In my younger days, at Juhu Beach, there were only three portable Bhel-puri-walas... And I can go on an on about us being the only other punjs in Juhu apart from DevAnand -- :cool:

Thanks foryour note and PM. I am actually panju too and my hubby is Maharastrian, so we will check out the local joints you suggested, I have been enjoying your other posts on your trip.., if a specific place pops into your mind, do let me know

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Chinese in Mumbai: Of late (past few years) my trips to IN follow my trips to SIN/HKG and vice-versa, so I am reluctant to waste the little precious time eating in places that I have no desire. I miss Parsi food, so I load up on that - I go upto Crawford Market for my Bheja fry and briyani ....

I have scouts making list of new places of repute so that when I come, we go and splurge.....

anil

Thanks Anil. I have never lived in Bombay (lived in india for a total of only 5 or 6 years), so each time I go, I am like a kid in a candy store, so much to explore and try and it never ends!

I will try the Parsi food, someone mentioned to me Mahesh Fish House -- is that good?

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

I will try the Parsi food, someone mentioned to me Mahesh Fish House -- is that good?

Mahesh is good. Then there is also Trishna and Sheetal for sea food. Try each. And keep notes for us and post upon your return. :wink:

For Parsee food try CCI Club and also Ratan Tata Institute. If you have friends and family that have Parsee friends, try and get yourself invited for a meal. A wonderful experience. A Sunday meal can be most amazing.

Go to Khyber if only to see it.

Go to the Thai restaurant at the President Hotel in Cuffe Parade. It used to be amazing. I am sure it still is at least to experience some amazing stuff in its setting and also to watch the carving of vegetables and fruit.

Go to Bachelors Ice Cream stand on Marine Drive just after the Maidan. Great Idlis with chutney and some amazing fresh fruit ice creams.

Haji Ali Juice wala for strawberry and cream and freshly squeezed juice.

Sardars in Tardeo for Pav Bhaji. The best you will get in Bombay.

Best Bus Station (the big Depot) in Colaba Causeway, late at night or rather early hours of the morning... (between 4-6 AM), you can see a Vada Pav vendor that sells the best Vada Pav in all of Bombay. He serves the drivers as they come for their early morning shift. You can request extra chutney if you like spicy.

And I shall add more as I remember them... Too many fun experiences in Bombay.. I love that city.

It's not chinese, but don't forget falooda at kailash parbhat (their street food is also top notch) especially the samosa and chola--two dishes that it is quite difficult to find properly executed in NYC restaurants

me has edited because grammar poor was

Edited by ajay (log)

It's not chinese, but don't forget falooda at kailash parbhat (they're street food is also top notch) especially the samosa and chola--two dishes that it is quite difficult to find properly executed in NYC restaurants

I am drooling already. THank you. Do you have an Indian chinese place in mind that you would recommend?

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

It's not chinese, but don't forget falooda at kailash parbhat (they're street food is also top notch) especially the samosa and chola--two dishes that it is quite difficult to find properly executed in NYC restaurants

Kailash Parbat! :wub:

Spent so many nights eating there as a student... who ate out each night... It was cheap and good.

Their Falooda is very good.

Samosas and Cholas, eat in Delhi. Bombay sucks for good execution of either.

Parsee Samosas are great in Bombay. I know when I studied at JJ School of Art, the cafeteria in the Fine Arts School had great Parsee Samosas. Worth the trip. Also the cafeteria made great Ussal Pav and Ragda.

Hey Suvir, what's a parsee samosa? how does it differ from the normal kind? Kailash parbhat is also good for the ragaro (made from peas sorry for the bad transliteration) patties. Also for Faloodah, try the badshah near Crawford market.

As for Indian chinese, aside from China garden (a must visit) I woud also recommend Kamling (near Churchgate) as another excellent choice.

Sorry, when i return to india i don't get out very often as we have lots of family who all insist we take food at their house (even though surprisngly they are not good cooks), which means that I eat better indian food here in the US than I do there. :wink:

I wish the family had some parsee friends... though next time i will insist on trying some parsi places. Where is Mahesh fish House?

I know that this has come up in other boards, but how comfortable are members in taking in meat in india? Since I grew up in the US, I feel as though my digestive system would not be able to handle Indian meat preparations because the meat is not as fresh or hygenically prepared. Am I worried about nothing? or is there a real threat here?

In fact, though my parents take in plain water in India, they did not allow me to do so when i was younger and continue to recommend that i do not. Thus, i must always take in warm sugar cane juice (it's just not the same). Moreover, nothing is more tortourous than going to a wedding or reception and being the only one who cannnot partake in the excellent looking sherbets and being forced to take in thumbs up (much better than coke !) or Goldspot (I understand they have stopped making it. A travesty to be sure).

In fact, though my parents take in plain water in India, they did not allow me to do so when i was younger and continue to recommend that i do not.  Thus, i must always take in warm sugar cane juice (it's just not the same).  Moreover, nothing is more tortourous than going to a wedding or reception and being the only one who cannnot partake in the excellent looking sherbets and being forced to take in thumbs up (much better than coke !) or Goldspot (I understand they have stopped making it.  A travesty to be sure).

Ajay you write so well. I have in my PM box only one mail saved. And it is what you had sent me many months back. About your youth and experiences.

Parsee Samosas are different in that the pastry is made with eggs and fries into a greasier pastry. Also the filling has onions in it. Slight variation but makes a great difference.

Mahesh Fish House was near Kala Ghoda.. I can walk there from Colaba where I lived... But seem to be blanking on the name of that area. It is famous... so when you are in Bombay, most anyone can take you there.

Eating meats in India is just fine. IN fact I would be more worried about eating salads and greens that are not cooked.

I only drink bottled water or sodas (without ice of course).

And I love Limca and Vimto.

Suvir,

Now that you mention Vimto, I would like your expert advice on the differences between Vimto and Kala Khata (translates roughly to black and sour). In the Gujarati town of Jamnagar, a guy named Ghanshyam sells the best Vimto, but in Mumbai, we mostly find Kala Khata, which I beleive to be inferior, but I can't quite put my finger on the differences as I almost never taste them side by side.

ps

thanks for the kind words :wub:

Suvir,

Now that you mention Vimto, I would like your expert advice on the differences between Vimto and Kala Khata (translates roughly to black and sour).  In the Gujarati town of Jamnagar, a guy named Ghanshyam sells the best Vimto, but in Mumbai, we mostly find Kala Khata, which I beleive to be inferior, but I can't quite put my finger on the differences as I almost never taste them side by side.

ps

thanks for the kind words :wub:

Kala Khatta is available in packages that can be made into this drink. Used to be a favorite of mine as a child between the ages of 11-13. I loved that. When I had it recently, I found it terrible.

Vimto was a leftover of the British Raj. It was mostly made in Soda Fountains in Clubs of the Sahibs. You can find concentrate but not easily. Mostly sold bottled as a soda.

One can find it in Brooklyn in the Middle Eastern groceries near Sahadi on Atlantic Avenue. I always come back home with several 6-Packs.

That's wierd. I've never had a version of vimto made with soda except in bottles I find here, which are good, but I feel they don't quite have what Ghanshaym offered in Jamnagar, so whenever any member of my family goes there, we get a bottle of his concentrate. Most often he sells his concentrate in the form of sherbet mixed with water, or even more commonly, as a form of snow cone known as a golo (shaved ice on a stick). when we used to visit Jamnagar, elaborate preparations had to be made for us to enjoy this treat. The night before, water had to boiled (to purify it) and then it was forzen in a steel pot (so that the resulting block of ice would be big enough for the bhayaji's machine to shave) and we would have to get up early the next morning and travel to the place where he began his run so that the ice shaver could be washed with bottled boiled water (hey you never know what they actually fill the bisleri bottles with) and we could get our treats. Such a process only occurred once or twice a trip for us, but it was always one of the highlights. :cool::smile:

Ah the memories.

Oh yeah, and as far as Kailash is cocerned, don't go upstairs for the a/c room; that's for tourists :biggrin:

How true.

And of course if you are near Kailash Parbat, then you are in Colaba Causeway. Go North towards Regal Cinema and you can try and look for Bare Mia (it used to be a street stall and now it has gotten all fancy). Excellent kababs. Gokul is a bar where you can get some great pomfret fry and also excellent saag aloo. This is opposite Bare Mia in the lane parallel to the Colaba Causeway and also parallel to the lane behind the Taj.

There used to be Frankie stall opposite the Regal Cinemas. If you like Frankies, you may want to stop by there.

The best Bhel Puri is sold by the vendor that comes to "C" Road on Marine drive between the hours of 3 and 5 PM. He stands off Marine Drive and into "C" Road. Most amazing Bhel. He is in his 60s now. And is a favorite of all the kids that live in hostels in the hood.

The best Sev Puri can be eaten at the stall of the vendor that stands on "B" Road at the same hours. He uses amazing garlic chutney for the sev puri. We would buy him out 20 minutes after finding him. I did not see him there this last trip, but one of the building security guards said he was still selling his Sev Puri.

That's wierd.  I've never had a version of vimto made with soda except in bottles I find here, which are good, but I feel they don't quite have what Ghanshaym offered in Jamnagar, so whenever any member of my family goes there, we get a bottle of his concentrate.  Most often he sells his concentrate in the form of sherbet mixed with water, or even more commonly, as a form of snow cone known as a golo (shaved ice on a stick).  when we used to visit Jamnagar, elaborate preparations had to be made for us to enjoy this treat.  The night before, water had to boiled (to purify it) and then it was forzen in a steel pot (so that the resulting block of ice would be big enough for the bhayaji's machine to shave) and we would have to get up early the next morning and travel to the place where he began his run so that the ice shaver could be washed with bottled boiled water (hey you never know what they actually fill the bisleri bottles with) and we could get our treats.  Such a process only occurred once or twice a trip for us, but it was always one of the highlights. :cool:  :smile:

Ah the memories.

How lucky you are. In all my life, I have never eaten Golas. My siblings would go against my parents advice and sneak away to enjoy them. I was always a good kid, and never ate any.

I have seen Vimto like concentrate at the Gola vendor stands, but never knew they sold it as such.

At Gymkhana Club, they would have bottled Vimto that members paying for usage of the Soda Fountain could avail of to take home. When we had parties at home, the only time we were allowed to drinks sodas, I would smile in a particular way that my mother knew she had to come back home with all my favorite sodas (Vimto, Gingerale, Ice Cream Soda, Lemon Cream, Cherry, Orange Cream and Limeade). For the others she would ask them to send crates of Club Cola (Gymkhana Clubs own version of Coke), Club Orange and Club Soda.

Those were the days.... Sadly enough, several years ago, the Club decided to close the soda fountain and replaced it with a Club Store. The new generation of Club Kids (Kids of members and their kids) had not affinity to these old Sodas. They wanted Coke and Pepsi. I cried when I was taking a friend into the Club, and after reaching the spot, where I spent several long 2- minutes watching the bottles get washed, filled with concetrate, filled with Soda and get bottled, I saw a retail outlet.

It was a tradition I remember so vividly. The chore of getting sodas from the Club for parties. All the fountain-wallas knew us kids. They knew from the number of empty crates we brought with us as to what the order would be.

And some of the fountain wallas were the same ones who had gone through this same chore with my mother as a kid.

And now, it is all Coke and Pepsi, and no such memories for those of my nephews generation. :sad:

In fact, though my parents take in plain water in India, they did not allow me to do so when i was younger and continue to recommend that i do not.  Thus, i must always take in warm sugar cane juice (it's just not the same).  Moreover, nothing is more tortourous than going to a wedding or reception and being the only one who cannnot partake in the excellent looking sherbets and being forced to take in thumbs up (much better than coke !) or Goldspot (I understand they have stopped making it.  A travesty to be sure).

A man after my own heart,I loved both Goldspot and Thumbs Up

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

... loved both Goldspot and Thumbs Up

Just around the time I was leaving the 'desh' for 'videsh' some dufus; had thrown out CocaCola and Thumbs Up was to be the answer -- When I returned a decade and plus later Coke was back :wink: I do remember Limca as truely unique, and unavailable either in BOS, or NYC

Edited by anil (log)

anil

... loved both Goldspot and Thumbs Up

Just around the time I was leaving the 'desh' for 'videsh' some dufus; had thrown out CocaCola and Thumbs Up was to be the answer -- When I returned a decade and plus later Coke was back :wink: I do remember Limca as truely unique, and unavailable either in BOS, or NYC

I had Limca at Foods of India on Lexington Avenue between 28th and 29th street a month ago.

I was in heaven. :biggrin: