• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beau Monde

Mottmott

I've been invited to dinner at Beau Monde and wonder if there's anything there that's "must try"? I'm not encouraged by finding only one noncommital reference on the eG Search.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

P.S. Mottmott, I'm just messin with ya. I don't feel like anything on Beau Monde's menu is a must-have--it's a nice place with good food. I've eaten there several times and have never been either disappointed or amazingly wowed by it. I like the bar area for an after-work drink, especially in winter.

You know, I just don't like crepes very much. Especially savory crepes: they're just too heavy and eggy for me. Nonetheless, I get dragged to Beau Monde every so often; fortunately, I like their salads, and they have a pretty good French onion soup.

Thanks gang. Must admit Beau Monde's not been on my to do list. Its near absence from this forum and a couple reviews suggested to me it might be more someone's idea of a "romantic" spot than my idea of good food. Maybe I'll see you at the next DDC.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

• 3 weeks later...

I like Beau Monde, especially when it's nice enough to sit outside. That's a must do for me.

I have found the food there to range from great to ok. The chocolate dessert crepe I shared the one time was wonderful.

Edited by Scoats (log)

• 3 years later...

I'm bringing this back up too.

I admit I like crepes. Both savoury and sweet. And this place does a good rendition thereof. Plus, it's open in the Timeslot Of Death, aka Saturday lunch. So we've been twice in the past couple of weeks.

We had assorted savoury crepes, from mushroom+andouille sausage (good) to coq au vin (yes, I know.. and indeed it was OK but nothing more). Again, it won't dazzle or amaze, but it's good for a weekend stop.

And I still like crepes.

• 2 weeks later...
I admit I like crepes. Both savoury and sweet. And this place does a good rendition thereof. Plus, it's open in the Timeslot Of Death, aka Saturday lunch. So we've been twice in the past couple of weeks.

We had assorted savoury crepes, from mushroom+andouille sausage (good) to coq au vin (yes, I know.. and indeed it was OK but nothing more). Again, it won't dazzle or amaze, but it's good for a weekend stop.

I ate there a week or two ago with a friend to try Clos Normand cider, the same afternoon that a car drove into Coquette. (Did anyone else see that, or hear about it on the news? Kind of crazy.) It was a nice day, so we ate outside.

The food was pleasant. The pate plate was pretty good, though their duck l'orange pate was a little too orange-y. I had a crepe with andouille, rattatouille, and tomato sauce; my friend had a crepe complete. I felt like their crepes were a little bit overstuffed, maybe not quite crispy or buckwheat-y enough. Nothing serious.

The most disappointing part of the meal was how mediocre Clos Normand is -- I much prefer Etienne Dupont's cider.