• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Singapore -- very best sushi?

What I got out of the long Singapore thread is Akane, in the Japanese Association Building. Is this still the best sushi in town .... (I can't find it in the phone book!) .... if not, other suggestions? We haven't had sushi in ages and one of us is a year older this wknd .... want to have an unforgettable dinner.

Answering my own question --- Akane has *got* to be the best sushi in town. If there's better I'd certainly like to know where. We had an "omakase" dinner, featuring a fair amount of sushi, sashimi, a mini nabemono, grilled or roasted fish, exquisite goma ice cream, and other sundry (but lovely) items. With 2 flasks of sake about U$220 for 2 pple. Extremely worth the splurge, and actually a bit more food than I'm normally comfortable with.

Nogawa-san is the sushi master here (33 yrs in Sing), fresh fish arrives from Japan Tue, Thu Fri and Sat. A "branch" restaurant (Nogawa Restaurant) at Le Meridien Hotel, but I for one would much rather be at Akane where Nogawa is in residence, bec. he is a genius.

Ah, Shiewie, there you are. I just sent you a PM. Yes it is a private club, and the lady answering the phone directed us to the Nogawa at the Meridien when my hub called for a reservation. But he is a very good wheedler, and told her we'd heard so much about their food, and she relented.

I wouldn't just show up without trying to arrange beforehand though.

I was told about Akane by one of their staff. She knew me as a regular at Nogawa at Ngee Ann City (now closed) and when she met me again at Nogawa Meridien she introduced me to Akane. Apparently Akane used to not allow non-members in, but the Japanese & Singapore economy made it hard to keep the exclusivity, which was why they let non-members in. My husband tells me that a local big-shot businessman even became a member of the association just so he could eat there. Note that non-members are charged about 15% more than what is stated on the menu.

I went there again a few months ago. On a Thursday night. The place was heaving. They had to turn people away. The staff were very harried. We could not get a seat at the counter, and had to wait a long time for the food. Seems like the expense-accounts types are back. Seems to me,. if their members cannot get in, the next logical step would be to limit non-members. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Tonkichi, how does the Le Meridien Nogawa rate? What are prices like?

As for the non-member surcharge, we paid about U$240 for many courses including lots of sushi and sashimi and two flasks of sake. Expensive, but for the quality cheap compared to what you'd pay in Japan. We didn't order from the menu, just asked Nogawa to give us whatever was good. A very memorable starter was tiny Hokkaido potatoes, whipped flawlessly smooth and presented sprinkled with the freshest salmon roe. A simple, but truly inspired combo of textures, tastes, and temperatures.

ecr, I've only eaten once at Nogawa Meridien. The prices are about the same as Akane. The fish was just as fresh, but seems to me the sushi chef at Akane are better at their craft, don't know whether it is in the slicing or the dips, the fish at Akane are just that bit more sweet, more delicious.