• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shad Roe

9lives

Bought a few shad roe at Giuffre's Seafood on Salem St in the North End..sauteed in a little butter...fabulous. Also beautiful swordfish steak, cut to order from a mid size fish.

I think it was $9.50/ lb. Does that sound right? I bought a big sword steak and they added it together. Looked much better than the ones I saw at Savenors..which I'm sure cost more.

Funny thing, the fish monger, who's a second generation (at least)owner of the mkt asked if I liked shad roe. My truthful answer, I'd had it a few times but hadn't much cared for it...but wanted to give it another try." I asked him if he'd ever had it..answer was no.

I've been asking all over Albuquerque for shad roe - and none of the counter clerks had ever *heard* of it..........maybe in Santa Fe. Hmmmmm - sauteed shad roe on toast points!

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

• 4 weeks later...

I LOVE eGullet!

Traded with another vendor today and she gave 2 shad roe. She made a face and I said I'll try anything, but I have no idea how to cook it.

Any ideas for something very simple?

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

I like my Shad Roe simple.

Sauteed in some butter, Once cooked hit the pan with some shallots, garlic, white wine, whole butter, a squeeze of lemon and fresh parsley.

Also like it with sauteed fiddlehead ferns, fennel, garilc, tomato, chives and pernod with whole butter.

James Beard's recipe is good--Shad Roe with bacon. Cook some good bacon, set aside. Melt a stick or two of butter over low heat. Place the roe in the melted butter and poach it for a few minutes. Turn it over and do the other side. When it's just cooked, not dried out, serve it with lemon and the bacon on top. YUM.

Well, there were no responses last night so I turned to Joy of Cooking. Sauteed with butter and olive oil, 2 mins a side. Removed roe sacks and then added sherry vinegar (a teaspoon) and some capers to the remaining liquid.

Absolutley divine and not "challenging" in the least.

JOC said it was rich and that two sacks were too rich for one person. Guess again! I hate them both with a green salad and went to sleep smiling!

I hope to get them again and will try the two methods mentioned above. Thanks!

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

• 1 year later...