• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

suggestions in Guenacaste, Costa Rica

Will be in this area for two weeks this summer, and looking for restaurant suggestions.

Guanacaste is quite a big region in CR. Where exactly would you be staying ? I've stayed at Tamarindo, and there quite a few local shack type restaurants leading up to Playa Tamarindo and Tamarindo-Daria. Costa Rica is not really know for its food; however you'll find good fresh fruits. In the Cities fried chicken, gallo pinto and Beer are the easiest to find.

Then there is the Arenal Volcano area on the other end - If you stay at the Tabacon Lodge, you'll get free access to the Hot springs and their complimentary buffet breakfast. Every time we go to CR, breakfast becomes our main meal and then when we come back at night (hiking,wandering or whatever) we are tired enough to eat anything :hmmm:

anil

will be at the four seasons on playa papagayo. Any thoughts near there would be appreciated

My old guidebooks (2002 editions) do not list Playa Papagayo as a public beach - There is a Gulf of Papagayo north of Tamarindo - Anyway I suspect a Four Seasons in that region would be an all -inclusive type of a place. It would ensure a certain level of cuisine at one or more of the restaurants in the resort.

I have not been to the property, and I suspect that the nearby tico restaurants would not be anything other than a "gallo pinto chicken fare". I might be wrong.

I'm curious about the Four Seasons property, I hope you'll got a good rate for the two weeks.

anil

• 2 weeks later...

just for the record there's some pretty dynamite food to be had in tamarindo...(alas the restaurants change hands so ofdten you have to check with unbiased locals whats good that season, i kid you not..the glory of a international beach town..sashimi from the freshest fish...its not going to be a gourmet trip but you certainly can eat very well...

if you go to the well known local seafood places and sometimes they are shacks sometimes they are on the beach and more upscale that still get whole fresh snapper..you get an enteros, they deep fry the whole fish, you filet it yourself, its the best thing ever...tico food is plain, and breakfast is the best meal of the day but, the fruit and vegies are amazing, icecream (try a trit), any health food joint or soda is going to have naturales(fruit juices that are great...)

my parents live there and i've been going there for 17 years now..i've watched that country change..its insane...

• 6 months later...

I was in Costa Rica years ago, and found out that wherever the locals ate not only was it inexpensive but great food.

We may live without poetry, music, and art; We may live without conscience and live without heart; We may live without friends, we may live without books; But civilized man cannot live without cooks.

Our trip was fabulous. The hotel is great but very isolated. The closest off site attraction, zip lining, in 30 minutes away( it takes 25 minutes just to get to the exit of the hotel, as it down a long and windy road). Most of the other excursions are at least 1.5 hours away. You may want to private charter a boat to get people to playa hermosa or coco, which is only 15 minutes by boat, but 45 by car.

The food is great, I would rely heavily on local seafood for menu planning. We went fishing, and caught tuna and wahoo, which the hotel cooked held for us, cooked for us. The staff at the hotel is superlative.

Also, the house florist is wonderful, you should have no qualms using her for your wedding.

• 4 months later...

You're well-off eating at any roadside sodas, particularly ones near the beach. Always cheap, and usually great. You can get a Chinese-style seafood stirfry for $3, and a lobster with homemade fries for $10. Fried chicken is also often good...

In Playa Hermosa, on the main drag just before the beach, there's a great restaurant called Ginger, run by an ex-pat from Montreal. A meringue dessert that's out of this world....