• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mezcal

beans

phlip can correct me on proportions here, but this is how I make my own versions at home:

Jovencourt daiquiri: 2 oz Barbancourt white + 0.5 oz Los Amantes Joven mezcal + lime and sugar as normal.

Oaxaca Old-Fashioned (based on my experimentation, so again let the ACTUAL BARTENDER correct!): 2 oz El Tesoro reposado + 0.5 oz Los Amantes Joven + 0.5 oz agave syrup plus bitters (grapefruit?) and a flamed grapefruit twist.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

From the horse's mouth

Jovencourt Daquiri

2 barbancourt white

.75 simple

.75 lime

.25 Los Amantes joven mezcal

shake serve up

Oaxaca Old Fashion

barspoon amber agave nectar

1.5 El Tosoro Reposado

.5 Los Amantes Joven

2 Dash Angustora

Stir serve on rocks

Flamed orange twist

Naturally Mayur put more booze in because he is a lush :raz::raz::raz::raz:

Thanks so much! I'll try those out.

But I noticed that both do not feature mezcal as the primary base spirit. Are there good recipes that do? Or is it like scotch and considered not as mixable for the same reasons?

Just got some of the Monte Alban. Wonderful. The nose is almost exactly like tequila, but the palate is much earthier and there is a fabulous puff of smoke in the finish. For me, this could compete with añejo tequilas as a nice sipping tipple. It's very easy to imagine how good an aged mezcal would be. Just as I enjoy smoky single malt Scotch in the winter, this kind of thing would nice to sip on cool summer nights sitting by a chiminea.

Kent, I think you've nailed it. There seem to be very few cocktails that call for mezcal, and for those that do, it probably works better as accent ingredient, than as the base spirit. I found this recipe which does use it as the main spirit, but upon trying it, I was less than enthusiastic about it:

1 1/2 ounces mezcal

1/2 ounce brandy

1/2 lemon

1/2 lime

3/4 ounce simple syrup

3 dashes Peychaud's bitters

This had an odd taste. It wasn't horrible, just odd. I'm not sure if it was the amount of mezcal or the use of Peychaud's.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

1 1/2 ounces mezcal

1/2 ounce brandy

1/2 lemon

1/2 lime

3/4 ounce simple syrup

For some reason, to me, Brandy seems like an odd choice for a "filler" spirit with Mezcal.

Also, the use of Lemon and Lime seems a bit odd.

Like they were trying to split the difference between a Margarita and a Sidecar? Or replicate sweet and sour mix for the home cocktail enthusiast?

If I were trying to salvage it, I'd pick lemon or lime and maybe use a blended canadian whisky or reposado tequila instead of brandy.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

1 1/2 ounces mezcal

1/2 ounce brandy

1/2 lemon

1/2 lime

3/4 ounce simple syrup

For some reason, to me, Brandy seems like an odd choice for a "filler" spirit with Mezcal.

Also, the use of Lemon and Lime seems a bit odd.

Like they were trying to split the difference between a Margarita and a Sidecar? Or replicate sweet and sour mix for the home cocktail enthusiast?

If I were trying to salvage it, I'd pick lemon or lime and maybe use a blended canadian whisky or reposado tequila instead of brandy.

That recipe actually came from the Del Maguey website. It called for a specific product, the Chichicapa, but I wonder how much difference it really would have made. Here is how Del Maguey describes that particular product:

Chichicapa has a relatively light nose, yet is deep and sweet on the tongue with a very complex character. It has a long finish, with a distinct smokiness and hint of mint at the end.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

• 1 month later...
Here's one developed by Erik Adkins for a bar in Oakland:
carter beats the devil

2 oz el tesoro reposado

1 oz lime

1/2 oz organic agave nectar (rainbow bulk)

1/2 oz del maguey minero mescal

20 drops (eye dropper) of chile tincture

served up

chile tincture:  fill a jar with de-stemmed intact thai chilles and cover with wray &nephew overproof for two weeks.

Thad Vogler also had a really nice cocktail on the Jardiniere menu with one of the Single Village Mezcals. Single Village Fix, I think it was called, sweetened with Pineapple Syrup and also had a touch of spice. Great feature for that tremendous Mezcal. I'll have to email and see if he'll give me the goods, since I don't believe he is at Jardiniere any longer.

I had an interesting drink recently at Scalo in Albuquerque that was similar to this but which used cucumber and mint instead of the chile tincture.

Here's the recipe from Ben Williams at Scalo in Nob Hill in Albuquerque:

click

Cucumber Margarita

2 oz. premium silver tequila (I like Herradura)

1/3 oz. agave nectar

Juice of one large lime

1 cucumber

1/8 oz. mezcal

In a metal cocktail shaker add ice, agave nectar and one-inch section of cucumber, cut in half, lengthwise.

Muddle until ice is crushed and cucumber is reduced to a pulp.

Squeeze in juice from one lime and add tequila. Shake contents well and strain into an old fashioned glass filled with ice.

Top with a small float of mezcal.

Garnish with a cucumber wheel.

Enjoy the cucumb-ery goodness.

I enjoyed this drink so much that I ordered a margarita with a mescal float this past weekend up in Taos at Doc Martin's Adobe Bar. click They call it "Fire on the Mountain" and list the ingredients as:

Milagro Silver, triple sec, sweet & sour, topped with a float of Chichicapa Mezcal

It was served over ice with a salt rim; the mezcal added an intriguing smokey taste.

This may be a relatively common margarita variant but if so, I had never noticed it until after I happened to have the cucumber margarita with mezcal mentioned above.

So now I'm on the look out for an appropriate brand of Mezcal to use as an addition to drinks like these...

edited to add: I notice that the cucumber margarita recipe I listed does not have the mint I mentioned above when I first described the drink... I think the version I had at the restaurant had a mint sprig garnish. I *guess* I'll have to try it both ways...

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Here's an online commercial review I found for several mezcals: click

(See link for tasting notes; the scores are from 1-100)

97 • Scorpion Mezcal Añejo 7 Years $240.

96 • Real de Magueyes Añejo Mezcal $26.99.

96 • Scorpion Mezcal Añejo 5 Years $180.

94 • Real de Magueyes Silver Mezcal $19.99.

87 • Zacatecano Reposado Mezcal $22.99.

85 • Monte Alban Mezcal $19.99.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I got a bottle of the Real de Magueyes Añejo and think it's pretty awful. The biggest problem is that it's dominated by this heavy wood taste which has elements of pine needles in it. The smell reflects this and is also unpleasant. Underneath this, I can taste some of the vegetal characteristics, which seem fine. The dominant woodiness is nothing like I've ever tasted in anejo tequila or any wood-aged spirit.

Could I have gotten a bad bottle?

• 1 month later...

Not sure, but the flavors you're describing -- pine, vegetal, smoke -- are elements in the bottle I have as well. Perhaps you just don't like the style?

BTW, I found a bottle of Del Maguey San Luis Del Rio for $35 and grabbed it. This stuff is amazing.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I got a bottle of the Real de Magueyes Añejo and think it's pretty awful. The biggest problem is that it's dominated by this heavy wood taste which has elements of pine needles in it. The smell reflects this and is also unpleasant. Underneath this, I can taste some of the vegetal characteristics, which seem fine. The dominant woodiness is nothing like I've ever tasted in anejo tequila or any wood-aged spirit.

Could I have gotten a bad bottle?

sounds like mezcal to me. on its own mezcal is definitely an acquired tastes but i've found a way to make most things i didn't like on their own really wonderful in a cocktail.

with really angular uncontrasted flavors like the smokiness of mezcal a great strategy is to overshadow things somewhat in a drink. sloe gin, cherry heering and chambord over shadows wonderfully while st. germain, cointreau, and maraschino don't do it at all.

a mezcal blood and sand might be a really cool start with just the right amount of protruding smokey character. one thing i really like to do if i don't want to over shadow the mezcal is to split the spirit quotient of the drink into mezcal and kirshwasser. diluting the intensity with a fruity contrast is usually always a winner. mezcal and a really round congac is also pretty tasty.

good luck.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

I should add that this is not all like Monte Alban which has little wood, but is quite smokey and interesting. I can't tell if Monte Alban is aged or not, but I do see that Real de Magueyes makes a blanco in addition to the anejo.

• 5 months later...

Some Death & Co mezcal cocktails:

Cinder

* 1/2 oz Fresh Lime Juice

* 1/2 oz Simple Syrup

* 1/4 oz Los Amantes Joven mescal

* 1/2 oz Jalapeno-infused Herradura Blanco tequila

* 1/2 oz Herradura Reposado tequila

* 2 Dashes Angostura Bitters

Shake and serve in a coupe glass that has half rim of 2 to 1 Smoked Salt / Kosher salt mix.

Slight Detour

* 1 oz. Herradura tequila reposado

* 1/2 oz. jalapeno-infused blanco tequila

* 1/2 oz. Del Maguey San Luis Del Rio mezcal

* 1 barspoon agave nectar

* 2 dashes The Bitter Truth Bittermens Xocolatl Mole Bitters

* Orange twist

Stir with ice and strain into cocktail glass.

Southern Exposure

* Pinch Kosher salt

* 1/2 oz fresh lime juice

* 1/2 oz red bell pepper puree

* 1/2 oz sugar cane syrup

* 1/2 oz Los Amantes Joven Mescal

* 1/2 oz jalapeño Herradura Silver

Shake, double strain into coupe. No garnish.

From Phil at Mayahuel:

Watermelon Sugar

* 2 cubes (1") watermelon

* 1/2 oz sugar cane syrup

* 3/4 oz lime juice

* 1/2 oz Los Amantes Joven mezcal

* 1 1/2 oz Herradurra Silver tequila

Shake and strain into a coupe rimmed with sugar, salt, and cayanne pepper.

And one from Jim of PDT:

Mezcal Mule

* 1/2 oz agave syrup (1:1 agave to water)

* 3/4 oz lime juice

* 3/4 oz passionfruit puree (if puree is thick, cut slightly with water)

* 1 oz ginger beer

* 3 cucumber slices

* 1 1/2 oz Sombra mezcal

* pinch of cayenne pepper

Muddle cucumber. Add mezcal, lime, passionfruit puree, and ginger beer. Shake and strain into a rocks glass. Add a pinch of chili pepper. Garnish with candied ginger speared to cucumber.

And the Single Village Fix from Beretta in SF:

* 1 1/2 oz Del Maguey Minero mezcal

* 3/4 oz freshly squeezed lime juice

* 3/4 oz pineapple gum syrup (see note).

Combine the ingredients with ice in a shaker, and shake. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass and serve.

Note: Small Hand Foods gum syrups from Cask: (415) 424-4844, or caskstore.com.

Edited by kathryn (log)
"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

Can anyone explain the z/s difference? In exchange, I offer something I created for the work menu; careful with the lemon balm syrup, which loses its pop more quickly than you'd think. Apologies for the cheap moniker: I cannot believe that the name isn't out in googleland already.

Mezcal Sunset

1 1/2 oz Chichicapa or Minero mezcal

3/4 lime

-3/4 lemon balm syrup

-1/2 green Chartreuse

dash Angostura

Shake; strain into a coupe. Lower 1/2 t of Luxardo Maraschino syrup to the bottom of the glass with your barspoon.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Mescal or mezcal?

Either spelling is correct. The traditional spelling is mescal, with an 's' but some producers prefer mezcal with a 'z' to help disassociate the spirit from mescaline. Also, it helps differentiate between the Native Indians, the 'Mescalero' and the mezcalero who makes the spirit. Like tequila, mezcal has its own burden of urban mythology. I have chosen to honour the "z" spelling on this site.

The plural for is mescales or mezcales, and since the word refers to a family of spirits rather than a single band or regional variety, it should more properly be written in the plural form.

Source:

http://www.ianchadwick.com/tequila/mezcal_definition.htm

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

• 2 months later...

Here are some recipes I came up with years ago for Mezcal before there were so many available.

This list was generated back around 2002 when there were about 5 mezcal recipes around (if you include a Mezcal Margarita).

MEZCAL RECIPES

These are MY recipes - created for my friends and for this website.

Mezcal Cafe su Da (Vietnamese-style coffee with mezcal)

created by Chris Carlsson, SpiritsReview.com

mezcal-su-da-200.jpg

1 oz Scorpion Silver Mezcal or Mijes Joven

1 oz Sweetened Condensed Milk (fat free version OK)

4 oz strong Coffee (cold or at least not hot)

Stir with lots of ice and pour into prepared martini glass rimmed with raw (turbinado) sugar or Stirrings Espresso Martini Rimmer. Enjoy!

Mercury

1 oz Gin

6 oz Tonic Water

Lime for Garnish

Mix Mezcal and Gin over ice, add tonic and lime wedge (bitters optional). Enjoy!

Note: The Mercury is basicly a smoky gin and tonic.

Malaria

Juice of 1 Lime

4 oz Tonic Water

Pour into chilled highball glass over ice (you can rim the glass with lime juice and salt if you like). Enjoy!

Authentic Blood and Sand

1 oz Orange Juice

3/4 oz Cherry Liqueur (Cherry Herring or Cherry Marnier)

3/4 oz of Sweet (Red) Vermouth

Combine in shaker over ice, shake 20 seconds. Strain into chilled cocktail glass, garnish with Maraschino cherry. Enjoy!

Note: The original version was based on the 1922 silent Rudolph Valentino movie about bullfighting. First recording of recipe was 1930 Savoy Cocktail Book which uses Scotch, as no one knew what mezcal was back then if they were north of Texas. This version attempts to address that.

Variations on the Theme:

Use 1/4-1/2 oz Cassis instead of Cherry Liqueur (Unnamed)

Use 1/4-1/2 oz Creme de Yvette instead of Cherry Liqueur (Unnamed)

Dryer version of Blood and Sand

1 oz Orange Juice

3/4 oz Maraschino Liqueur (Luxardo)

3/4 oz of Sweet (Red) Vermouth

Combine in shaker over ice, shake 20 seconds. Strain into chilled cocktail glass, garnish with Maraschino cherry. Enjoy!

Carmen's Tears (a dry, clear version)

3/4 oz Maraschino Liquour (Stock makes a good one)

3/4 oz Dry (White) Vermouth

2 Dashes Oranges Bitters (Regans No. 6 recommended) Combine in shaker over ice, shake 20 seconds.

Strain into chilled cocktail glass,

Garnish with Maraschino cherry.

Enjoy!

Gentle Jorge Cocktail

2 oz Scorpion Silver Mezcal

1/2 oz Dry (White) Vermouth

1/2 oz Cointreau, Cointreau Noir, Solerno, or Grand Marnier

2 Dashes Oranges Bitters (Regans No. 6 recommended)

Stir with ice and strain into a large cocktail glass (5 oz or more) Enjoy!

Fall from Grace

2 1/2 oz Scorpion Silver Mezcal or Mijes Joven

1 oz Sour Apple Liqueur

1/2 oz Roses Lime Cordial

or 1/2 oz fresh lime juice and teaspoon of sugar

or 1/2 oz Agave syrup to sweeten - you choose)

Shake 20 seconds with ice

Strain into chilled cocktail glass

Mother's Milk

1/2 oz Kahlua or Kona Gold Coffee Liqueur

1/2 oz Heavy Cream

1/2 oz Milk (substitute 1 oz 1/2 and 1/2 if you like)

1Tsp Agave Syrup

Shake with ice 30 seconds,

Strain into old fashioned glass

Dust with fresh grated nutmeg

Bruges

1 oz sweet vermouth

1 oz orange juice (variation 1/2 oz Solerno and 1/2 Luxardo Fernet -no vermouth or orange juice)

1 1 oz kummel ( or aquavit such as Krogstad)

1-2 dashes Angostura Bitters

Shake over ice 20 seconds strain into cocktail glass

Smoke on the Bog

2 oz Scorpion Silver Mezcal or Mijes Joven

1 oz Cherry Cordial (Heering ?)

1 1/2 oz Cranberry Juice or Spritzer -

If juice shake over ice and strain

If Spritzer build or stir

Train Spotter

2 tsp honey

1 1/2 Oatmeal Water

1/4 oz Drambuie (Variations:St.Germain or Solerno )

1/4 Amaretto

1/2 oz Heavy Cream

Stir Honey with Mezcal first ,

add other ingredients

shake 30 seconds ,

strain into cocktail glass

dust with nutmeg

(Oatmeal water is made by soaking 3 tblsp of oatmeal in 1/2 mug of warm

water for 15 minutes, strain off.)

Poppa Doc

2 tsp honey

1 1/2 oz Roasted Coconut Juice

1/4 -1/2 oz Clement Creole Shrubb

1/4 Amaretto

1/2 oz Heavy Cream

add other ingredients

shake 30 seconds ,

Dust with nutmeg

Maximillian's Downfall

2 tsp honey

1/4-1/2 oz Cointreau Noir (Variations:St.Germain or Solerno )

1/4 Amaretto

1/2 oz Heavy Cream

add other ingredients

shake 30 seconds ,

Dust with nutmeg

(Variation: Chili Powder)

Chiang Kai Shek's Downfall

2 tsp honey

1/4-1/2 oz Cointreau Noir (Variations:St.Germain or Solerno )

1/4 Amaretto

1/2 oz Heavy Cream

add other ingredients

shake 30 seconds ,

Dust with 5 Spice Powder

Uncle Ho (Ho Chi Minh)

2 tsp honey

1/4-1/2 oz Cointreau Noir (Variations:St.Germain or Solerno)

1/4 Amaretto

1/2 oz Heavy Cream

add other ingredients

shake 30 seconds ,

dust with Vietnamese Cinnamon

Cloudburst

1 oz Aviation Gin

1 oz White Creme de Cacao

1 oz Heavy Cream

Shake 20 seconds

Strain onto Maritini glass

Dust with Vietnamese Cinnamon

Paradise Lost

1 oz Obsello Absinthe

1/2 oz Agave syrup

1/4- 1/2 oz Cointreau Noir (Variations:St.Germain or Solerno )

Garnish Orange Zest (prefer flamed)

Peso (Buck variation so play on words)

1/2 oz fresh lemon juice

top up with Ginger Ale

garnish with lemon wedge

AIG Bailout Version:

1/2 oz fresh lemon juice

1/2 oz Cointreau Noir (Variations:St.Germain or Solerno)

top up with Champagne

garnish with lemon wedge

Note: We recommend Scorpion Silver Mezcal for its very smoky profile and Mijes Joven as a very mild much less smoky profile

Edited by Dangermonkey (log)

The Pleasures of Exile are Imperfect at Best, At Worst They Rot the Liver.

Spirits Review.com

I have been wondering the same thing about the Monte Alban. I bought some (and some Cusano Rojo, shudder) but the stuff poisons absolutely anything it touches. I thought maybe I was just doin' it wrong; glad to see it might be the mezcal, not me.

Guess I'll have to wait until Del Maguey gets to Minneapolis, which I'm told will be this fall.

Pip Hanson | Marvel Bar

• 4 weeks later...

My bar just started carrying Ilegal Mezcal and it's really, really good!! http://www.ilegalmezcal.com/

I haven't dabbled much further than the occasional glass of Metl, but the Ilegal really opened my eyes to how wonderful mezcal could be.

It's been challenging to incorporate into cocktails without muddying up the flavor fo the mezcal. I've found that simple subtle flavor enhancements work best to showcase the extraordinary taste. It's like mixing cocktails with good scotch. You probably shouldn't but sometimes it just works. Although it seems that many people here have combined tequila and mezcal. I wonder if that is to mellow out the potency of the mezcal taste? I'll have to give it a try.

2oz Ilegal Joven

slice of raw tomato

hard shake over ice

double strain into a chilled nosing glass and garnish with a sprig of thyme

Sazerac Ilegal

2oz Ilegal anejo

stir over ice and strain into a chilled absinthe rinsed glass

orange peel garnish (without the flame - the mezcal is already smokey enough)

Enjoy!

Striving for cocktailian excellence and always learning.