• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mezcal

beans

Another Mezcal cocktail that worked out fantastically was the Velvet Goldmine, which I found on Cocktail Virgin Slut

Velvet Goldmine

2 Oz Mezcal (Vida)

0.5 Oz Velvet Falernum

0.5 Oz Fernet Branca

0.5 Oz Pineapple Juice

0.75 Oz Lime Juice

0.25 Oz Agave Nectar(I used simple syrup, because of what I have seen about Agave Nectar, and it is what I had)

1 ds Peychauds

Shake with ice and strain into rocks glass with crushed ice. Garnish with a mint sprig(Omitted, my mint has already received frost) and a straw

Wow, super complex and tasty. I think I like Mezcal a bit more than my budget allows, because this is a sensational cocktail. Deep flavors, creating impressions of thing that weren't there(I kept getting a faint hint of coffee).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Continuing experiments with my glorious bottle of Vida!

Oaxacan Ice Water

1.5 Oz Mezcal (Del Maguey Vida)

1 Oz Lemon Juice

0.5 Oz Agave Nectar(Rich Turbinado Syruo)

2 Ds Grapefruit Bitters(Fee's)

1 OZ Soda Water

Shake first four ingredients with ice. Strain into a Old-Fashioned glass with fresh ice(I used a water goblet, as inspired by the name:)

Again, a total success. This drink really lets the Mezcal shine in a way that is not overpowering. And a great use of my recently acquired Grapefruit bitters.

Continuing experiments with my glorious bottle of Vida!

Oaxacan Ice Water

1.5 Oz Mezcal (Del Maguey Vida)

1 Oz Lemon Juice

0.5 Oz Agave Nectar(Rich Turbinado Syruo)

2 Ds Grapefruit Bitters(Fee's)

1 OZ Soda Water

Shake first four ingredients with ice. Strain into a Old-Fashioned glass with fresh ice(I used a water goblet, as inspired by the name:)

Again, a total success. This drink really lets the Mezcal shine in a way that is not overpowering. And a great use of my recently acquired Grapefruit bitters.

I tried that one a couple years ago, with the less than stellar mezcal that I can get where I live, and really enjoyed it. Good name for it too, it's refreshing and goes down easy on a hot day.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 1 month later...

Gastown from Happiness Forgets in London (Geoff Robinson). It's mezcal with a touch of Cynar, Fernet, Angostura and Jerry Thomas' Own Decanter bitters, plus a little bit of maple syrup to sweeten up the deal.

11429311425_cbee372dc3_z.jpg

Quite rogue/beta cocktail-like and quite good actually. Smoke, orange, bitter, and savory.

• Like 3

Gastown from Happiness Forgets in London (Geoff Robinson). It's mezcal with a touch of Cynar, Fernet, Angostura and Jerry Thomas' Own Decanter bitters, plus a little bit of maple syrup to sweeten up the deal.

11429311425_cbee372dc3_z.jpg

Quite rogue/beta cocktail-like and quite good actually. Smoke, orange, bitter, and savory.

Interesting sounding drink and may suit the crowd that liked the In Bloom last weekend. But what an odd measurement for the mezcal! KC lists the Vida at 1 3/8 ounces. Reallly? Is another 1/8 oz (roughly 3.7 ml) going to make that much difference?

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Interesting sounding drink and may suit the crowd that liked the In Bloom last weekend. But what an odd measurement for the mezcal! KC lists the Vida at 1 3/8 ounces. Reallly? Is another 1/8 oz (roughly 3.7 ml) going to make that much difference?

That's because the recipe was converted from metric (1 3/8 oz ~ 40 mL).

Right you are. A bit of trickery goes into making the conversions sufficiently, but not overly, precise. 40 ml = 1.35256 oz.

If you can set you ml / oz preference in your account profile.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Right you are. A bit of trickery goes into making the conversions sufficiently, but not overly, precise. 40 ml = 1.35256 oz.

If you can set you ml / oz preference in your account profile.

Ah! Fair enough. Guess I need to use the preference tool when I see an odd measurement!

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

• 1 month later...

It's amazing the number of views you get when you post something called Naked and Famous on flickr. I guess I should not be surprised. Anyway, this creation by Joaquín Simó is a delicious drink. Equal parts mezcal, aperol, yellow chartreuse, and lime juice. Sour/aromatic/bitter/smoky. Everything meshes together. Great combo and a very attractive color.

12111773033_331ea245a0_z.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Recently tried the Downtown at Dawn from Cocktail Virgin Slut (Link), which looked like a sure-fire hit from the recipe:

1 Oz Del Maguey Mezcal (I used Illegal, which recently became available locally)

1 Oz Laird's Bonded Apple Brandy

0.75 Oz Benedictine

0.75 Oz Cocchi Sweet Vermouth (I used Punt e Mes)

0.5 Oz Lime Juice

Shake, strain, OF Glass.

I liked it, but I did not love it. It may have been a little bit too sweet for my mood that night. It could also be that my limes were a bit substandard, given the recent shortage. Either way, it is worth retrying, given that I love everything in it.

• 1 month later...

At work recently we had two presentations on the paranormal.  I mention this only because around midnight I heard a loud pop, and discovered someone had uncorked a bottle of tobala and left the cork half way across the room.

I have replaced the cork but it keeps trying to get out.  Any suggestions for exorcising mezcal?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 months later...

After the Naked and Famous, it seemed only logical to delve into the Hot and Heavy (still trying to boost my flickr views...). This one is by Troy Sidle, recipe obtained by Rafa (thanks!).

I went with Siete Leguas for the tequila, Del Maguey Vida for the mezcal. Mint from the patio (spanked as per instructions). I was too impatient to waste any time infusing honey with hot peppers, so I used regular honey syrup that I supplemented with a generous dash of BDW serrano cocktail spice.

I am not sure that the cocktail lives up to its name, but it was vibrant with a hot bite. I have to say that the delicate tequila got a bit overpowered by the mezcal and spice, but it was good anyway.

14715755047_dbfed40827_z.jpg

As a side note, my friend is working on launching his serrano cocktail spice commercially. Here is the information if you are interested in supporting his project.

• 6 months later...

At work recently we had two presentations on the paranormal.  I mention this only because around midnight I heard a loud pop, and discovered someone had uncorked a bottle of tobala and left the cork half way across the room.

I have replaced the cork but it keeps trying to get out.  Any suggestions for exorcising mezcal?

My bottle of Chichicapa recently did this. I attributed it to some fuzzy aspect of physics: it was a warm day and ... well ... hot/cold/pressure/blahblahblah. Maybe. I mean, I haven't witnessed it again: even though we've had very hot days in which the temperature has dropped relatively quickly.

More on point, I'm sipping on some Vida at the moment. It's lovely. I like the Chichicapa but I'm almost inclined to say I like the Vida more. Maybe as much as my all-time favourite, Ilegal reposado. Wondering where else I'd like to go in the Maguey range next.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I believe the Vida is made from the same stock as the San Luis del Rio, so that would be a good bet.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

More on point, I'm sipping on some Vida at the moment. It's lovely. I like the Chichicapa but I'm almost inclined to say I like the Vida more. Maybe as much as my all-time favourite, Ilegal reposado. Wondering where else I'd like to go in the Maguey range next.

Good to know. My bottle of Vida is almost gone and I was considering "upgrading" to Chichicapa which is twice the price and recommended in the Death & Co book. Maybe I should try it before committing.

Chichicapa and Vida taste nothing alike—Vida is excellent for giving smoke, citrus, and other broad-strokes mezcal notes to cocktails; Chichicapa is much less smokey, with citric, tropical, and mineral flavors. Both are excellent. As far as substitutes for Vida, Sombra works well. Vida can fill in for Chichicapa in a pinch, but the flavors are quite different. (I don't really know how Death & Co can afford to feature so many drinks with Chichicapa.)

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

The Del Maguey line sounds good, but what's the reason it's so popular here? Quality alone? Availability in the U.S.? Some combination? We drank a lot of mezcal in Mexico City over New Year's and never saw it on any menu or used in cocktails.

I'll try to post the bottles we brought back when I get home... curious to see if people have had them and what you think of them if so.

The Del Maguey line sounds good, but what's the reason it's so popular here? Quality alone? Availability in the U.S.? Some combination? We drank a lot of mezcal in Mexico City over New Year's and never saw it on any menu or used in cocktails.

I'll try to post the bottles we brought back when I get home... curious to see if people have had them and what you think of them if so.

It's not just the pretty labels.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Del Maguey was created to highlight quality and regional diversity in a category that, at the time, just about everyone in the US dismissed. It was created for the US market by someone with good knowledge of the industry, and it succeeded in increasing category knowledge among both connaisseurs and bartenders (for whom Vida was developed). Basically it's a quality line targeted at the States that got there before anyone else.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com