• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian Street-food dinner

Monica, I'd like to add my thanks as well. The food was delicious (the photos look great!) and meeting new people was a treat for me as well. It would not have been nearly as enjoyable but for the graciousness of Chef Sudhir and his wife. Truly a wonderful evening, even though I'm getting full again just looking at the photos! :biggrin:

Monica, I'd like to add my thanks as well. The food was delicious (the photos look great!) and meeting new people was a treat for me as well. It would not have been nearly as enjoyable but for the graciousness of Chef Sudhir and his wife. Truly a wonderful evening, even though I'm getting full again just looking at the photos! :biggrin:

I am delighted you decided to come!

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

My lunch was limited to a small salad and some tuna from the Safeway salad bar.

I didn't finish it.

:biggrin:

You've been able to eat food already?!? :shock: I am just now approaching the point that I can even consider food, although some lassi sounds pretty good... :smile:

Yet another huge "thank you" to Monica and the folks at Passage to India. An excellent evening. My only regret is that we could not arrive earlier (my flight from the west coast did not arrive into Dulles until 4:40) and socialize with you all more!

This sounds like it was an amazing event, and Monica did a fantastic job of putting it all together.

I really wish I could have been there and met the team, but I'm glad I at least got to buy a round for everyone in absentia.

Cheers,

Don.

Thanks for that Don. If only you had sprung for the marijuana that is traditional in the drink that was offered, we would have had an even better time. Oh well.

:cool:

*** This is not to be construed as saying that Passage to India would ever serve this with marijuana, just that it is traditionally served this way in India.

Bill Russell

This sounds like it was an amazing event, and Monica did a fantastic job of putting it all together.

I really wish I could have been there and met the team, but I'm glad I at least got to buy a round for everyone in absentia.

Cheers,

Don.

Thanks for that Don. If only you had sprung for the marijuana that is traditional in the drink that was offered, we would have had an even better time. Oh well.

:cool:

*** This is not to be construed as saying that Passage to India would ever serve this with marijuana, just that it is traditionally served this way in India.

Who says he didnt :raz:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

funny how much better than green/sulfer/cumin/ liquid tasted after it was suggested that it might help us to digest and hence finish the meal....

ah, so many thanks!! To the chef and his wife; to the patient wait staff; to Monica; to our imaginary friend Mr. Rocks for the best drink of the evening; to Edward who walked our little table through the dishes before attempting to fall asleep....

I'd never had chaat before but will shortly be making a trip to the wilson blvd store for ingredients...the potato cutlets with the white pea curry, which was green and not white, were a fantastic combination--tangy tamarind and something cooling was just enough to marry the two staples together--while the onion bhajia were the strangest, if best-tasting fried dish I've had--fruity peppers beneath a crisp and not-the-least-bit greasy popper, with enough onion to keep the mouth interested..

and the desserts....um. thanks. Partially for all the hard work and creative imagination that went into the desserts, which were truly beautiful on the plate--and partially for now being able to say I've had Indian desserts made right and still find them a little bit too close to the diebetic shock end of the spectrum for my pedestrian tastes....

Thank you Monica, our ambassador of Indian cuisine, for putting all this together and thank you Chef Sudhir for flawless execution. I had a wonderful evening down memory lanes of India's street food vendors. Please also convey my thanks to your staff who did a wonderful job.

Looking forward to episode two, are you ready, monica??

Best

Bhasin

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

I am terrible at names. Hopefully others will swim in and identify themselves. Here's who I remember from Monica's pix.

In the top photo, the lady in the pretty dress is Babka

Next photo, the table to the right is occupied by (from left) Mnebergall and Mrs. Mnebergall, and then I'm afraid I can't remember who was who at the rest of the table.

The third pic I'm good with since I was at the table myself. From left, Squids, me, Txaggie, Cjsadler, Mdt, Mrs. JPW, JPW.

Next, we have Mrs. Bilrus, Bilrus, and Monica's husband (with his back to the camera).

Next, on the right in the center the tall guy is DCFoodie. Behind him is Mrs. DCFoodie. I think the rest of the people at their table were either coworkers of his or partners/friends of those coworkers.

The people in the second-to-last photo that I can identify are also in the last photo. In the last pic, sitting against the wall are Stacie, a friend Edward brought, and then Edward. Babka is sitting opposite them.

There were three more tables of people that Monica didn't capture. Otello showed up with a whole crew of friends, for example.

I am terrible at names. Hopefully others will swim in and identify themselves. Here's who I remember from Monica's pix.

In the top photo, the lady in the pretty dress is Babka

Next photo, the table to the right is occupied by (from left) Mnebergall and Mrs. Mnebergall, and then I'm afraid I can't remember who was who at the rest of the table.

The third pic I'm good with since I was at the table myself. From left, Squids, me, Txaggie, Cjsadler, Mdt, Mrs. JPW, JPW.

Next, we have Mrs. Bilrus, Bilrus, and Monica's husband (with his back to the camera).

Next, on the right in the center the tall guy is DCFoodie. Behind him is Mrs. DCFoodie. I think the rest of the people at their table were either coworkers of his or partners/friends of those coworkers.

The people in the second-to-last photo that I can identify are also in the last photo. In the last pic, sitting against the wall are Stacie, a friend Edward brought, and then Edward. Babka is sitting opposite them.

There were three more tables of people that Monica didn't capture. Otello showed up with a whole crew of friends, for example.

You got me right. Mrs. DCFoodie's name is Amy. But I don't mind if you call her Mrs. DCFoodie.

After being smacked repeatedly by Mrs. DCFoodie, I am told that you should refer to her as Amalah.

• 9 months later...
When I saw that this post had been bumped up, I figured another Indian meal had been scheduled.

No such luck?

Come on, Monica...how about it!

Yes, please! And perhaps with some nods to Bengal? Bhelpuri, Phhuchka (I know there's a West Indian equivalent but I forget the name), jhaal moori, jaal jeera (yes, I know this isn't Bengali)

Just reading about this event makes me hungry....

When I saw that this post had been bumped up, I figured another Indian meal had been scheduled.

No such luck?

[Ah, ah, ah, he says, shaking his finger disapprovingly and with scorn...

this will either need to be submitted as an eGullet Calendar Event, or if it's within seven days, to be posted on the ISO DC Dining Friends thread and organized via private mail.

Sincerely,

Luca Brazzi. :smile: ]

No such luck?

this will either need to be submitted as an eGullet Calendar Event, or if it's within seven days, to be posted on the ISO DC Dining Friends thread and organized via private mail.

Sincerely,

Egads, didn't Luca Brazzi end up sleeping with the fishes? Tell us this is not your fate, DonRocks...

No such luck?

Sincerely,

yup. i am on it.. off the boards. :biggrin:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice