• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian Street-food dinner

Hello all.. I have been craving spicy food all week.. are we up for an event focusing on the street foods of India? If there is an interest i can organize something.....

from potato cutlets slathered in mint cilantro chutney to small crip breads bathed in yogurt and tamarind sauce.. the possiblities and tastes are endless..

let me know... :wub:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Sounds great!

Summer's already pretty booked up, but I'd love to do this.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yesy es yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

mhberk - I guess you dont want to come :wacko::laugh:

It means that Indian (Americanized Indian) is one of my favorite foods to eat. I eat it every chance I get. The pic means that I am "drooling with desire". This is the highest complement I can give. :biggrin:

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yesy es yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

me toooooooooooo

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Okay - here is where we are. I talked to CHef Sudhir Seth of Passage to India in Bethesda and he has agreed to host this event for us.. yippee!! (Sudhir has co authored classes on the eGCI with me. He is an excellent chef.. this should be fun)

Give us a bit to come up with a few suggested dates and menus..

A question.. street food is served with, what else, street drinks which do not include alcohol.. fyi.. (ofcourse you can order any drinks you want it just wont be part of the deal... we will have green mango juice with rocksalt, lassi's, limeade... etc)

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Okay - here is where we are. I talked to CHef Sudhir Seth of Passage to India in Bethesda and he has agreed to host this event for us.. yippee!! (Sudhir has co authored classes on the eGCI with me. He is an excellent chef.. this should be fun)

Give us a bit to come up with a few suggested dates and menus..

A question.. street food is served with, what else, street drinks which do not include alcohol.. fyi.. (ofcourse you can order any drinks you want it just wont be part of the deal... we will have green mango juice with rocksalt, lassi's, limeade... etc)

Wonderful Monica, a few suggestions if I may.

Can you guys go beyond standard restaurant offerings of Samosas, Chat Papri, Bhel Puri, Pani Puri, Dosas, Aloo Tikki, Aloo/fruit Chat, chole etc.

Also the green mango juice, if it is amras you are refering to, we tried at the Indiqe get together and generally it was not liked, perhaps due to the minerally taste ans the aroma of the rock salt.

I look forward to the event. Sign me up for two.

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia