• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Desperate Measures

But you know bleaudauvergne - other than the saltcod which was a gift, the rest of the ingredients came to maybe...$10 total?

and foreign roomates do kick ass.

Ling's blog here has a lot of interesting notes on this.

Personally, when I was in college, I was the fattest I've ever been.

All the pizza they had around at various things. Lost 20-25 lbs once I stepped away from all that.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

At the risk of sounding like a spoiled brat, am I the only one whose parent's paid for school, and made sure I had enough money to eat?

Did they give you beer money too? Because that's a whole different animal clothier. Parents might THINK their kids have enough for food but really some of that money goes to the bars, and the CD store, and the book store, etc. And the fact is that the University I went to (before CIA) had three meal plans: starvation, gluttony, and somewhere in between. Most kids got the somewhere inbetween meal plan and somedays that was enough and other days, like weekends, it was inadequate.

At the risk of sounding like a spoiled brat, am I the only one whose parent's paid for school, and made sure I had enough money to eat?

Did they give you beer money too? Because that's a whole different animal clothier. Parents might THINK their kids have enough for food but really some of that money goes to the bars, and the CD store, and the book store, etc. And the fact is that the University I went to (before CIA) had three meal plans: starvation, gluttony, and somewhere in between. Most kids got the somewhere inbetween meal plan and somedays that was enough and other days, like weekends, it was inadequate.

well, my college days pre-date CD's, and I was never a music buyer.

But yeah, I always had enough money for beer.

I lived in the dorm freshman year, and know all about meal plans, and the food at Syracuse was never anything to right home about.

I was a dorm supervisor as well as a fulltime student at an Indian Trade School/College. I also washed dishes twice a day. On weekends I took over cooking responsibilties; I was left with the food service menu and the ingredients. We never made one planned meal. Saturday afternoon we started figuring out what to do with our 'haul', and got cooking. Everyone was welcome in the kitchen. It worked so well that the caf. started ordering stuff we requested.It made a light thing out of a possibly depressing situation!! Man, those Indian Tacos!!!

My college had apartments instead of dorms. We had a cooktop but no oven, a full size fridge and a microwave. We still lived on Kraft Mac & Cheese, tuna sandwiches, yogurt and my favorite breakfast of toasted wheat bread with peanutbutter, honey and raisins. We also tried to make cookies for my roommate's boyfriend in a toaster oven we borrowed. It took us almost all night to bake a batch of snickerdoodles that way.

All that seems tame compared to a guy who lived down the block from us who liked to improvise his contribution to our department parties: blue cheese Jell-o, chicken ice cream (I think it was cream of chicken soup mixed into softened Mayfield's vanilla ice cream) and peanutbutter tomato sauce. Unwary freshman were often the victims of his experiments. After the first run in you knew to avoid him at all costs when he asked you to taste something.

Victoria Raschke, aka ms. victoria

Eat Your Heart Out: food memories, recipes, rants and reviews

well, my college days pre-date CD's, and I was never a music buyer.

But yeah, I always had enough money for beer.

I lived in the dorm freshman year, and know all about meal plans, and the food at Syracuse was never anything to right home about.

hey there was that baba ghanoush place.....

actually i'm giving you a hard time - my folks thought they were giving me enough money for food. it just happened to be going towards beer asnd pot instead.

Ramen noodles

fried egg sandwiches

generic mac & cheese dinner

canned everything

a memorable Thanksgiving feast with friends- the table was a guitar case stacked up on stolen milk cartons and mushrooms for dessert, you know, the magic kind? Hey, I was a kid at the time!

Melissa

more pasta than i care to think about (mostly in the form of kraft mac and cheese). rice, rice and more rice. and ramen noodles til i thought i would die from it. and yes youre right, infinitely more filling if eaten dry!

xo

"Animal crackers and cocoa to drink

That is the finest of suppers, I think

When I'm grown up and can have what I please,

I think I shall always insist upon these"

*Christopher Morley

In our suite we have an unconscious ritual that seems to occur at least once a week: sitting around and verbally fantasizing about the foods we wish we were eating. Each person will lifelessly talk about their current cravings while blankly staring at an empty bag of popcorn. These sessions usually focus on our cravings for meat (every college student in their right mind knows to avoid cafeteria meat around here). Then we disgruntley return our pathetic, unsatiated lives.

By the way: Armark is the supplier of our school's cafeteria. I shake an angry fist at them everyday. :angry:

I was discussing this thread with my brother. He's a grad of Michigan State university, the orginal land grant university, which means it's an ag school, which means they have cows, and fresh milk. His recollection of college is hazier than mine (he had no allergies to pot), but he said Willson Hall used to make fresh ice cream with the fresh milk from the cows. On warm days, they used to have lines out the door at that dining hall. This was back in the day when MSU had 50,000 students.

This is a depressing thread. :sad:

It's a depressing life. I need my official transcripts for a James Beard scholarship I'm applying for, and they cost $5. :shock: I don't have $5! I need that $5 for the train.

But I do have some leftover Goya rice in my backpack, to eat before my next class.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Once I made an artichoke in our hot pot, and used the iron for a grilled cheese while in the dorms had a meal plan but as a NYC food snob in Syracuse I found it wanting.

My First night of school I wanted to order chinese, I thought everyone in the country did this I was so confused on the pay phone begging the chinese restaurant to bring me dumplings, when they said they couldn't deliver I told them to just take a cab. I didn't know I grew up in NYC ordering chinese is a way of life. It didn't work.

I would make up my own things, I would nuke broccoli & cauliflower etc from the salad bar & mix it with theplain pasta of rice I could ususally get the food servers to give me, sometimes I would bring my own olive oil (as a drama major I could get away with this) eventually I succumbed to the lure of mac & cheese & other dining hall foods & gained my freshman 15

When I lived off campus I had a partial meal plan, I could get in to the food halls a number of times a semester or something like that. I found that plastic baggies were very useful, again did most of my food shopping there, bringing home bags of veggies, fruit, cookies, sometime dried cereal & cheese (we had like Cheese appreciation week every so often) NOTE TO COLLEGE STUDENTS THIS IS A GOOD IDEA though some what larcenous depends on you view of where college money should go, really what are you doing stealing from the football players steak budget?

One of my main "I spent all my money & drugs and alcohol" meals was pasta with tuna, parsley & garlic , I could gag even thinking about and god knows what all our breath must have smelled like. Also pasta with shredded cabbage, onions, carrots with soy sauce & garlic.

I don't think we ever cooked meat it was too expensive except for one dinner party where we made chicken parm & pasta with parsley pesto (basil non-existent in syracuse at that time) and a big jug of wine. That was when my roomates were being grown-ups the girls and thier boyfriends at nice adult dinner...then my friends came and it was less sophistcated but much more fun.

One of my roomates was on some diet program and she got boxes of disgusting freeze dried food, I have to say that I would walk a mile in the snow to get ramen noodles before even thinkiing about that.

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

i remember existing on the cheapest pasta, and sauce one could find. and sometimes added some frozen peas. that was about as nutritious as it got. don't ask me why, but we'd always get excited when the dining hall served 'broccoli cheesebake' (a mysterious concoction) and the 'choo choo burger' (chew chew, more like it :raz: )

If broccoli cheese bake is any thing like Broccoli corn bake I'd love it. Still make it every Thanksgiving.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

I'm in college right now, and here's what i consume:

Pickles

Ramen

Pepperoncini

Venison (Usually runs out by second semester)

Occasional trout

Those bags of frozen berries

Once and a while my mom sends me a care package which contains fresh cheese, yogurt, and sour cream from her friend's dairy

Also to second the Olde English 800, at 1.75 a 40, it's a price performer. And pot, of course.

"yes i'm all lit up again"

*Hormel canned tamales

oh..the horror! the horror! this sounds like something that should be banned.

Heh.... those were my entire experience with tamales until a couple years ago.... I always thought that was what a tamale was supposed to be like.

They really aren't that bad if you don't expect them to be anything like a tamale

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Ah, the infamous canned tamale!! The dayglo orange grease, the papers hermetically bonded to the tamales, trying to get them out of can without wrecking one!!!

I have no idea what you're talkin' about... :biggrin:

I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned yet:

Pop-tarts. Lots and lots of pop-tarts washed down with coffee (If you've ever taken p-chem early in the morning you'll understand!).

I had "meal plan" as part of my compensation for being an RA. Unfortunately, the cafeteria wasn't open when chem majors weren't: a. in bed or b. in lab. Therefore the cash equivalent of my meal plan was spendable at various snack bars on campus. Some had no hot food (hence pop-tarts and coffee from my dorm's basement mini-mart) and the rest were grills. I'd like to eat a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich to this day, but I can't, I just can't. :wacko: Believe it or not, that was the best option (other than the campus creamery made ice cream!).

The best part, of course was the end of semester "spend out your meal plan" junk food e extravaganza (no, you didn't get the unspent money refunded). Lots and lots and lots of 2L sodas and lance snack crackers and chips. Oh, and more poptarts. :wink:

I also would make "arroz con pollo" with packaged yellow rice, a can of chicken and frozen peas. I would serve it with cheddar cheese and sour cream. Very advanced! :laugh: That was probably the best of my experiments (ketchup and kraft M&C was one of the worst!).

Anne