• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining out in Frankfurt

I'm going to Germany for two weeks, and my friend lives about 45 minutes away from Frankfurt where she'll pick me up from my flight. I'm interested in what is in the city, but also in the smaller towns. I like German food, but I don't want to go heavy the whole time there. Is there a light German fare, and are there vinyard tours for their Reislings and Gewurtraminers? :smile:

Two answers:

On the expensive side try Restaurant Brückenkeller. Lighter fare as it's osrt of German Nouveau. Foams have appeared there. That said the restaurant has been around since something like 1652. Stone with arches, tapestries.

Easier on the wallet but more traditionally german, The Stork. I really like this place. Herring plate sublime. All the hits done well:

i6495.jpg

Have fun.

Edited by ned (log)

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

In Frankfurt, I recommend:

"Bistrot 77", Sachsenhausen, Ziegelhuettenweg 1, tel 069-614040

"Humperdinck", Westend, Grueneburgweg 95, tel 069722122

If you let me know in what direction (N/S/E/W) your friend lives, i'll give you some very nice 'Outdoor'/"Garden' restaurants.

Otherwise, make sure someone will take you to the "Kleinmarkhalle" in downtown Frankfurt, plus walk by the 'Gourmet' shops, Cafe's/Konditoreien on the street called "Fressgasse" (Grosse Bockenheimer Strasse) especially 'Feinkost Ploeger' !!

Peter

This topic is being moved from "Adventures in Eating" to the General Europe board--where there is a considerable amount of existing discussion on Germany.

The question about vinyard tours might also be applicable in our Wine forum, and I suggest a seperate inquiry there on that specific subject.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I spent a couple of months in Frankfurt 8 years ago.

I'm afraid I can't remember the names of any of the excellent and affordable restaurants where I enjoyed local dishes, but I do, inexplicably, remember the name of an exemplary schwarma booth that came to my rescue on the (few) occasions when I wanted something other than German food. It was called L'Emir Sandwich, and was in Sachsenhausen, although I'm afraid I can't remember the street, and don't know if it's still there and still good. Home made yoghurt, fresh parsley and succulent, spicy chicken. I remember it being very good.

"Zum Gemahlten Haus", on Schweizerstrasse 67, is a very "German" place. German dishes,

local "Apfelwein", sort of mild alcoholic cider.

You can also give "Adolf Wagner", Schweizerstrasse 71, a go. Very Frankfurt style.

Grune Sosse, JagerSchnitzel. Not very light and a bit touristy but worth a try.

"Bistrot 77", Sachsenhausen, Ziegelhuettenweg 1, tel 069-614040

I have been a couple of times to this place and was not impressed at all, food very average,

very expensive winelist. For French food, I'd rather go to "Erno's bistro" on Liebigstrasse, 15.

Try "Gargantua" too. Details on vigna's post.

Otherwise, make sure someone will take you to the "Kleinmarkhalle" in downtown Frankfurt, plus walk by the 'Gourmet' shops, Cafe's/Konditoreien on the street called "Fressgasse" (Grosse Bockenheimer Strasse) especially 'Feinkost Ploeger' !!

Definitely worth a visit, indeed !

"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'au-delà"

Francis Blanche

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. I'm an independent caterer and contract chef, meaning I can be many places around the U.S. for long periods of time. Haven't invested in a laptop yet, so I didn't see your messages till tonight.

Anyway, I found out on a yoga retreat in Sedona, AZ that the Europeans don't engage in the same bullshit as those in the industrial farms in the U.S., meaning that animals are not raised on food they can't naturally digest, hormones, and ant-biotics. If this is absolutely true, then I'll eat some meat and actually enjoy it.

I also heard on my retreat that there is a lemonade-beer drink that is quite wonderful?

Peter Wolf, I'll try to find out specifically where my buddy is from Frankfurt - appreciate the help. She would love it too, as she is a food enthusiast.

I get to be in better touch, so for those who love to share and write...

Thank you again. :rolleyes:

The "lemonade"-beer drink is called a "Radler" (in central and southern Germany) or an "Alsterwasser" (in northern Germany). Basically, they take half a glass of a Seven-Up type of soda, beat the carbonation out of it, and top it off with pils. Very refreshing on a hot summer day.

But as winemike recommends, be sure not to forego a Bembel (pitcher) or two of Apfelwein, or Äppelwoi in the Hessian dialect. It goes delightfully with a Frankfurter specialty called "Handkäse mit Musik", a fresh cheese served with oil, vinegar and onions, the latter supplying the "music".

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

For a local it's always funny to see those kind of articles...

"Holbein's" is just mediocre, a place for hipsters who don't really care for the food.

If you want to dine really well on the "museum mile" you better go to "Emma Metzler" in the Museum for applied arts ("MAK").

"Silk" is good and very unusual but unfortunamtely it is located in an industrial suburb of town.

"Zarges" is okay. The recently opened a gourmet restaurant in the souterrain of their deli that is said to be very expensive but not that good...

best

kai

We went to Osteria Enoteca last fall based its having a Michelin star. It is the only time have gone out to eat and felt totally ripped off. I don't mind paying money to eat. But nothing was special at all, and some of it was quite awful. I swear one course was cat food straight out of the can.

• 1 month later...

I am going to Frankfurt, too, next week (for the Book Fair). Could you recommend me good places near the fair grounds? (I know from experience that we are not going to want to venture very far out after a day's worth of walking around, but will want to eat something decent for dinner after the indignities of lunching at the fair)

Thanks in advance!

Middlebrow Catalan gastronomy??????

http://baixagastronomia.blogspot.com/

Not many choices around the fair...

A place called "Orfeo's Erben" is pretty close, it is a small arthouse movie theater with a nice restaurant in the house - quite okay, but not "michelin"-food...they have a website, too.

There is an okay restaurant in the intimate, elegant 5-star-hotel "Hessischer Hof" right opposite the fair. The dining room is very pompous (reminded me of an ancient luxus-liner...). They have a legendary cocktail bar as well. But both places are rather expensive (as is *anything* in frankfurt...).

As far as I can think of it, that is basically it around the fair...sorry...

But there is a subway in front of the fair that will take you downtown in no time...

Take the stop "hauptwache" and go to

"Riz" (tapas and a few dishes) or

"Walden" (cross-over) or

"Leib & Seele" (german) or

"MoshMosh" (asian-fusion) or

"Medici" (a bit more upscale).

They are all quite nice with okay/decent food...no "gourmet" stuff, though, but decent enough bistro-dishes...

And: they (and some others) are within 2-3 blocks...(just around the "Goethe-Haus", by the way).

best

kai

Edited by kai-m (log)

• 1 month later...

During the month of December, the best place to eat is in the Weihnachtsmarkt. There, you will find the traditional German cuisine you seek, along with the regional fare. It is inexpensive and in a beautiful atmosphere. Most of the large cities have more than one, and they are usually not all the same, so you can find something different to try in each one.

But, if I were in Frankfurt, and I wanted a special dinner, and price was not an option, the obvious choice is Amador. It is about thirty to fourty min. southeast of Frankfurt, but well worth the travel. They were just awarded their third star this year.

Well, personally I try to avoid the Weihnachtsmarkt as good as I can...but for someone who is not from europe this is of course something to see...

For "german specialtys" I would go to "Leib & Seele" in the city center: they have schnitzel, gulasch and schweinebraten at decent prices. At "Riz" they serve excellent "Käsespätzle" (egg-noodles with cheese and roasted onions).

And Amador is always the best place in the frankfurt area -of course with the current dollar/euro-rate it is pretty expensive (160€ or more than 200$ for the 7-course-tasting-menu...).

Have fun!

best

kai