• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[PDX] need some recos.

One of my professors wants to take about 30 students out to dinner in about a week. We are in SE and can't travel much further than belmont or cross any bridges. We have all manner of dietary restrictions to accomodate.

suggestions?

last time we went to Hoda's and, at least in my opinion, it was pretty deplorable food.

"The Internet is just a world passing around notes in a classroom."

---John Stewart

my blog

Are you guys at Reed?

Make him spend the big bucks and go to Caprial's. They have the $25 menu going right now. :wink:

There's a decent Thai place on Woodstock. The name escapes me right now. Vegans and true vegetarians often have a hard time with Thai, though, because of fish sauce.

Surabaya, maybe? I still haven't been there, but I tried some of their stuff at the Taste of the Nation and some was decent and some was good. I'm not sure how many people they can accomodate, however. They look at least as big as Hoda's.

Maybe some of the Italian places in Westmoreland or 3 Doors Down in Hawthorne?

yeah, Reed. We are on a budget, the prof can't swing something like Caprials. The biggest problem is space. 30 could never fit in Tom Yum (the place on woodstock) or surabaya. If we went to surabaya we'd take up 2/3 of the restaurant... i do know chef richard though. maybe i'll give him a call.

i want him to take us to saburos, but the Bybee brdge is out so getting there is a pain in the ass. that and lots of people don't like sushi.

"The Internet is just a world passing around notes in a classroom."

---John Stewart

my blog

What night are you doing it? Taking up 2/3 of a restaurant on a Tue or Wed might not be much of a big deal if you tell them ahead. Lots of people like guaranteed business as long as they don't have to hold the tables too long. Another smallish place is Nuestra Cocina. The prices there aren't too bad.

I think you guys should make the effort to get down to one of the places around Bybee and Milwaukee. I'm sure all those establishments are hurting due to the Bybee Bridge closure.

There's a good mexican place on Bybee just off of Milwaukie called Cha Cha Cha's. That's a great place to go "on a budget". It's in a neat old house. And it's cheap and good and friendly. I've eaten there a number of times.

If you can do Thai, there is a Thai place south of Bybee on Milwaukie, across the street from the Boys and Girls Club called Papaya Thai. I like their Thai. They will substitute tempeh for meat in any dish if I'm not mistaken. Interesting option for the vege/vegan crowd.

I think both of those places could accomodate you on a weeknight with the bridge being closed.