• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Costco in Canada

BettyK

Hello Edward J,

* I was told they accept American Express which I can get free of charge at the store. No problem there.

* What is the "Stoopid" store, please, which has dairy prices on-par with Costco?

Thanks

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Uhhh....That would be Superstore, a Loblaws brand I think. It pays to check out the CDC website (Cdn Dairy Commision) as tey usually have two price hikes per year, one is usualy before christmas in early November. A week before the price hike you stock up on butter to cushion yourself a bit.

Never was comfortable with Amex, and not many independant merchants will accept it here.

Aha. Peterpatch just got its first Superstore less than a year ago and we don't actually shop there except on rare occasions. Find their prices higher than the others, like Price Chopper and No Frills, although they do carry a few more exotic bits and bobs.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

To pick up from another thread... Nuts especially pecans are a really good price. Usually between $12-15 for a 1.2 kilo bag for pecans. Hazelnuts only appear before Christmas, and the dried fruit is good too.

To pick up from another thread... Nuts especially pecans are a really good price. Usually between $12-15 for a 1.2 kilo bag for pecans. Hazelnuts only appear before Christmas, and the dried fruit is good too.

Here in Ontario the pecans used to be 1.2 Kg packages but now they look the same but contain only 907 grams! :shock: Buyer beware.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I frequently purchase for clients from Costco

* instant mashed potatoes. The "blue box" brand (sorry, don't recall the name) contains only potatoes, salt and butter.

* shaped pasta (organic)

* milk. $3.90 for 4L jug

* whipping cream

* butter. $3.49 for lb/445 gm

* cheeses

* free range eggs

* tinned tomatoes. $2.99 for a 2.5 kg can (100 oz)

* tea bags

* unbleached flour, 50 lb sack for $20

For home, we pick up raw almonds, some personal care items, gift cards for the theatre, office supplies.

I have an Airmiles AmEx, and purchased the "executive" level of membership, which comes with a rebate based on purchases. The 2009 rebate was $125; membership was $100 (I think).

Karen Dar Woon

Never was comfortable with Amex, and not many independant merchants will accept it here.

I hear that the merchant fees for Amex are a bit higher than Visa or Mastercard, so smaller businesses choose not to accept Amex as payment. Also, many trade organizations (ie., chamber of commerce) offer a discount for Visa/Mastercard, but not Amex,

Karen Dar Woon

Thanks all for all the posts.

Thanks Karen, your post was particularly helpful. I've made a list of the useful items for us from your list and all the other suggestions given and will check it in our local Costco when I go in.

As for the Amex card...if it is free, and if I pay it off each month as we always pay off our cards, then I can't see any problem...at this point. Stuff, however, has been known to arise from 'no problem' situations before and smack me up the side of the head.

I'll report back anything worth noting from my end.

Thanks again. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 1 month later...

We are no longer Costco virgins. We joined and did a big shopping there this week. Exhausting to learn a new supermarket in detail and it's still far from a known quantity.

Found some good buys: pecans, sliced almonds, half & half, giant trays of fresh fruit pieces and also of crudites...good for big groups like our Annual Dog Weekend in August...whipping cream (if you don't want the best quality), butter (ditto). Also paper goods, soaps and stuff.

Of no use to us: canned tomatoes...can do much better on the same brands in a supermarket on sales...and this is probably the same for a lot of canned, packaged goods. They don't carry canned dog food which we use on the road or in emergencies.

Questions: stuff we bought but aren't convinced on the price angle: dishwasher detergent in big boxes. Need to look in the pharmacy area.

Oh we did do well on a 2-year old Balderson cheese wedge with the daily special coupon. Also there were some 'we take $3 off at the cash register' items. That was good.

The jury is still out. We have extra freezer space and lots of dry goods space but limited fridge space and only two of us except for onslaughts of visitors...we are expecting a large onslaughts of Aussies end of April...so we can't use the milk in bags, gigantic OJ containers, and so on.

All in all, it was...well...it was an experience. :cool:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 3 weeks later...

So now it's April 6th and we have shopped at Costco a few times. I would have to say that it probably was not the best idea we ever followed up on and that when our membership runs out, it runs out. But then...it may be early days... :hmmm:

Now I know a number of things they DON'T carry and wonder if a) other Canadian Costco outlets do carry the following or b) if American Costco outlets carry different items:

Fresh: eggplant, cabbage, squash, parsnips

Frozen: greenbeans (alone, not mixed)

Canned: dog food of any kind, most beans

Crackers: Wasa, Stoned Wheat Thins

Yeast, club soda, Jasmine rice, Chorizo

That's after four shoppings. Of course I still can't find stuff and what do you know...the aisles aren't marked.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I`m a Costco addict. But, having said that, there are some things I don`t get there - even when they have it. I prefer to buy produce at either the farmers market in the spring-summer-fall or at No Frills, whose prices are usually better for similar items. At Costco, you`re getting premium produce at quite high prices, and almost never (I could probably say absolutely never) anything locally sourced. Producewise I will buy: the large packages of romaine hearts (always a good value), grape tomatoes (better flavour, quality and usually price than elsewhere) and their skinny green beans because they`re delicious and I can`t find them anywhere else in Peterborough. They do often have eggplants (small ones) but the price is higher than No Frills but I don`t think I`ve ever seen cabbage or parsnips.

As far as the rest of your list - the DO have Stoned Wheat Thins. Or at least they used to last time I looked. Other items come and go for no obvious reason. I like their olive oils - the Kirkland is good and that unfiltered one is very nice. I also very much like the Kirkland balsamic vinegar. The muesli is excellent, and they carry big tubs of Liberty 2% plain yogurt, which is a staple in our house. The prices and quality of nuts is better than anywhere else in the area, and I do like some of their cheeses. I buy big packages of 100% recycled paper towels and toilet paper, both of which are not always easy to find elsewhere.

And I hate to admit it but half my wardrobe is from Costco. I work from home so I can virtually live in jeans and t-shirts.

The fact is that if you buy just one set of snow or summer tires, the savings has paid for your membership for the year.

Thanks for your answer. We are basically still just scoping them out.

As for no Stoned Wheat Thins and eggplants...from the Costco lad.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Costco here in Abbotsford BC is good for only three things: Parchment Paper, Mrs. May's nutty snacky things and Gasoline. We save about four times our Costco membership price every year just in the discount gasoline. And the parchment paper is only 12 bucks for a roll that lasts me about 3 months, and I use it all the time.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Costco carries different products in different stores. The store in Burlington, Ontario carries items I cannot get in the Mississauga, Ontario location and vice-versa. And items that one comes to rely on suddenly disappear from the shelves if sales don't meet a certain volume. It can get very frustrating at times.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks, Badiane. Unfortunately, we don't have gasoline at our Costco. I still have reams of parchment paper from a former accidentally doubled purchase and am not familiar with Mrs. May's nutty snacky things. I'll ask after them.

And thanks Anna. I seem to recall your saying that before about the one carrying stuff that the other didn't...etc. No other centre is near Peterborough and much as the local city fathers might like to think that Peterpatch is an exciting city...it's not exciting as far as shopping is concerned. Trips to Toronto are organized to pick up the more exotic and it's not uncommon for some one person to buy on behalf of a few others.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Mrs. May's nutty snacky things. I'll ask after them.

Actually, the brand is Mrs. May's naturals, and they are called Ultimate Crunch. They are a sugar cube sized compression of cashews, almonds, and walnuts with rasperries, cranberries, goji berries, blueberries, pomegranates and acai bound together with evaporated cane juice. Very yummy, and dairy, wheat and gluten free, kosher, celiac safe, vegan and high in protein. What more could you ask for in a resealable bag for 9 bucks

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

• 5 years later...

OK.  I am furious.  Costco has done it again. 

Recently at Costco, the folks who offer samples of products had samples of Kirkland's Artichoke Hearts.  Tried 'em, loved 'em, bought 'em, and ate 'em at home.  I had fallen into artichoke love.  Bought the double pak twice more and this week DH bought another double set for the house. 

Last night I opened the jar, full of anticipation, and discovered to my horror, the artichokes were no longer in oil, with vinegar and spices et all, but were simply dumped into water.  Why O why do they do this to us all the time?  Makes me so mad.  (Well, of course, I know the answer to my question....I just wanted to rant a bit.)

Found a recipe for marinated artichokes, cooked up the solution, poured out the water, poured in the marinade...but it's not the same.  And I'm still annoyed.  So there.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

OK.  I am furious.  Costco has done it again. 

Recently at Costco, the folks who offer samples of products had samples of Kirkland's Artichoke Hearts.  Tried 'em, loved 'em, bought 'em, and ate 'em at home.  I had fallen into artichoke love.  Bought the double pak twice more and this week DH bought another double set for the house. 

Last night I opened the jar, full of anticipation, and discovered to my horror, the artichokes were no longer in oil, with vinegar and spices et all, but were simply dumped into water.  Why O why do they do this to us all the time?  Makes me so mad.  (Well, of course, I know the answer to my question....I just wanted to rant a bit.)

Found a recipe for marinated artichokes, cooked up the solution, poured out the water, poured in the marinade...but it's not the same.  And I'm still annoyed.  So there.

They actually sell both the plain artichokes and the oil packed --- you have to look carefully to see which you're getting.  Been there, done that. :)  The plain ones are good to use in Greek artichoke stew:  https://veggiephile.wordpress.com/2014/06/28/greek-artichoke-stew/

• Like 1

Thanks Sylvia...I suppose my face ought to be red, but it isn't.  I'll look next time I go into the city with DH.  Shouldn't send a man to do a woman's work.  :rolleyes:   And I can't really complain...and don't about it...because DH does most of the grocery shopping.  

And if Costco is exhonerated in this case, they still are guilty in others.  :raz:

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thanks Sylvia...I suppose my face ought to be red, but it isn't.  I'll look next time I go into the city with DH.  Shouldn't send a man to do a woman's work.  :rolleyes:   And I can't really complain...and don't about it...because DH does most of the grocery shopping.  

And if Costco is exhonerated in this case, they still are guilty in others.  :raz:

They always stop carrying exactly the thing I like the best.    And in your DH's defense, the water packed and the oil packed artichokes look almost exactly the same -- why would you think you need to check?  

Edited by SylviaLovegren (log)
  • Like 1

Exactly: they stop carrying the thing you like best.  Exactly:  why would you think you need to check.  The 'marinated' bit is written down in red ink this time.

However, I am pretty pleased with my own attempt to marinate the water-based ones.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.