• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

prix-fixe/pre-theater dining

hi all, I'm finally planning on heading back to DC and looking for some suggestions. I said pre-theater dining, but for me, it will be before the DC United game in 2 weeks. I'm looking for something that is relatively quick, more on the gourmet side, and relatively cheap ($25-30 per person range) as I'm hoping to do Jose's mini bar the night before. Near a metro stop would be a big plus! I'm considering Palena's bar, but not sure if there's a metro station nearby.

Actually, Palena's Bar/Cafe is a pretty good option. You can't go wrong with that.

Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar

Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar

What day of the week are you talking about?

it would be a Saturday night (bad night in general for a quick meal). Any suggestions outside of Palena? I'm thinking Jaleo maybe, but out looking for some other places!

Jaleo is great if you can get there early. They don't accept reservations.

Same with Zaytinya. Both are near the red line.

Oh, and don't overlook Matchbox (more than pizza) or Ella's (mostly pizza). They're not "upscale" per se, but they are generally good about getting you in and out if you tell them you need to eat and run, and I really like the food and atmosphere.

Edited by JennyUptown (log)

I posted this round-up in an earlier thread, but can't figure out how to effectively link to just it, so:

Cafe Atlantico: $22 for the early 3-course menu. (note: I've actually done the minibar followed, within a week, by real dinner at Atlantico and vastly enjoyed it--the menus are separate, your foods and waiters are different, but it gives you a solid introduction to the kitchen's skills.)

Time-limited Drinks and Dishes at Andale, Chef Geoff, Corduroy, David Greggory, or M-Street bar and Grill. Andale and Corduroy, at least, are within walking distance of MCI. Washington Post on high-end happy hour meal options

and Les Halles (where I've never been and clearly has mixed reviews) offers 3 courses for $17.89 until 7 pm.

Edited by babka (log)

Cafe Atlantico: $22 for the early 3-course menu.

I have new questions that are a bit off topic. First, is the early 3-course menu the same or similar to the lunch menu (if not, what are the lunch prices). If choosing between the 3-course menu and the latin dim sum brunch (is a reservation required for the brunch?), which would be the better choice? Sorry, since the website is down, I must turn to all of you. Further, I'm making my restaurant plans now, but is it a bad idea with the many different offerings in DC to do an all-Jose weekend of Atlantico, Zaytinya, and Jaleo?

Edited by chengb02 (log)

not sure what the lunch menu is, to be honest. The dinner prix-fixe is drawn from the regular dinner menu--e.g., all the food on the prix-fixe is on the regular menu. Not all the regular menu dishes are on the prix-fixe.

the brunch and the minibar is an interesting experience--many of the brunch dishes appear, in a slightly different individual form and, most importantly, combined with other dishes, on the minibar. (no foie gras cotton candy though :sad:) . Brunch is a fantastic, long, drawn-out affair--meant to post a separate thread on this--but I took a dearly beloved visiting Bulgarian friend there on Sunday afternoon, because I needed the full year's worth of stories and she was catching a plane back to Sofia Sunday evening. If you're not able to sit for a couple of hours and just bask in the neverending play of dishes, and the staff's clear delight in the food, it's not a good choice. If you are--none better. It's like the minibar is the symphony, while brunch lets you untangle the individual melodies. No reservations needed for brunch, in my experience--it's always been pathetically empty when I went. And the service is much better for brunch than for regular dinner, because, as at the minibar, the wait staff has the time to share their enthusiasm with you.

Edited by babka (log)