• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Butcher Needed - Morris County

I have recently moved to Morris County from New York - and am looking for a Butcher in the Morris County area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. - I'm one of those folks who likes an old fashioned butcher and doesn't like to buy a lot from the supermarket - and my shop rite has a butcher in it, but i'm not crazy about it........

There is a butcher/Pork Store in New Providence that I believe is named "Barth's", but I am not possitive (my folks go there more then me). Can't recall ever getting anything that wasn't of excellent quality there (lamb/beef/pork/etc...).

Happy Hunting!

You might wish to check out Esposito Brothers in East Hanover. An old fashioned, family owned place. They have an excellent selection of beef, pork, sausages, game in season, Italian cheeses, and will do special orders for just about anything.

Esposito Brothers

90 Ridgedale Avenue (about 1/2 mile N of NJ 10)

East Hanover NJ

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

depending on where you are there are:

schwind's pork store on rt 46 w in denville/rockaway - wonderful german wursts and primarily pork products though they also have cold cuts and maltaushen

sussex meat packing in wharton - standard cuts of meat

a butcher section in apple tree in wharton - i buy my ground veal, pork and beef here as well as some things i might need like pigs trotters

i use all of these since i am in jefferson and have found them each good in their own way. i am now investigating some of the free range and organic producers in sussex county and taking my freezer - which has free range organic meat from up in pleasant valley down as much as possible

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Bobolink has grass fed, antibiotic and hormone free organic beef now.

42 Meadow Burn Road, Vernon

The following cuts of beef can be purchased: T-bone; porterhouse; NY strip; top round London broil roast; bottom round roast; stew meat, and ground beef.

Public tastings of their bread and cheese is at the farm Wednesday to Friday 12 noon to 6 PM; Saturday and Sunday 9 AM to 5 PM. Call 973-764-4888 for information or log onto www.cowsoutside.com.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I'll second Barth's Market in New Providence. Not in Mo County but just over the border from Chatham in New Providence. I buy my cold cuts there and I got an excellent stuffed whole turkey breast there for holidays last December. They do their own smoking as well so its a good source for slab bacon. Good selection of sausages, et. al. Maybe a good stop for a guy like Hot Dog John.

Thank you everybody - those are great suggestions.

Esposito's is the closest to me - I live in Parsippany

I've only been there for Pancetta, but I will definitely give them a try for meats...........

I also recommend Esposito's, it was a regular stop when we lived in the area. They frequently have specials on whole beef filets or chicken breasts that make it worthwhile to stock your freezer or throw a party. Also, they have some interesting groceries, frozen ravioli and sauces, prepared foods, etc.

You might wish to check out Esposito Brothers in East Hanover. An old fashioned, family owned place. They have an excellent selection of beef, pork, sausages, game in season, Italian cheeses, and will do special orders for just about anything.

Esposito Brothers

East Hanover NJ

Is Esposoto's Brother related in any way to the Esposito's that used to be in Madison (which was an excellent butcher as well)?

I heard quite the sordid story as to why that place closed...

Esposito Brothers

East Hanover NJ

Is Esposoto's Brother related in any way to the Esposito's that used to be in Madison (which was an excellent butcher as well)?

I heard quite the sordid story as to why that place closed...

Not related, they say.

The Madison Espositio store was known for its live chickens in the front window. Fresh killed, while you watch...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

In Rockaway we have the small but excellent Schwind's Pork Store on Rt. 46W. They do custom butchering, very nice quality meat. They also have their own smokehouse in which they prepare bacon that puts the store-brand stuff to shame! The have smoked pork butts and will prepare double smoked butts (ahh!) by special order. They make a variety of German sausages and have a small selection of European groceries. Neon sign in the window : DEUTSCHES WURST GESCHAFT.

Edited by estragon (log)

I have recently moved to Morris County from New York - and am looking for a Butcher in the Morris County area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. - I'm one of those folks who likes an old fashioned butcher and doesn't like to buy a lot from the supermarket - and my shop rite has a butcher in it, but i'm not crazy about it........

That parsippany shop rite butcher is one of the worst supermarket butchers out there. The chickens are absolutely hideous.

If you do any of your meat shopping at a supermarket, I highly recommend hopping on to 80 and driving the 10 minutes or so to shop rite of Wharton. It's still a supermarket butcher but the meat is noticeably better than Parsippany. Don't go anywhere NEAR morris plains shop rite, btw.

Morristown has a German butcher on 202, right off the green. This place is as authentic as you can get. The last time I was in there it didn't strike me as terribly clean, but the hunter sausage I bought was divine.

I will also second Whole Foods in Madison. Quite a bit pricier than shop rite, but fairly comparable to most butchers. I bought some boneless skinless thighs there about a week ago. Small (young), clean, fresh, and superbly trimmed. If I could afford it, Whole Foods would be my only source for meat.

Anyone know how clean Esposito's is? I've driven past that past probably a thousand times but the exterior made me think it was kind of a dive. It can't be spotless inside, can it?

Welcome to eGullet estragon and thanks for the information. Where do you like to dine in the Rockaway area?

We like Tim Schaefer's in Mo'town, GoodFellas in Parsippany is a recent discovery. We have a very good Thai place now in Rockaway on 46 -- Thai Nam Phet, I think. We have two kids, 7 & 10, so it's often one of the chain places if they're along -- too hard to concentrate on the food. They like the Teppan table places like East Tokyo, good fun at birthdays etc.

Edited by estragon (log)

That parsippany shop rite butcher is one of the worst supermarket butchers out there. The chickens are absolutely hideous.

Morristown has a German butcher on 202, right off the green. This place is as authentic as you can get. The last time I was in there it didn't strike me as terribly clean, but the hunter sausage I bought was divine.

I will also second Whole Foods in Madison. Quite a bit pricier than shop rite, but fairly comparable to most butchers. I bought some boneless skinless thighs there about a week ago. Small (young), clean, fresh, and superbly trimmed. If I could afford it, Whole Foods would be my only source for meat.

Scott123,

Thank you for the advice - i do buy some stuff from the Parsippany Shoprite (due to my lack & laziness about not finding a butcher) but it's mostly pork & veal.

I have to check out Whole Foods - i don't mind paying more for my meat, as long as I think it's worth it.

I have been inside Esposito's and it seemed pretty clean to me, but I was only in there a couple of minutes - I'll let you guys know when I visit again.

Thank you all for the replies - I really appreciate all of the suggestions.

Hi there - and sorry in advance for a long first-time post,

As a long time Morristown resident -now resident in So Cal - I felt I had to put my 2 cents in.

Morristown has a marvelous butcher/pork store at the foot of Market Street (where 202 splits to the left toward bank street).

Hoeffners is indeed a Mo'town landmark and is our last stop when it is time to head back to the west coast.

Is it a pristine store? No, definitely not.

Do they make the best hunters sausage, smoked pork chops, cottage hams in the world. Emphatically yes!!!

Our suitcases are always many pounds heavier on our way west. The smiles of those out here (in this pork store impoverished land) are always broader after a trip to Hoeffners.

I urge you all to give them a try, and if you wouldn't mind please tell Steve that Bill from California says "Hi".

A very boring way to introduce myself to the board, but here goes:

Anthony's (formerly Uncle John The Butcher) on Parippany Road Parsippany has always been pretty reliable. They've always been willing to order something for me, although I've found they're not always that flexible. (When I asked for five pounds of pork belly, I ended up having to buy all 8 1/2 pounds).

And I'll second the nomination of Schwind's Pork Store on Route 46 in Rockaway. It's more of a German deli than a butcher shop, and the selection doesn't appear to be as good as some other places, but if they don't have it, they'll get it -- quickly, and rather inexpensively.

BLOG: www.northjersey.com/foodblogwww.northjersey.com/foodblog

TWITTER: www.twitter.com/billpitcherwww.twitter.com/billpitcher

• 7 months later...
I also recommend Esposito's, it was a regular stop when we lived in the area. They frequently have specials on whole beef filets or chicken breasts that make it worthwhile to stock your freezer or throw a party. Also, they have some interesting groceries, frozen ravioli and sauces, prepared foods, etc.

Just a heads up that Esposito's currently has boneless skinless chicken breasts on sale. 10 lbs for $16, that's $1.60/lb. There were 6 huge whole breasts in the package, plus a few more smaller halves to make the weight. Not much to trim off either, just a little fat on the edges and the center cartilidge.

I also picked up a large package of dried porcini ($28/lb), just to not overly take advantage of their loss leader. :wink:

welcome hkarkanias. And good luck with your search for meat.

With cast iron, salt, and pepper we can all make steakhouse qaulity steaks.

Has anyone found a butcher offering or able to order prime/dry aged beef?

While Barth's did have some good looking meat, they didn't have prime meats last time I checked in. The Kings in the area recently posted signs saying it's not cost effective for them to offer prime dry-aged anymore.

Has anyone found a butcher offering or able to order prime/dry aged beef?

It's not in Morris County, but John's Meat Market in Scotch Plains has prime dry aged beef.

I've not been there yet, but it's on my list!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

sorry for getting off-post but...

IMHO there is a difference in appearance and taste of prime beef - for when you want to spoil yourself.

Business has brought me to Wilmington Delaware. There are two "upscale" restaurants on Union Ave which I decided to check out tonight. One steakhouse the other Italian influenced - across the street from each other.

Guess what they each charge for a 16 oz. rib eye?

$42!! Upon glancing at the menu and asking each host if the beef was choice or prime, I received a blank glaze from both restaurant hosts. They asked the chef on my behalf, and both places answered choice. Can anyone explain if this is justifiable?