• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bar Crawl

an addendum to the penn quarter grazing crawl, though not quite in stumbling distance of the next destination to imbibe nepenthetic liquids: the flying scotsman on 2nd and c/d (no not that kind). a lovely pub with some stellar food, i.e. scotch eggs. and oh that guiness braised lamb shank.... obviously not quite in the region of nocturnal alcoholic perambulations in penn quarter but if you fancy a walk. and the bar at bistro bis is quite nice, as is their cheese (oh here we go again...) but hey what are cabs for if not transporting inebriated people from one set of bar stools to the next?

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

Ah, I have no qualms about being grown-up or not grown-up - I'm just trying to avoid guys who think a great opening for a conversation is, "So, do you go to Georgetown or GW?"  :wink:

Imagine how that sounds when you're thirty. ARGH.

:blink:

Think of it as a compliment.

Before pregnancy began announcing itself so emphatically, Mrs JPW got the same question and she's got you by X number of years.

I, myself, would love to get that question, but something (going bald is one sign)tells me that it'll never happen. :sad:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Wow, thank you for all the suggestions.

I could definitely dig on the Penn Quarter idea.

My day is going to go something like this:

Midnight, run out to oh-so convenient store across from my apartment. Purchase some sort of alcoholic beverage, consume.

8am: Go to DMV. Get license changed. Pay speeding tickets I've been putting off paying for ages :sad:

Noon: Go to lunch/breakfast, probably at Trio, not because it's so good but because it's soo cheap and soo close. Will drink bloody marys with lots of green Tabasco.

Afternoon: Some sort of non-alcohol related activity appropriate to a birthday.

7-8pm: Go to comfortable, no-pressure dinner. Will eat either steak tartare or the duck with green peppercorns at BdC. Will drink Ricard and waters.

After: Go to drink. As the night wears on, will get sweet and talkative, then get too flirtatious, then get a touch belligerent. Will do my best to misbehave.

Thanks for everyone's help :smile:

You've got to do some sort of ridiculous shooter thing at the end...

It's gross, it's tacky, it's GW-y, but do it anyway.

Milk every situation you can, and don't think about money. Bartenders use their promos on 21 year olds. :cool:

Make sure your friends get equally drunk...

be safe and have a blast! :raz: