• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bar Crawl

So, the Eunny Jang 21st birthday countdown has officially begun (T-minus 11 days and counting). My drinking thus far has been mostly 1) at home, 2) at ballgames or 3) at the happy-hour circuit bars. Nothing interesting.

Given that, would anyone care to chart a route or offer suggestions for spots I shouldn't miss? The idea is to have dinner, then roam and drink for a pretty vulgar length of time. I'd like to stay at least within stumbling distance of home (17th and S), and am not a huge fan of Adams Morgan. Any ideas for really cool places everyone should have a drink at least once?

I'd like to stay at least within stumbling distance of home (17th and S), and am not a huge fan of Adams Morgan.

Have you been underage drinking at the Town House by chance :raz: ?

For the end of the night try Club Red at 1802 Jefferson Place, right below the Fudruckers at 18th. Open until 5:30AM with alcohol 330 AM weekends . Great DJs spinning deep house. Try to behave!

Edited by DCMark (log)

Whatever you do, be sure to end up at the office (BdC) for a big glass of Ricard.

Works every time. Don't let the smooth taste fool you.

(I wish I could remember more Malt Liquor ads).

Edited by John W. (log)

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

If your birthday is on May 15th (a Saturday), it's probably best to stay away from the office. That's when all the criminals, pirates and hooligans come out to play. And play hard they do. I've been witness to this only a few times, the drinking was quite vulgar.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

How can a restaurant named after a timid, glowing insect possibly be a destination for hardcore drinking?

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

How can a restaurant named after a timid, glowing insect possibly be a destination for hardcore drinking?

It's worked for me a couple of times.

Alternatively, Marcel's.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I went to Marcel's on my 21st Birthday and they rocked my world!

:smile:

The little Van Staden twins worked there at the time...

Firefly hosts dance parties in their restrooms on Saturday nights. Very cafeteria/middle school style...

You could switch gears and do a round on U Street (then maybe head to Saint Ex for a Chimay)...

Edited by morela (log)

Go for diversity. Sticking to the general Dupont area:

Brickskeller: Get something big, bold, or just plain out of the ordinary.

MMXXIII/Ozio/Red/Dragonfly/ESL/lounge-of-the-moment: But only if you can get on a guest list. Having to wait in line is the antithesis of a good bar crawl. Then again the loungey places are too, but that's another story.

Lucky Bar: Where you can sit on the patio and heckle people waiting to get into MMXXIII if the line's are too long

Mackeys: For as proper a pint as you'll get in the limited geographical area (better than nothing, says I)

Cafe Citron: Order mojitos. Drink mojitos. Repeat.

Fox & Hounds: The little soda bottles are so cute, and if you have friends who have never been it's fun to watch their reaction after the first sip when they realize that the T part of their G&T is a do-it-yourself affair.

BdC: As good a place to end the night as I can think of

Thanks everyone for your ideas...

I guess I should have mentioned that having had four apartments within a 3-block radius of BdC, it is pretty much my living room at this point. Was actually planning to have dinner there.

I guess now that I think about it, I've drunk (what is the past participle of drink??) at lots of the usual suspects, Fox and Hounds, Red, Lucky Bar, the Raven, Mackey's, the Childe Harold, the Big Hunt, the Brickskellar, etc. I was thinking less raucous party, more grown-up newish places with great bars (if it doesn't completely negate any maturity one might have to use the phrase "grown-up")

I like old-school drinks, gimlets and proper whiskey sours, so no $1 shooter nights either :)

I was thinking less raucous party, more grown-up newish places with great bars (if it doesn't completely negate any maturity one might have to use the phrase "grown-up")

I like old-school drinks, gimlets and proper whiskey sours, so no $1 shooter nights either :)

You could do a very good Penn Quarter crawl. Starting from the 9th street exit of the Metro (cause who'd wanna drive after a night like this?):

Zaytinya-Ellas-McCormick&Schmick-GordonBiersch-CaucusRoom-Zola-CafeAtlantico-AustinGrill-Jaleo-Andale-DistrictChophouse-RosaMexicano-Fado-RFD-Matchbox.

Plenty of old school, some ethnic, and a dartboard assortment of quality beer, wine and liquor. You could eat all night by grazing appetizers throughout, or have a full scale meal at any one of them and be happy (except for Biersch, Fado and RFD). And I think I've probably left out a few other joints to stop off at that others could add.

I was thinking less raucous party, more grown-up newish places with great bars (if it doesn't completely negate any maturity one might have to use the phrase "grown-up")

No, but it is pretty funny that you are just turning 21 and all those places listed are not adult enough. :raz:

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

No, but it is pretty funny that you are just turning 21 and all those places listed are not adult enough. :raz:

Ah, I have no qualms about being grown-up or not grown-up - I'm just trying to avoid guys who think a great opening for a conversation is, "So, do you go to Georgetown or GW?" :wink:

Ah, I have no qualms about being grown-up or not grown-up - I'm just trying to avoid guys who think a great opening for a conversation is, "So, do you go to Georgetown or GW?" :wink:

So if I wanted to, would a better opening line be,

"So, do you go to Catholic or American?"

Use Spirits Tour instead of Bar Crawl.

Actually, I think it sounds crappy, but I used it last year for something.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

There's always the Penn Quarter to Dupont sort-of-a-straight-line tour. Starts eclectic, ends emetic. Still, no worries, right?

Sangria at Jaleo.

Mojitos at Cafe Atlantico.

Homemade mango vodka at Matchbox.

Gin Rickeys at the Round Robin bar in the Willard.

Dirty Martinis at the Off The Record bar in the Hay-Adams.

Gimlets at the Mayflower.

Whatever you can get away with at BdC.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Use Spirits Tour instead of Bar Crawl.

Actually, I think it sounds crappy, but I used it last year for something.

What about eunny jangapaloza?

I love the Penn Quarter idea. Two suggestions: find out if anything is going on at MCI and time the night accordingly and hit Zatinya's bar.

Where will out be in 10 days at 11:59pm? Any thoughts on your first legal drink?

Make sure you put the water next to your bed before you go out :wink: Otherwise the second day of 21st year is gonna suck.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Yes. Water and Gatorade, lots of it. Legal hangovers seem to lose some of that rebel novelty. I'm not sure how much drinking advice you need...from the sound of it, you are out drinking more often than I am (and I own a bar?!?) Well, that's pretty sad (for me.)

Not necessarily in a feasible 'crawl' order, but here are some of my favorite bars, where I RARELY get asked which college I attend.

Cashions - Very cool bar, solid bartenders, nice music and the option for great food.

Johnny's - Same 'family', so it stands to reason that they would have an equally good bar. Less atmosphere but somehow more comfortable.

Westin Embassy Row, formally Westin Fairfax...(21st? and Mass) - Old school bar, fireplace, coves, a little stiffled but if you are looking for that Mature drink, this place would do the trick and then some... (I like it oldschool.)

Ginger Cove/Ginger Reef downtown is cool. (I've only been there once, but I had a good time.)

Rosa Mexicano - (already suggested) - we know the majority opinion on this place, but the place is well done (design-wise) and it's a fun, older scene. (you know hip new place.)

Four Seasons - Great bar area.

I'll think of more favorites later... right now, I need a drink. Happy Birthday in advance.

Oh, of course if you find yourself in Georgetown, I'd be honored to treat you to one of your first legal drinks at Mendocino. Can a newly legal boozer enjoy/appreciate a Turley? Just got this years allocation.

Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar

Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar

If it were me, I'd seriously consider the fruity drinks at TenPenh. Expensive, but very tasty. And they go well with the spring rolls.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Imagine how that sounds when you're thirty. ARGH.

:blink: