• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

most and least attractive bottles

(spurred by my recent post in the "shelf-life" thread)

i fully expect to be told almost immediately that there have been 2 threads already on just this subject but in case there haven't, which bottles are you tempted to buy just on aesthetic grounds (label, but more importantly bottle shape)? and which are the ernest borgnines of your bar?

my picks:

most attractive: there's lots of very beautiful single-malt bottles, but i can't afford them. i have to say that the galliano bottle is very attractive. likewise grand marnier.

least attractive or inspired: bacardi rum

This is tough because there are so many beautifully shaped or decorated bottles.

For modern, clean lines: Absolut

Clever: Danzka's metal bottle

Cute: Shaker Vodka (I love penguins)

Eye Catching: the holiday bottle for Blue Ice Vodka, a limited offering... but their regular bottle still fits the bill.

Stunning: almost anything that is truly high end

-Cognacs (Remy Martin's Louis XIII, Extra, XO Excellence; Martell's XO; Hine Rare or Hine Antique; Hennessey Paradis)

-Armagnacs (DeMontal, and another one that is triangular in shape whose name I cannot remember at the mo')

-Cuvée du Cent Cinquantenaire Grand Marnier

-Bacardi Millenium

-many Tequilas that I cannot remember their names... but Porfidio's hand blown with a green glass cactus in the middle of the bottle is pretty cool, and I love Patron's simple bottle shape.

I still haven't seen the acclaimed Frank Gehry's designed bottle for the luxury Polish vodka Wyborowa Single Estate, and I can't remember the vodka that has a ring on the cap.... There are just too many!

Ugly bottles of booze?

I'm not sure there are any! Just some are more aesthetically pleasing to the eye than others! :biggrin:

Ther are a lot of really attractive Tequila bottles out there. I can't think of brands off hand, but I saw one recently that had a glass agave plant built inside the bottle sprouting from the base.

"The Internet is just a world passing around notes in a classroom."

---John Stewart

my blog

I always thought that the Tenoch bottle was pretty cool. I worked for the guy who makes this stuff while I was in Mexico and he had some commemorative mugs made at the same place where the bottle is made when we opened the brewery in Tecate. They were really well done in the same style.

It's exceptionally good tequila, by the way.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I forgot about these guys. Great stuff in a bunch of cool bottles. The pear brandy is almost as good as the Yugoslavian stuff (whose name escapes me and google for the moment)

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Oh yes! I forgot about grappa. Rarely have I been of age and anywhere that it was available for sale. :sad: The one time I did venture into a LCBO, I did purchase grappa, and it was inspired by the lovely bottle.

I also forgot about Poire William. The first time I saw the beautiful bottle encapsulating that seductive whole fruit...

I'd also like to add, of the Japanese liquor bottles I saw on occasion while in Sitka, were also beautiful. I suspect it was whisky, and similar to this one.

What about Damiana? Unique.

Jewel of Russia Ultra

The picture doesn't do the bottle justice. Fantastic vodka to boot.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species