• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Hummus in NYC

Ellen Shapiro

My upstairs neighbors, an Israeli couple, recently gave me a 17-ounce tub of Sabra brand hummus with pine nuts, $3.99 from Fresh Direct. This is by far the best restaurant or store-bought hummus I've had in New York City. It almost exactly captures the creaminess of real hummus purchased in Machane Yehuda in Jerusalem.

Has anybody had better?

Here's an interesting article from Ha'aretz about hummus in America:

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/415853.html

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com

Kasbah on W. 85th just off Broadway has excellent hummus. I've also always enjoyed the hummus at Village Crown on 3rd and 12th.

Edited to correct a street address. Additionally, it occurs to me that I should note I haven't tried the hummus at Kasbah in about 2 years, so I'm sure if it's still good.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I'd be interested to hear all of your impressions upon tasting this Sabra product against those favorites:

http://www.freshdirect.com/category.jsp?ca...inelg&trk=trans

Be sure to let it come to room temp before eating.

Also did anybody have a look at that article? I love the section on "wiping."

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com

I've tried a few different brands of store-bought hummos (don't remember them all now) and would agree that Sabra was the best of them, by a pretty wide margin. But I haven't actually bought hummos in years--it's so easy to make I don't understand why anyone with a food processor would buy it.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

• 1 year later...

Reopening this long-dead thread to share my utter obsession with the product @ Hummus Place. It's honestly one of my favorite places to eat in all of Manhattan-- I hesitate to ask this, but is there anywhere that's even better?

I think the hummus at Hummus Place is pretty good.

However, I think it is on par with all good hummus in the city. Places that come to mind are Cafe Mogador (down the street), Al Bustan, or even Beyogulu. You can find good hummus in New York, but I find most of the good hummuses on about the same level.

(oh yeah, and I have a pet peeve with the hummus foul dish they have -> I either want foul medammes or hummus, not some amalgammation of the two dishes)

There's a place on the upper east side, just around the corner from me, that has hummus to die for. It's called "OK Falafel House", though there's no way you would know the "OK" part from the sign. It's on 2nd between 91st and 92nd. The guys who work there are great, too.

• 2 years later...
Reopening this long-dead thread to share my utter obsession with the product @ Hummus Place.  It's honestly one of my favorite places to eat in all of Manhattan-- I hesitate to ask this, but is there anywhere that's even better?

I finally made it in to the Hummus Place branch at 305 Amsterdam Avenue (near 74th Street) and was totally blown away by the hummus Masabacha, topped with whole chickpeas, olive oil and spices -- and served warm. It was categorically superior to any other restaurant hummus I've had in New York, and comparable to restaurant hummus I've had at cheap lunch places in Jerusalem. Also the first time I've had restaurant hummus in New York that I thought was better than the Sabra brand.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)