• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guide Michelin comes to NY

bloviatrix

If Thomas Keller was in the kitchen at all times I think Per Se would get three, but as it stands, I'd imagine they're looking at two.

Just curious as to what your basis is for saying that. There's an (often erroneous) assumption that restaurants suffer when the chef isn't around.

Edited by iheartoffal (log)

Nothing to see here.

From what I've heard, Thomas Keller is a very strict and demanding person. It's just quite likely that while the cat's away, the mice will play. Not to say that the food isn't great, but it may not be up to his standards. If my memory serves me correctly, the spate of Per Se bashings had occurred at a time when it was known the Keller was back in Napa and down in LA.

However, I have to admit that I've never eaten there and perhaps my comment was thus a bit premature. I'm just going on what I remember from reading this site and several other NYC foodie sites...

• 2 weeks later...

This week's New York dives into the Michelin anticipation games. There are sound bites from Mario Batali, Eric Ripert, Anthony Bourdain, Gray Kunz, Danny Meyer, and Tony May.

Batali thinks the Michelin ratings will be more important to French-born chefs than to guys like him. Ripert thinks Michelin will have a tough time displacing Zagat, but he admits that New York-based chefs all want the sense of validation that comes with Michelin stars.

Bourdain admits he's not up for any stars with Les Halles. He believes ADNY and Per Se will most likely get three, and that the guide will be influential primarily with Japanese tourists. Kunz says he's happy with his Zagat rating, and his restaurant is busy despite being dissed by the Times.

Meyer sees nothing but upside, since no one can lose a Michelin star this year. May wonders whether Michelin will adjust their standards to the American marketplace, and he believes the Michelin ratings will be similar to what the Times doles out.

Ripert's and Bourdain's comments seemed the most sensible to me.

If the Michelin guide is thorough and reasonably objective it will easily displace Zagat, and even the Times reviews, as a guide for serious diners. Even if I don't agree with their rankings, if their descriptions are consistent the guide will be of great value figuring out which restaurants are worth trying.

If the Michelin guide is thorough and reasonably objective it will easily displace Zagat, and even the Times reviews, as a guide for serious diners.  Even if I don't agree with their rankings, if their descriptions are consistent the guide will be of great value figuring out which restaurants are worth trying.

I thought that Ripert was right in sprit, not necessarily concerning Japanese tourists, but tourists and out-of-town visitors in general. For those of us who live here, there are already tons of ways we hear about restaurants; this will merely be one more. It's a bit like television news: Meet the Press had a lot more influence when it was one in three, rather than one in thirty.

The strength of Zagat is much wider distribution and coverage: Michelin will cover only 500 restaurants or so, which is significant, but still leaves a lot of territory to Zagat. The Times will still serve a useful role in generating buzz for new restaurants, but with just one review a week they can't keep up with subtle changes at places that have been open a while.

I suspect there will be a few surprise ratings in Michelin, but most of the stars will just confirm what we already know. I mean, Babbo's full every night, so what difference does it make what the guide says?

I'm confused.  The bigger online booksellers are saying this won't be available until later in the month (like the 28th of Nov.).  Can anyone clear this up?

Amazon seems to have it. From my account at Amazon with two-day shipping:

Items not yet shipped:

Delivery estimate: November 3, 2005

* 1 of: Michelin Red Guide 2006 New York City: Hotels & Restaurants (Michelin Guide New York City (Red Guide))

Amazon isn't really working for me. One second they say the estimated ship date is 10/31, but when I changed my shipping options it suddenly changed to 12/29. I called up my local bookstore and they were confused about it, too. The local Barnes and Noble said they wouldn't have it until Thanksgiving.

I assume that any news would be posted at http://www.michelintravel.com/products/nyc_guide.html.

As of now, that site says:

Pre-order the Michelin Guide New York City 2006 today for $16.95 (US). Orders will begin shipping in November 2005.

The Michelin Guide New York City 2006 features:

— Approximately 500 restaurants and 50 hotels reviewed by anonymous Michelin inspectors

— Detailed descriptions for every establishment

— Recipes from chefs at starred restaurants

— Color maps and photographs

— Much more...

This guide is perfect for New Yorkers or for any of the 4 million visitors who journey to the city every year.

I assume that any news would be posted at http://www.michelintravel.com/products/nyc_guide.html.

As of now, that site says:

Pre-order the Michelin Guide New York City 2006 today for $16.95 (US). Orders will begin shipping in November 2005.

The Michelin Guide New York City 2006 features:

Quite a departure in format.

WorldTable • Our recently reactivated web page. Now interactive and updated regularly.

Now that the guide is here, we've started a new topic:

Michelin Guide to New York est arrive . . .

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)