• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Childe Harold Chef Upgrade

Fans and/or skeptics of the Childe Harold -- long a mainstay of the bar scene around Dupont Circle -- should note that a new Executive Chef, David Fiels, harolded (pardon the pun) as one of Washington's top 50 chefs in the Washingtonian, has taken over the kitchen at the Childe Harold. He is slowly retooling the menu and already showing some definite improvements in the lunch time fare, as well as the dinner menu. Ultimately hoping that there will be steadier and higher quality output from the kitchen. The standard burgers and sandwiches will remain, but look for there to be some additions. Sure hope the prices remain moderate as they have over these many years. Next let's hope for an upgrade of the wine list and -- BRING BACK THE BOSS! :biggrin:

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Unless Rodney has passed on very recently rumours of his demise are greatly exxagerated -- he's alive and kicking at Blackie's -- despite a close brush with the grim reaper he's like the Energizer Bunny...

Unless Rodney has passed on very recently rumours of his demise are greatly exxagerated -- he's alive and kicking at Blackie's -- despite a close brush with the grim reaper he's like the Energizer Bunny...

No way! I knew he was very ill and had heard from a regular that he had passed. I may have to visit him at Blackie's. I owe him one that I can never repay because he introduced me to my husband. :smile:

You just cheered me up immensely.

Back on food - it will be interesting to see what they do to the menu, and how it flies with the crowd in the downstairs bar. :laugh:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

No way! I knew he was very ill and had heard from a regular that he had passed. I may have to visit him at Blackie's. I owe him one that I can never repay because he introduced me to my husband. :smile:

Back on food - it will be interesting to see what they do to the menu, and how it flies with the crowd in the downstairs bar. :laugh:

Glad I cheered you up. :biggrin: I am one of the crowd dowstairs.

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

Glad I cheered you up. :biggrin: I am one of the crowd dowstairs.

So was I. :laugh:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Fans and/or skeptics of the Childe Harold -- long a mainstay of the bar scene around Dupont Circle -- should note that a new Executive Chef, David Fiels, harolded (pardon the pun) as one of Washington's top 50 chefs in the Washingtonian, has taken over the kitchen at the Childe Harold. 

Where has he worked before?

Fans and/or Where has he worked before?

You know, he told me when we were introduced and due to the many brain cells that I have killed at the Childe, I can't remember -- somewhere in Bethesda called the Bethesda Cafe or something like that. He was the chef/owner. :wacko: